Jersey Authentication: Manning SB 41

FiddySicks

So while at the Pro Bowl FanFest my dad decided to help m out with my Jersey addiction and Picked this up from a guy selling jerseys out of a backpack :P

ManningJersey8.jpg

Now, He claims its authentic, but the story just seems WAY to shady to me to believe its real. So after my dad tells me this, he hands me the jersey and I expect to see one of the worst hackjobs on the face of the planet, but, its suprisingly good. And, while there are a few things that make me think its probably not 100% legit, I still cant quite tell. My dad got a steal on it, and like I said, its so close that its even ahrd for me to tell if its real or not, but what do you guys think?

Here are the red flags to me.

The tags look a bit off, and the Korea thing throws me a bit.

ManningJersey16.jpg

ManningJersey17.jpg

And the number stitching looks a bit rouded to me

ManningJersey21.jpg

Now those aspects and that the side panels, while the spanex material, feel a bit thin to me.

But overall, the jersey was pretty cheap, and it looks pretty damn good if its a fake so overall im pleased with it. Hell, if not for the CCSLC crew, nobody would be able to tell if its a fake or not!!

Here are a few more pics

ManningJersey25.jpg

ManningJersey22.jpg

ManningJersey10.jpg

ManningJersey9.jpg

ManningJersey6.jpg

ManningJersey4.jpg

The "A" in MANNING is too wide. However, you shouldn't worry about the "Made In Korea" tag because the street-cut authentics are made in Korea. Also, you're right about the numbers looking too rounded. They should be sharp and clean. Other than that, it's not that bad of a fake. It doesn't look like your typical counterfeit hackjob.

Counterfeit. When the Super Bowl was in Houston in 2004, some guy walked up to me in a "Mitchell & Ness" Deion Falcons jersey (the red one, before M&N started producing them) and was selling them out of a backpack. It's a standard scam now.

He had Deion, OJ, all the usual suspects. When he went hard sell, I just told him I needed a size 48 because I don't like 'em baggy. He didn't have any so he walked off.

BucFan...without getting too personal...Do you mind if I ask how much you paid for it?

I think my dad paid like 75 or 100 bucks for it. I compared it to my authentic that I know is legit and I really cant find any differences. Totally worth the cash in my book.

I am not sure. Reebok is too lazy to get the fonts right. With the authentics, a lot of time the numbers aren't even close to being wide enough. I have an LT navy, Steve Smith light blue, and Champ Bailey orange, all authentics. I got them straight from the reebok store online. The number font on the LT authentics aren't nearly as wide as they should be. Two of them, the Steve Smith and LT, were made in Korea. The Champ was made in El Salvador. They are not all made in the same place, so the made in Korea isn't necessarily a bad thing, some are made there. The price seems a bit too low to be real, but it doesn't look bad.

I am not sure. Reebok is too lazy to get the fonts right. With the authentics, a lot of time the numbers aren't even close to being wide enough. I have an LT navy, Steve Smith light blue, and Champ Bailey orange, all authentics. I got them straight from the reebok store online. The number font on the LT authentics aren't nearly as wide as they should be. Two of them, the Steve Smith and LT, were made in Korea. The Champ was made in El Salvador. They are not all made in the same place, so the made in Korea isn't necessarily a bad thing, some are made there. The price seems a bit too low to be real, but it doesn't look bad.

Yep...my bears jersey straight from reebok is the wrong material in the sholders, the arm numbers are WAY off (smaller versions of the front instead of the thicker numbers). The name lettering is pretty accurate. Everything else I figure is great...until I see someone wearing a Anthony Thomas Nike Authentic and its a thing of beauty. Bottom stripe is an arm band instead of printed, right fabric, right arm numbers. Makes me happy I only paid 50 bucks for mine cause I know someone that works there.

And the moral of these stories is.....

If you want authentic, buy from NFL.com and make sure it has the hologram logo.

A few years ago, my wife bought me a Bucs Red Derrick Brooks #55 for Christmas from the mall. Everything on it looks right to me and I love the jersey, so I'm not complaining. But I think the bottom line is that if you are happy with it, then by all means, buy it and wear it....to your favorite football party with others who will appreciate it too. :D

A few things here. The Super Bowl XLI patch does not belong on a jersey in which the stripes go almost all they way around the sleeve. All Colts jerseys made since 2004 (and game-worn jerseys since 2002) have had the stripe stop just past the shoulder in the front where the side-panel material meets the shoulder dazzle cloth and at the shoulder line in the back. The cut also changed. This one has the old "box cut" with the shoulders being cut in a straight line in front and in the back. The back is still cut in a straight line but the front now has an arched, diagonal sleeve (similar to the Broncos). In 2005, the Colts changed the shade of blue - this appears to be the "old blue".

I have two authentic Colts jerseys, both purchased from the Colts Pro Shop in Indianapolis. Both were manufactured in El Salvador. Reebok does use factories in Korea, so it is possible that this is legit, but the Korea tag throws up a red flag.

The name and number font appears to be standard for a Reebok-customized Colts jersey. As others have mentioned, this font is different than what the team actually wears on the field. I have talked to a person at Exclusive Pro Sports (which customizes NFL jerseys to team specifications) about this, and he says that Reebok farms out customization of popular player jerseys to be mass-produced overseas, and their standards are not the same as the team's. For example, a Brian Urlacher jersey customized by Reebok uses the same number font on the front, back and sleeves. On an actual Bears gamer, there are three different fonts used (sleeve fonts are thicker and rounder, front font is skinnier than the back font & the crossbar on the number 4 is low on the front font and high on the back font). Reebok was pretty accurate with their customizing until 2002, when they became the sole supplier of the NFL. Once they got exclusivity, the customizing got shoddy.

• LMU locked this topic

Archived