Beloit Buccaneers

js °

I was reading an interesting thread about the Tampa Bay Buccaneers original logo, and its remarkable similarity to the Beloit College logo, apparently in existance before the Bucs.

So, I started thinking about Bucco Bruce, and trying to do the unthinkable .. and try and make Bucco work well for a legitimate look (sorry to the creamsicle fans, but that Bucco looks like the kind of guy you don't want to be left alone with in the bar at the end of the night, and not for the reason he SHOULD look that way). So first I basically updated the colors to what they currently have:

id_01a.jpg

id_01b.jpg

Then I started really thinking about how amazingly overdetailed this thing is. So much so, that to even call this a 'logo' in the modern day is stretching the definition. Its a well executed illustration, but not very succesful as a logo. It was at this point that me and my brain had a little conversation ... I tried letting him know that I would appreciate his cooperation doing the work that I should be doing, rather than getting off track and doing this thing. My brain didn't want to hear me out, I don't think he respects me too much. So anyways ... what I tried to do is a basic update on this thing to see if I could make it work ... in the current design world.

id_01c.jpg

I thought then about how, even if I was to make this thing work well as a logo, its not going to be anything better than what they have. The skull and bones flag, and the ship both are fantastic and much more menacing than this guy would ever be (he's always appeared to be the angel to Raiders devil ... looking like his creampuff rival.

I then thought about how well this would work for the Beloit Buccaneers with their color scheme, and the fact that they can actually benefit from this. So, heres this:

id_01e.jpg

My brain then had an interesting idea for the uniform design ... I tried very hard to reason with it, but I'm really not much good at anything without him ... so this came out of it:

uni_01a.jpg

uni_01b.jpg

uni_01c.jpg

uni_01d.jpg

I went for a one sided feather sticker (this mimics the idea of the Rams, Vikings and others, combined with the uniqueness of the Steelers). The uni itself I wanted something simple and classic to allude to the English Colonial Era, when the golden age of piracy was. Let me know what you all think ... love the feedback.

As usual, great work. I have yet to see something of yours that I didn't like. The logo looks much better, it looks good with both color schemes. One thing I think may make it look better, (or maybe not) is if you made the handle part of the sword gold. I could be wrong though. Maybe make the sword a little bit longer too. As far as the uniforms, I like them. I like when home uniforms can get away with using no white. It works with this color scheme. I am not sure whether or not I like the feather.

MegatronSig2.jpg

Not a big fan of the black helmet, doesn't contrast well with the logo. Perhaps you should try the red. I've always thought that the best helmet the Falcons ever had was the red one and this is a similar palette.

Also, as a practical matter, you don't want black home jerseys in an open air stadium in a sub-tropical climate, at least if you don't want people dropping with heat stroke. I would say a red home jersey with a gold dust (that's what the color has always reminded me of) alternate.

cttdolphins2.png

I definitely think Bruce reads better in the blue and gold scheme - I think for me there should be slightly more detail in the feather/hat - If I didn't know what the Bucco Bruce logo looked like, that might be a bit confusing. Also, right now it looks as if he is barely holding the knife in his teeth - I don't know how you'd do it, but you may want to somehow make the knife sit back further in his jaw. I'm not a huge fan of the feather as the logo on the gold unis helmets (esp. only on the one side) but it's different and unique, so points for that. I love the simplification that you've done - it's way more suitable for something such as embroidery - great job.

OD_Signature.jpg

THe logo update is simply unbelievable. It's practically perfection. I'll throw out a "ya, I agree" with Gordie, it looks better in blue and gold, although obviously the pewter and red would make more sense, being the Buccos. Also, I'm not feeling the feather on the helmet...it's different, but just not really working as well as the logo for the helmet.

For the uniforms, they're very simple and plain, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I'm a fan of simple unis, personally. For the blue/gold ones, I'm really not feeling the eroded number font. Some pants stripes might help, but I like the simplicity of the sleeve ones. For the red/pewter set, I agree with Gordie that the black helmet's not working. I think it's just that the logo's primarily black around the outside, from a distance, you'd probably lose the contour of the hair and hat. I really like the striping on the last one(white)...I kind of wish the same striping was used on the other two.

Great job in general...your work never ceases to amaze. Keep it up.

the jagged edges of the numbers bother me on the uniform and despite the creativity, i'm not a fan of the feather only look - overall, i really like the update - i agree with gordie that it really translates well in beloit's colors

submit it to the beloit ad...and while your at it...ask him (or her) when they started using that logo to give me a definate answer to the original question that spawned this idea for you :)

as always, great work

jldesigns404eo.png

Archived