Rays seem ready to dump Devil

Survival79

That would be absurd for a team that plays in a dome.

Being a sun-themed "Rays" team that plays in a dome is no more absurd than being a fish-themed "Rays" team that plays on land. They may not play in the sunshine, but they sure don't play underwater, either. Let's keep a little perspective about team names and literalism, eh?

Shame, though: Stingrays had begun to grow on me.

As for colors, I think blue and yellow might still qualify as a "surprising" choice. Not for us here, but most T-StP fans aren't registered on this board. Pink would be very surprising; they'd need to make Sonny Crockett the mascot:

miami-vice-7.jpg

My money is still on blue and pastel green, perhaps with yellow as an accent. No one will see that coming.

20082614447.png

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As for colors, I think blue and yellow might still qualify as a "surprising" choice. Not for us here, but most T-StP fans aren't registered on this board.

But most of the info on this board is from several (no less than five? I didn't go back and count) references to blue and yellow in the Tampa or St. Pete paper. In my mind the frame of reference for "surprise" is not this board, but the Rays fans that read about their team on a regular basis.

If Rays fans are Matt Sammons' primary audience -- and it would seem they are -- and he's telling them they are going to be surprised, I don't think it can be a scheme that has been discussed many times in stories or notes packages also targeted for Rays fans.

That's my logic, anyway.

EDIT: Changed Mark to Matt above.

As for colors, I think blue and yellow might still qualify as a "surprising" choice. Not for us here, but most T-StP fans aren't registered on this board.
But most of the info on this board is from several (no less than five? I didn't go back and count) references to blue and yellow in the Tampa or St. Pete paper. In my mind the frame of reference for "surprise" is not this board, but the Rays fans that read about their team on a regular basis.

If Rays fans are Mark Sammons' primary audience -- and it would seem they are -- and he's telling them they are going to be surprised, I don't think it can be a scheme that has been discussed many times in stories or notes packages also targeted for Rays fans.

That's my logic, anyway.

I agree with CubsFanBudMan. About the only thing I'm sure of right now is that they'll be the Tampa Bay Rays.

0I3kSAc.png

We are wolves • Under the moon

If Rays fans are Mark Sammons' primary audience -- and it would seem they are -- and he's telling them they are going to be surprised, I don't think it can be a scheme that has been discussed many times in stories or notes packages also targeted for Rays fans.

That's my logic, anyway.

I agree that your logic makes sense. But I still don't think Sammons's "surprise" statement comes anywhere close to ruling out blue and yellow.

First off, a few mentions in the newspaper? Big whup. Most people don't read newspapers, and most who do don't remember everything they've read. Lots of people are in fact surprised when things happen that were predicted in the newspaper months or even years earlier. Not to raise the issue as an issue either way, but I have some hardcore conservative friends who claimed to be shocked and disappointed that President Bush favored amnesty for illegal immigrants earlier this year. But Bush's pro-amnesty stance had been covered regularly in the news since September 1999. Lesson: Just because you've read it in the newspaper doesn't mean it can't still surprise you when it happens.

Further, it seems at least plausible to me that when Sammons says fans will be "surprised" by the new identity, he means it in the same way suits are always saying that this or that corporate announcement will be "exciting" or "groundbreaking". Marketing overstatement.

It's also possible that Sammons just doesn't know how widely blue and yellow has been bandied about, if in fact that has become common knowledge among the general public in the area. Maybe he really thinks blue and yellow will surprise fans, and he's just wrong.

Finally, if Sammons convinces people that the new colors will surprise people, and this leads people to believe that it can't be blue and yellow after all, then in fact blue and yellow will surprise people. Could be a strategic choice of words to create a self-fulfilling prophecy and recover from a leak that the team felt took too much impact away from their planned winter rebranding.

I'm not betting on blue and yellow either, but Sammons's statement is far from definitive evidence against blue and yellow.

20082614447.png

Even though they play in St. Pete, I think they might just go with the Tampa Rays.

Sounds good to me.

<_<

Um, no....that doesn't sound good. With all of the urban areas within the Tampa Bay region, "Tampa Bay" as a location works. The name "Tampa" makes me think of the minor league Yankees that play in Tampa.

That's my logic, anyway.

I agree that your logic makes sense. But I still don't think Sammons's "surprise" statement comes anywhere close to ruling out blue and yellow.

First off, a few mentions in the newspaper? Big whup. Most people don't read newspapers, and most who do don't remember everything they've read. Lots of people are in fact surprised when things happen that were predicted in the newspaper months or even years earlier. Not to raise the issue as an issue either way, but I have some hardcore conservative friends who claimed to be shocked and disappointed that President Bush favored amnesty for illegal immigrants earlier this year. But Bush's pro-amnesty stance had been covered regularly in the news since September 1999. Lesson: Just because you've read it in the newspaper doesn't mean it can't still surprise you when it happens.

Further, it seems at least plausible to me that when Sammons says fans will be "surprised" by the new identity, he means it in the same way suits are always saying that this or that corporate announcement will be "exciting" or "groundbreaking". Marketing overstatement.

It's also possible that Sammons just doesn't know how widely blue and yellow has been bandied about, if in fact that has become common knowledge among the general public in the area. Maybe he really thinks blue and yellow will surprise fans, and he's just wrong.

Finally, if Sammons convinces people that the new colors will surprise people, and this leads people to believe that it can't be blue and yellow after all, then in fact blue and yellow will surprise people. Could be a strategic choice of words to create a self-fulfilling prophecy and recover from a leak that the team felt took too much impact away from their planned winter rebranding.

