Rays seem ready to dump Devil

Survival79

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
New article up.........could it be the Sting Rays? Also,.check out the "comments". More talk about blue and yellow.

http://www.bizofbaseball.com/index.php?opt...4&Itemid=42

That's the June article, here's the new one.

Tampa Bay "Stingrays"?

Written by Maury Brown

Sunday, 22 July 2007

Rumors continue with the Tampa Bay Devil Rays name change...

As we reported in June, a name and uniform change for the Tampa Bay Devil Rays would be coming shorty after the All-Star break. Now, that new name appears to be in the offing.

The new name has been rumored to be the Tampa Bay Stingrays.

But, word late is that the name will not be the selection due to some negative word bending... think "stink".

0I3kSAc.png

We are wolves • Under the moon

But, word late is that the name will not be the selection due to some negative word bending... think "stink".

I would LOVE the name "Stingrays"...

It would really make me sad if they rejected that name based on a potential 3rd-grade-level insult...

It would really make me sad if they rejected that name based on a potential 3rd-grade-level insult...

Yes, Stingrays would be good. And as a life-long Twins fan, I've probably heard (and used, I admit) Twinkies more often than Twins. It's just the nature of the beast.

Yes, because ignorant fans couldn't possibly think of something to call the team that rhymes with Rays...

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Well, when you're fielding a third-grade-level team ...

But personally, I don't understand why they would switch from "Devil Rays" to "Sting Rays" (or even "Stingrays"). "Devil Rays" is a bad team name not because saying the word "devil" will make you go to hell. It's a bad name because two-word team names will always be shortened unless both words are important and combine to make a unique team identity. "Devil Rays" just doesn't have the qualities that make "Red Sox" or "Mud Hens" good team names. "Devil Rays" is more on the order of "River Dogs" or, well, pretty much every two-word team name adopted in professional baseball in the era when the Devil Rays came into existence. Are baseball fans, most of whom have long called the team just the "Rays" -- like the team's home uniform says! -- going to say, "Oh, right, 'sting' is soo much better than 'devil,' so I'll start calling them the 'Sting Rays' now"? Of course not. They'll keep on being the "Rays."

Dropping the "devil" from the name is a sign of a maturing organization respecting its fans and acknowledging the obvious mistake made in choosing the team's name. Switching from "Devil Rays" to "Sting Rays" is a sign of a cynical organization that's trying to pull one over on fans with superficialities.

Then again, "Stingrays" is a great combination of letters. If the home script is as awesome as it could be, then maybe "Stingrays" would be an improvement after all. But anything short of the best uniform redesign of the last decade would leave the team in exactly the same boat it's in today: A crappy team with no real fan base and a name nobody uses.

20082614447.png

I'm sorry to hear they are going to change. They have one of the best identities in baseball.

If they were really going to do an overhall, change the name to the St. Petersburgh Pelicans and go with Pink.

That would be different. And cool.

Everyone loves a roundel.

I think 'Tampa Rays' has a nice ring to it, personally.

Yeah, but what do you think the City of St. Petersburg would say about that?

Never underestimate the inferiority complex of "little brother" cities.

Especially since the stadium is in St. Petersburg.

Maybe they should blatantly rip off a name from hockey's Russian Super League, and call the team "Army Sports Club St. Petersburg" :P

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

This totally reminds me of the Simpsons...

Marge: Homer, I've been thinking, if the baby's a boy, what do you think of the name Larry?

Homer: Marge, we can't do that! All the kids will call him `Larry Fairy'.

Marge: Well, how about Louie?

Homer: They'll call him `Screwy Louie'.

Marge: Bob?

Homer: `Flob'.

Marge: Luke?

Homer: `Puke'.

Marge: Marcus?

Homer: `Mucus'.

Marge: What about Bart?

Homer: Let's see... Bart, Cart, Dart, Ee-art... Nope, can't see any problem with that!

-- Stopped in the nick of time, ``I Married Marge''

FWIW, as of this morning, nothing on TESS for either "Tampa Bay Sting Rays" or "Tampa Bay Stingrays". That may be a good indicator, maybe not.

How current is TESS? Updated within minutes, hours, days, weeks? Sometimes government agencies are good about this sort of thing, but sometimes it takes eight months to renew a passport ... Plus, MLB doesn't always do a very good job about clearing IP registration issues before making decisions.

Anyway, InterNIC shows that stingrays.com has been in the hands of a speculative squatter since 1996, and remains owned by the squatter. But it can be easier to throw money at a speculator to get the URL than to buy a URL that's being used by a legitimate business, like the Seattle seafood restaurant that owns and uses rays.com. None of the other Rays or Stingrays-related URLs I've searched show registration to MLB or the Rays.

20082614447.png

Archived