Rays seem ready to dump Devil

Survival79

Rays seem ready to dump Devil

A name tweak is among changes considered for 2008

MARC TOPKIN

Published February 8, 2007

TAMPA - When the Devil Rays unveil new logos, colors and uniforms for the 2008 season, they likely still will be known by their old name.

Or at least their old last name.

After considering a complete change of identity to mark the end of their first decade, team officials apparently will instead drop the Devil and keep the Rays.

"We haven't made a final decision, but we are leaning toward the direction of a change in uniform, a change of colors, a change in logo and perhaps a slight modification of the name," team president Matt Silverman said. "But it's unlikely we will have a dramatic change in the name."

That decision represents something of a compromise, allowing the team to maintain what brand identity it has and connections, such as with the new rays tank while exorcising the devilish connotation that some find objectionable.

"We've integrated fan sentiments, results from focus groups and surveys into this," Silverman said.

The new color scheme, expected to be heavy on blue, perhaps with yellow accompaniments, isn't likely to be unveiled until after this season.

0I3kSAc.png

We are wolves • Under the moon

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Devil Rays just sound better than rays.

What people are getting offended? Tell them to get lives, I dont think New Jersey bitches about being called the devils.

Its so stupid.

No, but other people complain about them being the Devils. Just what happens. If someone COULD be offended, they are.

In the D-Rays case, I just don't really care. Stupid, sure, but I just don't care.

You'd be surprised how many nutbars are actually offended by the word "Devils". Just last year, some NJ representative tried to make it illegal for the NHL team to continue using that name. As retarded as that is to begin with, it's even more ridiculous because the Jersey Devil (for whom the team is named, NOT for Satan) is a well-known urban legend bigfooty thing.

366678430_f28e9d99de_o.jpg

The "heavy emphasis on blue, with possibly yellow" part was news to me. Had we had that before? (Not that it's anything more than speculation on the reporter's part.)

No, this is new news....I live near Tampa and hear this headline on the local sports radio station.

You'd be surprised how many nutbars are actually offended by the word "Devils". Just last year, some NJ representative tried to make it illegal for the NHL team to continue using that name. As retarded as that is to begin with, it's even more ridiculous because the Jersey Devil (for whom the team is named, NOT for Satan) is a well-known urban legend bigfooty thing.

The difference is that the NJ state senator was widely derided for his lunacy, and the Devil Rays actually changed their name once to try and placate the nuts.

On the one hand, anyone who objects to the name "Devil Rays" for what they claim to be theological reasons deserves scorn and ridicule. On the other hand, it was a stupid name to begin with for reasons unrelated to church.

With a few exceptions, two-word team names just don't work. Heck, three-syllable team names are usually too much for fans. "Rays" isn't much of a team name, but it's certainly more sensible than "Devil Rays" or "Manta Rays" or any other two-word appellation.

As to the colors, I'm underwhelmed. Blue and green is a terrific combo, even if the Rays haven't really made the most of the combination (nor chosen the right shades of each). The AL East is just not crying out for another team to emphasize blue. It's discouraging to hear about blue with yellow accents. Sounds like the modern Brewers. It would be better for TB to use yellow as prominently as Oakland does; that would at least create a distinctive color scheme. But however they do it, blue and yellow is never going to say "tropical" to me in the way that any combination with green would. Even if they're keeping the current de facto name, the redesign should have started from first principles of brand identity. Doing so could not possibly have led to the use of the palette described.

20082614447.png

As someone who considers myself a man of faith, I can't begin to comprehend why some people are so frigging uptight over a team name. It doesn't bother me, nor does it offend me.

I'd tend to believe it's the play on the field, not the team's moniker that's keeping fans away.. That's just a hunch though :rolleyes:

i am all for the devil rays becoming just the rays. it isnt that much of a change, and i feel honored that they want to use my last name. if they do this though, they should also drop "bay" and just become the Tampa Rays, sounds much better IMO. I like the idea of royal blue(maybe two different shades) and yellow. no navy please. as long as it isnt yankees+yellow it should be fine.

Archived