Pittsburgh can buy Penguins?

black_gold_capone

I can't find anything at all on the internet other than from SI's Truth and Rumors......I heard it on the news last night. Does anyone know about this and how does it happen? I know Green Bay got this kinda thing but I really have no clue how it works lol

Now that we have the one for the thumb, the other hand looks lonely........GO STEELERS

Green Bay didn't "get" this kinda thing. The Packers were set up as a public entity long before there were any sports leagues that said you couldn't do that.

As to whether or not the NHL would allow a public ownership of the team, I'd be doubtful.

It's where I sit.

I agree with you, unfortunately, the NHL doesn't like small market teams. Other league embrace the histories of their smaller cities, the NHL looks to push them to the back of the bus.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

I agree with you, unfortunately, the NHL doesn't like small market teams. Other league embrace the histories of their smaller cities, the NHL looks to push them to the back of the bus.

Even though the NHL saved markets like Buffalo, Ottawa, and Calgary.

Not to mention the salary cap. Yep, don't care about small markets. Pretty sure the last four Stanley Cup Finalists were all small markets too. (Though in this case, probably a bad thing since small markets get horrible ratings)

Winnipeg leaves town and all the sudden the league doesn't care about small markets at all. :rolleyes:

Even though the NHL saved markets like Buffalo, Ottawa, and Calgary.

Not to mention the salary cap. Yep, don't care about small markets. Pretty sure the last four Stanley Cup Finalists were all small markets too. (Though in this case, probably a bad thing since small markets get horrible ratings)

Winnipeg leaves town and all the sudden the league doesn't care about small markets at all. :rolleyes:

Let's get this straight. The salary cap was not implemented to "help small markets." The salary cap was implemented to save the league from becoming insolvent and turning into a six-team enterprise.

Furthermore, the extent to which the league "saved" Buffalo, Ottawa, and Calgary is because someone may have gotten the bright idea that, huh, maybe untested southern markets aren't the promised land for NHL hockey.

There is no question that the NHL made virtually no efforts to keep the Jets from moving, and it was and continues to be a source of embarrassment for Bettman, and it hasn't gotten much better - over the past 6 seasons, the Coyotes have been, on average, 25th in NHL attendance. In fairness, the Jets weren't any better, but the Jets were also a perennial playoff-watchers/first-round playoff victims playing in a 40-year old building.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Archived