Comet mark

YELDARBfield

I made this comet style baseball logo while playing around on Inkscape. It's based on a sketch a did during class one day. Just wanted to know your thoughts on it, if you had any basic design tips to help improve my skills, etc...

Cometlogo.png

C+C plz!

The ball isn't exactly round and the stiches should be actual stiches. It is really cool looking though, nice flames.

The ball isn't exactly round and the stiches should be actual stiches. It is really cool looking though, nice flames.

Well, the ball isn't perfectly round because I wanted to show motion, and the I didn't do stitches mostly because I'm lazy. :P I may get around to detailing it later.

Edit: Also, rageisbliss, :welcome: I'm honored to be the recipient of your first post!

From a pure physics standpoint, that's not how a ball would deform under the stress of superfast motion anyway. So make it a sphere and let your flames and such convey the sense of motion. Plus, when you deform the baseball, you make its visual identity as a baseball unclear. Clarity, clarity, clarity! Don't make your audience guess what that red-striped egg is supposed to be. Make it a clear, unmistakable baseball, and then show that it's in motion with the rest of your logo.

This is more of a meteor, though, in that it looks like a piece of rock burning up in an atmosphere. Comets have a smoother tail, and they don't look like they're on fire like a burning log. They look more like a jet of incandescent gas. (Sadly, there's been a glut of spectacular comets since Kohoutek in '73, so a whole generation has basically never seen a good one. Best to go look up some pictures if you don't remember Hyakutake or Hale-Bopp from '96.)

20082614447.png

From a pure physics standpoint, that's not how a ball would deform under the stress of superfast motion anyway. So make it a sphere and let your flames and such convey the sense of motion. Plus, when you deform the baseball, you make its visual identity as a baseball unclear. Clarity, clarity, clarity! Don't make your audience guess what that red-striped egg is supposed to be. Make it a clear, unmistakable baseball, and then show that it's in motion with the rest of your logo.

Well, I'm only a junior in high school. I don't have to suffer through phyiscs until next year. :P And maybe it does need more stitch detail as well...

This is more of a meteor, though, in that it looks like a piece of rock burning up in an atmosphere. Comets have a smoother tail, and they don't look like they're on fire like a burning log. They look more like a jet of incandescent gas. (Sadly, there's been a glut of spectacular comets since Kohoutek in '73, so a whole generation has basically never seen a good one. Best to go look up some pictures if you don't remember Hyakutake or Hale-Bopp from '96.)

So I either need to make the trail smoother and change it from a "burning log" to more of a "Bunsen burner," or I should start calling it a meteor. Hmm...I'll just do the first one this time.

Thanks for the tips, BallWonk. I'll get a revision up sometime soon.

Well, I'm only a junior in high school. I don't have to suffer through phyiscs until next year. :P And maybe it does need more stitch detail as well...

So I either need to make the trail smoother and change it from a "burning log" to more of a "Bunsen burner," or I should start calling it a meteor. Hmm...I'll just do the first one this time.

Thanks for the tips, BallWonk. I'll get a revision up sometime soon.

Re the physics thing, there's a reason you almost never see team logos with distorted balls. It's just bad design, really.

As far as the flames versus a more natural comet tail, remember also that you can't please everyone. It's not your job as a designer on this project to show us what a comet would look like if it had a baseball as its nucleus. It's your job to communicate the concept of comet-ness with a simple graphic. Maybe that requires burning flames like on a meteor and to heck with astronomical realism.

20082614447.png

I made this comet style baseball logo while playing around on Inkscape. It's based on a sketch a did during class one day. Just wanted to know your thoughts on it, if you had any basic design tips to help improve my skills, etc...

Cometlogo.png

C+C plz!

The ball could be melting from the heat

The updated version's flames are not as good as the first. Try combining the updated and the original.

Well, that's because they're not flames. "They look more like a jet of incandescent gas," as BallWonk would say. Again, I'm working on another version with better flames.

I would like to suggest that you don't necessarily need the detail of the individual seams, especially if the rest of the design isn't that detailed. The one problem with the blue version is that the red of the seams clashes with the rest of the color scheme. I am not sure how to reconcile that, though. Regarding the blue tail, I believe a comet tail extends straight, rather then and in an arc as you are showing it.

LT

I would like to suggest that you don't necessarily need the detail of the individual seams, especially if the rest of the design isn't that detailed. The one problem with the blue version is that the red of the seams clashes with the rest of the color scheme. I am not sure how to reconcile that, though. Regarding the blue tail, I believe a comet tail extends straight, rather then and in an arc as you are showing it.

LT

Grr... Ok, make up your minds! Do I need baseball detail or not?! :P

Also, I decided to arc the tail slightly because I didn't feel that it needed a completely straight tail. Again, complete astronomical accuarcy isn't exactly the number one priority in logo design...

Anyway, thanks for your words of wisdom. Anyone else wanna comment before I finish the "fireball?"

Grr... Ok, make up your minds! Do I need baseball detail or not?! :P

i think you need some of the detail, but maybe not all of the detail you've put in...somewhere between the 2 versions might be just right - i also wonder how it would look if the dark blue enveloped the ball a bit more and formed a thicker outline at the front and sides...might not work, but probably worth a try - also, maybe gray or dark blue seems on the ball? who knows

it's promising, and i think you're much closer than you were before...i do like the arch

i think font/wordmark choice will make or break this concept...

jldesigns404eo.png

Ok, how 'bout this?

cometlogo.png

I re-did the seams. I took inspiration from the ball used in the West Tenn Diamond Jaxx' logo. (See "Gem Dandy's" helmet in my sig.) I also adjusted the dark blue around the ball, as leggman suggested.

i think font/wordmark choice will make or break this concept...

Well, I wasn't planning on doing a wordmark, but if I did, I'd probably use Cornerstone... :P

C-squared, please!

Edit: fixed the seams.

i dont know how to fix it but the ball seems fixedwhile the flames are moving. kinda odd.

I personally would make the ball round, but blend the stitches and maybe even the white of the ball into the tail to help convey the motion.

I agree, the first set of flames, while not making as much sense, looked better.

The below to be updated once the newest banner is raised!
spacer.png

i dont know how to fix it but the ball seems fixedwhile the flames are moving. kinda odd.

I personally would make the ball round, but blend the stitches and maybe even the white of the ball into the tail to help convey the motion.

I agree, the first set of flames, while not making as much sense, looked better.

By blending the ball into the tail, do you mean similar to the Orlando Magic's mark?

ORL_815.gif

By blending the ball into the tail, do you mean similar to the Orlando Magic's mark?

Maybe blend it in by making a white streak that joins with the ball, and a smaller gray streak inside of it to match up with the seam.

You know, I rarely visit ccslsc anymore. I really should fix that.

Archived