I'm not betting on blue and yellow either, but Sammons's statement is far from definitive evidence against blue and yellow.

According to Sammons, the new colors are something totally different than what's been reported. However, like BallWonk said, his statement is far from definitive evidence against blue and yellow. He only knows what his sources tell him, and we don't know the identity of those sources.

0I3kSAc.png

According to Sammons, the new colors are something totally different than what's been reported. However, like BallWonk said, his statement is far from definitive evidence against blue and yellow. He only knows what his sources tell him, and we don't know the identity of those sources.

Agreed. In no way have I ruled out blue and yellow based on that one comment. And I might be giving your average, non-logo-concerned Rays fan too much credit.

Even though they play in St. Pete, I think they might just go with the Tampa Rays.

Sounds good to me.

<_<

Um, no....that doesn't sound good. With all of the urban areas within the Tampa Bay region, "Tampa Bay" as a location works. The name "Tampa" makes me think of the minor league Yankees that play in Tampa.

Are there any other cases anyone can think of of a team using a name derived only from a metropolitan area, not the name of a city (or, of course, a state or multistate region)? To me, it seems a little minor league to name a team after a body of water, always has. I know that Tampa is the name of one single municipality in the region, but would anyone object if say the Giants played in South San Francisco but remained the San Francisco Giants? I'm pretty sure no one would seriously propose they call themselves the San Francisco Bay Giants, or the Bay Area Giants. For the most part, major-league teams are named for the principal city in their metropolitan area (not necessarily the largest or the one they are in (New York Giants)) when possible, or, failing that, for the state (Minnesota Twins) or region (New England Patriots).

There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Sounds good to me.

<_<

Are there any other cases anyone can think of of a team using a name derived only from a metropolitan area, not the name of a city (or, of course, a state or multistate region)? To me, it seems a little minor league to name a team after a body of water, always has. I know that Tampa is the name of one single municipality in the region, but would anyone object if say the Giants played in South San Francisco but remained the San Francisco Giants? I'm pretty sure no one would seriously propose they call themselves the San Francisco Bay Giants, or the Bay Area Giants. For the most part, major-league teams are named for the principal city in their metropolitan area (not necessarily the largest or the one they are in (New York Giants)) when possible, or, failing that, for the state (Minnesota Twins) or region (New England Patriots).

Tampa Bay simply refers to the metropolitan area of Tampa, St. Pete, Clearwater and a few other cities that are in the vicinity. The only name that is not a city or area is the "Golden State" Warriors.

Apparently, there is a great deal of rivalry between Tampa and St. Pete. So they feel naming the team after one will alienate the other (especially problematic when they play in the "little brother" city).

It's a little like Minnesota - they were afraid that residents of St. Paul wouldn't turn out to watch a "Minneapolis" team, so they took the then-unprecedented step of naming them after the state, even to the point of avoiding an "M" on the cap, for fear that it would be misinterpreted as a city initial rather then a state initial.

Unfortunately, the state isn't a good option if there's already a team using the state name. So they're stuck with a regional name, and one with a precedent. They made the right call.

I disagree. Was it arrogant for the Marlins to call themselves the Florida Marlins?

Was it arrogant for the Rockies to call themselves the Colorado Rockies?

So you are going to say that they are the only teams in their states.

It doesn't matter to me.

How about California Angels? Texas Rangers?

Do the Rays play in Florida?

If yes, the name fits.

Everyone loves a roundel.

It'll be Blue and Yellow....anyone want to make any friendly wagers? B)

As for the naming. I don't think its anymore arrogant for a team in Tampa to name themselves 'Florida' then a team in Miami. I just think its simply not smart for them to do so considering the fact that they have a really great name that is more specific (i.e. Tampa Bay) than Florida, which basically means they could be from anywhere between Pensacola to Key West. Same applies to the Marlins. I've always thought they should have gone with the much more recognizable 'Miami' moniker over the too broad and overly encompassing FLORIDA name. Naming teams after states should be done so with caution, especially when there are other teams in that state. I submit to you the California Angels as further evidence. The 'Los Angeles Angels of what ever the heck' is much better than California IMO.

This is not a bad idea at all. Short of having another dreaded poll, we should keep a tally of what the new color palette will be. It's a quantifiable bet, unlike having a bet as to if we think the new look is better than the old.

The winners have free reign to gloat to the end of days, and the blue-yellow losers like Mr. Powersurge will only be able to hang their heads in defeat.

With that said, I, the Blackjack dealer of these forums, will go with:

1. Cerulean - a range of colors from deep blue, sky-blue, bright blue or azure color through greenish blue colors

2. Coral

3. Deep, Dark Gold

4. Midnight Blue

Who's with me?

Cards.png

This is not a bad idea at all. Short of having another dreaded poll, we should keep a tally of what the new color palette will be. It's a quantifiable bet, unlike having a bet as to if we think the new look is better than the old.

The winners have free reign to gloat to the end of days, and the blue-yellow losers like Mr. Powersurge will only be able to hang their heads in defeat.

With that said, I, the Blackjack dealer of these forums, will go with:

1. Cerulean - a range of colors from deep blue, sky-blue, bright blue or azure color through greenish blue colors

2. Coral

3. Deep, Dark Gold

4. Midnight Blue

Who's with me?

*Raises hand*

B)

0I3kSAc.png

Archived