Rays seem ready to dump Devil

Survival79

well if you look closely, the logo does somewhat resemble EPCOT Center.

epcot.jpg

well ok, maybe a stretch. they are both circles, anyways.

Ahh the beauty of the wand-less Spaceship Earth :notworthy: I see what you're saying though ;)

Devil Ray is the name of the species.

It's not an adjective.

This should be a non-issue.

Excatly.

Then again, if they would've had the forsight to go with Sting Rays or Manta Rays they would'nt need to change the nickname. But what do I know....

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've lived in Florida (South Florida of all places) and don't necessarily agree with what everyone says about having an open air stadium. I think playing baseball indoors in Florida is sacriledge. A few rain outs here and there is the most that would happen. People don't go to Florida on vacation to stay indoors. If you live there then you're pretty much already used to the sun so it doesn't really matter eitherway.

no one cares about the SUN....it's the RAIN. if you lived here, youd know that it rains EVERYDAY at 4pm from June-September.

As I said, I DID indeed live there and when it rains it pours mercilously for about 15 minutes most of the time then the sun comes right back out. From time to time it would rain for a few days on end, but then again thats the case in New York as well. So are you saying that both New York teams deserve a dome too?

Devil Ray is the name of the species.

It's not an adjective.

This should be a non-issue.

This is America, we make issues of non-issues....didn't ya know that? ;)

Like gay Teletubbies, to offer an appropriate example for today.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Then again, if they would've had the forsight to go with Sting Rays or Manta Rays they would'nt need to change the nickname. But what do I know....

The real reason they became the Devil Rays, from a February 10, 1995 article, Fans get a chance to name that team, in the St. Petersburg Times:

He also said he will not pay anyone for the rights to a name, which seems to dismiss some of the names often suggested - Tampa Bay Thunder, Tampa Bay Thunderbolts, and Tampa Bay Tarpons. Area residents Teresa deArrigoitia and Tony Karcher registered trademarks for those names, as well as Tampa Bay Tornadoes, last year, and sold shirts with those names. Now, they want to sell Naimoli the rights to the names.

"The ownership group is going to spend a lot of money for a team and we aren't going to spend a lot of money plus one cent in order to buy a name from someone who ran up to the copyright office and invested $300," Naimoli said.

Here is the reason why they didn't become the Tampa Bay Stingrays/Sting Rays, from a March 1, 1995 article, Baseball tours Orlando today, in the St. Petersburg Times:

Team name: Naimoli said he was "a long way down the track" on choosing a team name, along with team colors and a logo. "It's something totally unique yet reflects all good things in the area," Naimoli said. `No one will guess it."

The name won't be Stingrays. Naimoli recently made an unsuccessful offer to buy rights to that name from the Hawaii Winter League, which has a team called the Maui Stingrays, according to league executive director Bob Berg.

"It's a valuable trademark for us, and we did not want to part with it," Berg said from Honolulu. "They made an offer, but it was not something that was tenable. It was certainly not as much as we would have liked. They said they had other solutions rather than pay us what the mark may be worth. We wish them the best of luck."

The Hawaii league is a private independent league that operates under MLB sanction.

Finally, they didn't go with Manta Rays because of the "fans" and "people," per this April 3, 1995 article, It's official: Devil Rays, in the St. Petersburg Times:

Devil Rays stays.

Managing general partner Vince Naimoli said Sunday night that the Tampa Bay baseball expansion team will continue to be known as the Devil Rays.

There initially was strong public reaction against the name and Naimoli said he would consider changing it to Manta Rays. He established a telephone poll and 50,000 calls were virtually even between the names. But Naimoli said that after the first few days, the overwhelming majority of the calls favored Devil Rays.

"I am very pleased to say that fans reacted in exactly the way we thought that they would," Naimoli said. "When they had the time to take a look at the complete package with the colors and logo as it appears on team merchandise, they were as enthusiastic about it as we hoped that they would be."

The sale of team merchandise has been strong in the Tampa Bay area and nationally, Naimoli said.

"Everywhere I went the past two weeks people told me that they loved the logo and colors and that the name Devil Rays grows on you and they didn't want the name to be changed," Naimoli said.

Team vice president John Higgins said: "I didn't see any overwhelming support to justify changing the name."

I'd been hoping that they would change to Stingrays/Sting Rays, but it appears that Maui still holds the rights and I've heard no recent rumors of the Devil Rays obtaining them.

0I3kSAc.png

We are wolves • Under the moon

Should be interesting.

In other news, the Rays did pretty well at Disney. Drew good crowds. Wonder what they'll do with that.

Easy: make a new logo with the stingray as a sentimentalized cutesy Disney pal.

Kind of like Sebatian the Crab:

seb2.gif

I can see the character being called (what else?) Ray.

• 2 weeks later...

Word is that during the Rays broadcast last night, Executive Vice President of Baseball Operations Andrew Friedman said that the uniform and color scheme change would be much more drastic than the name change.

Tomorrow is the deadline.

0I3kSAc.png

We are wolves • Under the moon

Word is that during the Rays broadcast last night, Executive Vice President of Baseball Operations Andrew Friedman said that the uniform and color scheme change would be much more drastic than the name change.

I wonder what this means, as much as I'd like them to keep the green, I could live with a Denver Nuggets-style blue and gold though.

It means they'll be the Tampa Bay Devils and wear red and black.

That would be awesome :)

Hmmmmm....drop the 'Rays' completely and keep the 'Devil'.

Very interesting....(said with German accent)

I might like it.

"Drastic," eh? This can only mean one thing:

Tampa Bay Rays wearing Astros-style horizontal rainbow stripes. In five shades of yellow, with sky blue caps. And powder blue road uniforms, also with the yellow rainbow stripes. That would be drastic.

20082614447.png

They cant make their road unis as bad as the Dunedin Blue Jays (Single A Adv. affiliate of Toronto). I'm at work watching the game right now and they have very pale gray road unis and white numbers outlined in black on the back. Very hard to read.

Archived