Wade Phillips to Dallas

FiddySicks

Which coach would you rather have, based on track record?

Coach A: 58-82-1 (1-1 in the playoffs), 9 seasons, 4 with .500+ records.

Coach B: 48-39-0 (0-3 in the playoffs), 7 seasons, 5 with .500+ records.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

It's clear that Phillips is pretty much an temporary coach for a year or two until they feel Garrett is ready.

According to ESPN, this is exactly the reason Phillips got the job over Turner. They felt that Norv wouldn't want to relinquish the duties of Head Coach to Garrett and he didn't want to be a lame duck coach before he even took the job.

Also, how good must Phillips feel? The Cowboys give him a third opportunity, yet it's more or less "hold the seat warm until Garrett's ready" type of deal.

Also, Phillips DID take three teams to the playoffs (Denver and the Bills twice), so he's not devoid of playoff experience, and wasn't quite a flop on the NFL level. Actually, his 29-19 record with the Bills was pretty impressive, although it's not really hard to coach a team with Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas and Andre Reed. His big downside however is his record in the playoffs, and considering Dallas's lack of playoff success over the last 10 years, hiring someone who is 0-3 in the "games that count" can be defined as puzzling.

I think most of Phillips' coaching with the Bills came after the whole nucleus of stars left. His best year (10-5) was largely due to Doug Flutie's leadership at QB. Then, playoffs come along, and Wade goes with Rob Freakin' Johnson. Music City Miracle happens, and Bills haven't been the same since.

Hmm... As much as that playoff win is tempting, I think I'd rather have Wade Phillips than Norv Turner.

LvZYtbZ.png

I'm still conflicted on this. I like Phillips but the whole thing has kind of a disconnected feel right now. I'll hold judgement until he announces his staff.

...and I'm no fan of the 3-4 defense.

He's already had the Offensive Coordinator imposed upon him.

Also, I'm interested in seeing how San Diego rebounds from this. Losing both Cam Cameron and Wade Phillips in the post-season puts them against a bit of a wall. Granted, this same scenario hasn't derailed the Patriots yet (although the circumstances are somewhat different) and one of us could probably look good coaching a LaDanian Tomlinson oriented offense, however I wondering how guys like Phillip Rivers and Antonio Gates will respond to a new offensive coordinator, and how the young defense responds to whoever the new defensive coordinator may be.

Also, I'm not a gambling man here, but I've been saying for many months now that I think Pete Carroll is going to be Marty's successor. I've said this ever since the Carroll-to-Arizona rumors started, and now that both coordinators are gone, and with new allegations at USC coming out of the woodwork daily, I'm almost certain this is going to happen.

i personally wouldn't mind someone like Mike Singletary. But i can deal with phillips IF he can motivate out defense. From what i hear he should be good for Ware like he was for merriman. Romo may suffer though but at this point, i don't think it'll matter nor do i care.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Well the Cowboys D should be much better.

But about the whole T.O. factor...He better find someway to bring Bum in, because I seriously don't think Wade can be the dude to reel in T.O. I think if the Tuna couldn't do it, then who in the football world can???

There's a problem with your logic. Those weren't the only 2 candidates.

As for T.O., they should cut him. Considering 1) the money they'd save against the cap and not having his salary and 2) the ongoing soap opera, he's just not that good a player. The guy is not dominant and he had some horrendous drops last year. If memory serves it was about 4th and 7 against the Saints and he was wide open on a crossing pattern. Ball was perfect, T.O. has an oopsie, Saints take over.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Archived