Rays seem ready to dump Devil

Survival79

The new name has been rumored to be the Tampa Bay Stingrays.

But, word late is that the name will not be the selection due to some negative word bending... think "stink".

I would LOVE the name "Stingrays"...

It would really make me sad if they rejected that name based on a potential 3rd-grade-level insult...

It's like when Ottawa got a football team and they decided on the name Renegades instead of Beavers.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
True enough.

You know if Portland ever got a MLB club, they'd throw 100 years of tradition out the window and name them anything other than "Beavers".

I'd certainly hope Portland would keep the Beavers name. I can understand worrying that the team name might too easily be changed to "Stink Rays." But Beavers? The only things you can really do with that are the kinds of things you can't do in a newspaper, on TV, or even on a sign at the ballpark. I can think of all sort of puerile headlines -- "Twins Shave Beavers" -- but it's hard to imagine any daily paper allowing any of my ideas.

20082614447.png

True enough.

You know if Portland ever got a MLB club, they'd throw 100 years of tradition out the window and name them anything other than "Beavers".

I'd certainly hope Portland would keep the Beavers name. I can understand worrying that the team name might too easily be changed to "Stink Rays." But Beavers? The only things you can really do with that are the kinds of things you can't do in a newspaper, on TV, or even on a sign at the ballpark. I can think of all sort of puerile headlines -- "Twins Shave Beavers" -- but it's hard to imagine any daily paper allowing any of my ideas.

This falls under the category of "I :censored: you not": My friend has a Portland Beavers' t-shirt allegedly from the 70s that says this: "Beaver Fever...Snatch It!"

He wears it all the time, and it is easily the greatest t-shirt ever.

Cards.png

True enough.

Eh, my team has the initials "BJ" you never see that in print or referenced anywhere other than those 17 year old kids at games thinking they're the first ones in the world to think of holding a "I (heart) BJ" sign at the game (works for BJ Ryan too, I suppose)

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

I contacted my source within the St Pete Times about the "Sting Rays" and they in turn forwarded my message to the sports department. Here are two replies I received:

1. "Yeah, I've heard something along those lines. Didn't know about Stingrays. Thought they might be changing it just to Rays. Colors are supposedly also going to change. New players would help too."

2. "I heard the Tampa Rays effective next year. And, some new colored uniform."

These are two pretty good sources from people who are in the loop of covering the Rays. I have asked them for information before and they are always promptly responded. If and when I get more information back I will post it.

ESPNUAkron.jpg2002-2006 ALUMNI 2007-2009 ESPNUSeton.jpg

I contacted my source within the St Pete Times about the "Sting Rays" and they in turn forwarded my message to the sports department. Here are two replies I received:

1. "Yeah, I've heard something along those lines. Didn't know about Stingrays. Thought they might be changing it just to Rays. Colors are supposedly also going to change. New players would help too."

These are two pretty good sources from people who are in the loop of covering the Rays. I have asked them for information before and they are always promptly responded. If and when I get more information back I will post it.

TAMPA Rays? or Tampa Bay Rays? I've only heard the latter mentioned...the former wouldn't make much sense seeing that they play in St.Petersburg but I bet since it was a quote that maybe just how the guy happened to say it.

Absolutely zero chance they become the Tampa Rays.

0I3kSAc.png

We are wolves • Under the moon

I'm sorry to hear they are going to change. They have one of the best identities in baseball.

If they were really going to do an overhall, change the name to the St. Petersburgh Pelicans and go with Pink.

That would be different. And cool.

And that, my friends, is the Dripping-with-Sarcasm-Post of the Day.

But, let's be honest guys: pink would be different.

And cool. :upside:

Maybe they should blatantly rip off a name from hockey's Russian Super League, and call the team "Army Sports Club St. Petersburg" :P

This is a thread about MLB, not MLS.

MLS might think about taking your suggestion, though.

There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

When i first heard "blue and yellow", i was PISSED. I love the green, and the green is very rare in MLB. However, if THOSE shades of blue and yellow were used, I wouldnt have a problem with it at all. Sharp.

SigReflect.png

That looks like the Brewers' color scheme from 1970-1977: they used a darker blue than the royal introduced with the ball and glove.

This falls under the category of "I :censored: you not": My friend has a Portland Beavers' t-shirt allegedly from the 70s that says this: "Beaver Fever...Snatch It!"

This one?

801559d53252b42ef3bdc414676b4e54.200.jpg

Not "snatch it," but "catch the Beavers fever."

That looks like the Brewers' color scheme from 1970-1977: they used a darker blue than the royal introduced with the ball and glove.

This one?

801559d53252b42ef3bdc414676b4e54.200.jpg

Not "snatch it," but "catch the Beavers fever."

Same beaver, red t-shirt, but it definitely says "Snatch It!"

Cards.png

Archived