Rays seem ready to dump Devil

Survival79

I just found out that I have tickets for next sundays Jays game againt the Rays. Not only will it be the Jays last game of the season but also the Rays last game with the word "Devil" in their identity. I will now be able to claim I have been to a quasi historical game, lol. I'll take pics if there is anything worth taking pics of.

See ya there... maybe

You best be coming!!! I will be sitting in aisle 141, row 2. Gimme a shout when you know for sure.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On a related tack, does anyone know where I can pick up a 1998 Devil Ray cap... the one with the devil ray in a gradient oval... before they started slathering "TB" on their hats? I had one when the team was first started selling merchandise but have misplaced it, and I can't seem to find one anywhere.

Hopefully this will work for you.

0I3kSAc.png

We are wolves • Under the moon

On a related tack, does anyone know where I can pick up a 1998 Devil Ray cap... the one with the devil ray in a gradient oval... before they started slathering "TB" on their hats? I had one when the team was first started selling merchandise but have misplaced it, and I can't seem to find one anywhere.

Hopefully this will work for you.

I'd forgotten about Mickey's. Thanks, 79!

nav-logo.png

I just found out that I have tickets for next sundays Jays game againt the Rays. Not only will it be the Jays last game of the season but also the Rays last game with the word "Devil" in their identity. I will now be able to claim I have been to a quasi historical game, lol. I'll take pics if there is anything worth taking pics of.

See ya there... maybe

You best be coming!!!

That's what HE said. ^_^

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

See ya there... maybe

You best be coming!!! I will be sitting in aisle 141, row 2. Gimme a shout when you know for sure.

141? Non-alcohol section for you.

I'll be doing my usual buy a $9 ticket and wander until I find a place to sit somewhere close :)

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

See ya there... maybe

141? Non-alcohol section for you.

I'll be doing my usual buy a $9 ticket and wander until I find a place to sit somewhere close :)

Eh, I'm not going to complain about free tickets. :)

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

3. Identity (or should I say lack of)... Sort of fitting for a team now with two logos that are two totally different things, but then again, Tampa has had a lack of an identity (unless you consider losing) one.
Perhaps they're leaving Tampa Bay off the road uniforms to make it easier to play more games in Orlando -- like they did this year -- or other places, establishing more of a regional identity.
As if "Tampa Bay" wasn't already a regional identity....

I'm convinced this ownership wants Florida in the name. I wouldn't be shocked at all if the following, which has been discussed before on this board, occurred:

1. Florida Marlins become the Miami Marlins (or relocate).

2. Tampa Bay Rays become the Florida Rays with a complete identity shift to sun rays.

0I3kSAc.png

3. Identity (or should I say lack of)... Sort of fitting for a team now with two logos that are two totally different things, but then again, Tampa has had a lack of an identity (unless you consider losing) one.
Perhaps they're leaving Tampa Bay off the road uniforms to make it easier to play more games in Orlando -- like they did this year -- or other places, establishing more of a regional identity.

I'm convinced this ownership wants Florida in the name. I wouldn't be shocked at all if the following, which has been discussed before on this board, occurred:

2. Tampa Bay Rays become the Florida Rays with a complete identity shift to sun rays.

jacksonville_suns_new2.gif

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

That "sun" is giving us the People's Eyebrow.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

If the Marlins ever get a stadium, they have agreed to change to the Miami Marlins as a condition of the financing. The Florida Rays sounds better than the Tampa Bay Rays.

jacksonville_suns_new2.gif

All I can think is, "raisins....raisins....buy....more....raisins...."

Oh yeah, almost forgot: :therock: :therock: :therock:

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

Is there any reason they both couldn't use "Florida"? MLB doesn't have a problem with two teams using "New York" and "Los Angeles".

If they really want the name, they need only take it.

If the Marlins ever get a stadium, they have agreed to change to the Miami Marlins as a condition of the financing. The Florida Rays sounds better than the Tampa Bay Rays.

The Marlins should have been named 'Miami Marlins' from the start so the change would be a long time coming. As for the 'Rays' I personally think that either of the names would be acceptable and very marketable, provided the team stops sucking. Of course if they keep pummeling the Spankees like they did last night I think they'd be on the right path.

As for the comment about whether there could be TWO Florida franchises utilizing the same state name, I don't like it but it could happen. I think comparing the multiple use of a state name with the multiple use of a city name is valid, but not conducive to marketing and identity especially if the two teams are hundreds of miles apart. Its easier to market teams within the same city and or general locale with the same name.

I can't think of a league that has an example of using a state name twice. I think the reasons for that might stem from what I mentioned early, but if someone has an example please enlighten me. I haven't finished my first cup o' joe for the day so my brain could be missing some obvious examples.

Is there any reason they both couldn't use "Florida"? MLB doesn't have a problem with two teams using "New York" and "Los Angeles".

If they really want the name, they need only take it.

I don't see any reason why they couldn't other than the organization's desire for a gradual change. They probably didn't want to have any overlap with the Florida Marlins and I would imagine they'd wait at least one season after the Florida Marlins became the Miami Marlins to become the Florida Rays.

They kept aspects from the previous identity to maintain some consistency, such as the devil ray on the sleeve and of course the name Rays. Then, in a shift towards the new direction, they added a small reference to rays of sunshine and removed the team location off of the roads.

This of course has left them with two separate identities, which the organization can now test in order to gauge fan support. They were probably terrified of making a full shift to Rays (of sunshine). I mean, this is an organization that didn't pick Stingrays because they were worried about people calling them the Stinkrays.

As it stands, once the Marlins drop Florida the Rays can wait a season and become the Florida Rays (of sunshine). All they would have to do is drop the devil ray off the sleeve and put an F on the cap. Transition complete.

If they want to become the Florida Rays (animal) all they have to do is get rid of the tiny sunburst and put an F on the cap. This would give them the opportunity to say "we've always been rays of the water, etc., etc."

I just can't imagine them introducing the rays of sunshine element without the possibility of it becoming the sole team identity in the future.

Then again, most of what they've done up until now hasn't made any sense.

0I3kSAc.png

I'll grant you that one. :D

But even for the Devil Rays, this doesn't make sense. How are they supposed to test which of their two overlapping identities the fans prefer?

And what leads you to believe that "the organization (has a) desire for a gradual change"? Specifically the gradual part?

Archived