Powder blues? return a complicated deal

Royals Insider

Don?t be surprised if your beloved powder-blue Royals uniforms make a brief comeback sometime in 2007.

Yes, the Royals have discussed the possibility of bringing back the powder blues for one night ? to be honest, the Royals always talk about the powder blues.

The Royals revisit the idea often because they know full well there?s a coalition of Royals fans out there begging for the powder blues. They hear from them all the time. That?s why the Royals wheeled out the powder-blue T-shirts a few years back.

But bringing back the powder-blue uniforms, even if for one night, is a bit more complicated.

For one thing, to be historically accurate, the powder blues would have to make their return on the road. That begs the question: Is it really worth it, in terms of impact, to bring them back on the road?

True, the Royals could just ignore the historical aspect and bring back the powder blues at home for their fans to see up close.

But there are even a few hurdles for that. For example, does the opponent wear its home uniforms? Or can you get away with two teams wearing their road uniforms in the same game?

That?s something Major League Baseball will have to decide.

Also on the subject of uniforms, the Royals have set the date to wear their Monarchs uniforms ? July 1 against the Chicago White Sox. The White Sox will wear the uniforms of the 1945 Chicago American Giants.

The Kansas City Star

For example, does the opponent wear its home uniforms? Or can you get away with two teams wearing their road uniforms in the same game?

Didn't someone post a picture here a couple of weeks ago with both teams wearing dark alternates? I think it was in the Oakland A's black jersey thread.

For example, does the opponent wear its home uniforms? Or can you get away with two teams wearing their road uniforms in the same game?

Didn't someone post a picture here a couple of weeks ago with both teams wearing dark alternates? I think it was in the Oakland A's black jersey thread.

Yeah, if that's acceptable (and it was the Royals, to boot) I don't see why one team wearing light blue and the other in gray would be a problem (how about against the Yankees? Invoke those great battles from the late 70s). Make it happen.

For one thing, to be historically accurate, the powder blues would have to make their return on the road. That begs the question: Is it really worth it, in terms of impact, to bring them back on the road?

Perhaps soon, people in Kansas City will have access to this new technology known as "television" on the coasts. The kids are calling it "the TV" for short, and it's all the rage here. This miraculous new technology allows people to view distant events live and in full color -- all from the comfort of their own homes! With this space-age device, sports fans can watch their home teams play on the road in far-away cities, and the latest television boxes -- "sets" or "screens" to those in the know -- allow viewers to see the difference between such modern colors as light gray and powder blue. For the first time, fans can see the uniforms their favorite players wear on the road, with their own eyes. After the TV comes to Kansas City, being a Royals fan will never be the same!

Seriously, from that statement one wonders how the geniuses that run the Royals think fans even know about the old powder blue uniforms in the first place. "But we only ever wore them on the road -- how did people in Kansas City see the powder blues?"

EDIT: Do I need to add that my sarcasm, derision, and ridicule is aimed at the team execs who seem to think that Royals fans are not capable of seeing or appreciating powder blue road uniforms, not at the fans or the people of KC? If I do, consider it added.

20082614447.png

The Royals revisit the idea often because they know full well there?s a coalition of Royals fans out there begging for the powder blues. They hear from them all the time. That?s why the Royals wheeled out the powder-blue T-shirts a few years back.

How many is a coalition of Royals fans? 327? Averaging 17,000/game, I think it has to do more with nostalgia, that on who actually goes through the gate.

But seriously, if they wear then at home, just play CWS, MIN or CLE, as they can wear considerdably darker tops and they are divisional opponents. Wear them at Busch for the STL series as they were worn in the 1985 Series.

Perhaps soon, people in Kansas City will have access to this new technology known as "television" on the coasts. The kids are calling it "the TV" for short, and it's all the rage here. This miraculous new technology allows people to view distant events live and in full color -- all from the comfort of their own homes! With this space-age device, sports fans can watch their home teams play on the road in far-away cities, and the latest television boxes -- "sets" or "screens" to those in the know -- allow viewers to see the difference between such modern colors as light gray and powder blue. For the first time, fans can see the uniforms their favorite players wear on the road, with their own eyes. After the TV comes to Kansas City, being a Royals fan will never be the same!

Seriously, from that statement one wonders how the geniuses that run the Royals think fans even know about the old powder blue uniforms in the first place. "But we only ever wore them on the road -- how did people in Kansas City see the powder blues?"

Wow! That contraption seems cool. Could you tell me where I could purchase one of those telythingamajigs at? I think it'd be neat to have one. :D

Y'know, KC is really the only baseball team that could get away with this, in my eyes. Otherwise, the powder-blue era was an abomination.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

The irony of this reply, the Royals Television Network spans across six, yes six, states making it the largest network in baseball. Whether people are actually tuning in...that's a different story. But yeah...

I thought this thread was going to be about how that same technology that renders horizontal striping impossible makes it impossible for uniform manufacturers to create powder blue baseball uniforms.

It guess not. Anyway, I think the Royals wouldn't look bad in powder blue again--it couldn't be worse than black.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Perhaps soon, people in Kansas City will have access to this new technology known as "television" on the coasts. The kids are calling it "the TV" for short, and it's all the rage here. This miraculous new technology allows people to view distant events live and in full color -- all from the comfort of their own homes!

A moving picture box? Please!! That's nothing but a fad.

Y'know, KC is really the only baseball team that could get away with this, in my eyes. Otherwise, the powder-blue era was an abomination.

I liked the Phillies zip-ups...

And yeah, Chargers here too.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity."

--Abraham Lincoln

I agree, except that I would include the Royals as well. I couldn't stand the powder blues back in the old days, and I remember well the joy that I felt when they were dumped by the various teams that wore them.

I find your ideas interesting, and I should like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Seriously, all KC would have to do is run the powder blues at home on a night when the opponent wears a dark jersey. Contrast enough. (Or maybe get the A's to wear their Fort Knox Gold!)

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

Archived