The NHL Trade Deadline

Shane Does Art

i cant believe how many teams are willing to trade first round picks, last night shane obrien got traded for a 1st and now rivet, these guys are barley top 4 d men and they are going for 1st, the canucks should trade naslund we can proboly get 5 1st rounders for him and 3 good prospects

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah but Tkachuk is a shell of the former player he used to be and hes out of shape to boot.

He's not what he used to be for sure, but he's very effective.

As for being out of shape... that's just not true. He's in great shape.

Yes, he showed up to training camp after the lockout over weight (for his playing condition). And that's the end of that. He was in shape within a month and has been ever since.

I'm very happy with this trade. The amount of draft picks is amazing. I wish we'd have gotten an NHL ready prospect, but Metropolit seems like he'll at least be useful.

And that 1st round pick if he signs with Atlanta is amazing. It's probably 60% or more he's coming back to St. Louis. Then, you figure if he signs somewhere else it's mostly likely to be with his current team (Atlanta). So that clause in the trade covers a lot of his options.

The only way I see the Thrashers re-signing Tkachuk is if the team wins the Cup.

Didn't stop Doug Weight from taking his new ring back to STL last year. For whatever reason, these guys love coming back to the Blues. This deal makes me happy all around - the Blues get some good picks and Walt winds up with a team I really like in a town where I spend a lot of time on business.

or the defense isn't stopping the other team from scoring.

So, are you agreeing with me that Pitkanen's not doing his job stopping the other team from scoring? I'm confused.

+/- is probably the worst stat if you want to make a point of how good or bad a player is. It's one stat that really a defensemen has no control over.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

According to TSN.ca, Gary Roberts has apparently been traded to Pittsburgh, pending his agreement to waive his no-trade clause. It's unexpected as Roberts has apparently said he would only waive it if he was traded to Ottawa or Toronto.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Tkachuk to the Thrashers for a "07 1st and 3rd, a second round pick in "08 and Glen Metropolit

I don't understand this deal? Atlanta's problem all year has been defense and preventing the other team from scoring. So they acquire Keith Tkachuk? That doesn't help them. They have the offensive weapons already they just needed a veteran defensemen so they wouldn't have to out gun teams every game like they do now. You don't win in the playoffs playing like that. Not only is Tkachuk not what they need he's not even a leader or a playoff proven player. To me they are still a one round and done team if they even make the playoffs.

This is a desperate bad trade by a desperate bad general manager.

The Tkachuk trade reminds me of a Bob Clarke trade.

Want specifics? Okay, 2002:

Flyers traded:

-G Maxime Oulett

-I think it was a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round draft pick

For:

-C Adam Oates

If Atlanta doesn't make the playoffs or win a cup, I think a little pink slip might make its way into a certain person's office (wink wink).

And about Pitkanen: He's playing on a team that sucks. He was pretty good last season, but everyone has sucked this year on the Flyers. Not to mention he's still young and he's still learning. It's tough to be a defenseman, especially in a town like Philly. Giving up on him would be a big Bob Clarke mistake.

EDIT: Whoa, I posted twice in a row, and my second post got attached to this one! When did this happen?

With the aquisition of Zednik, expect the Islanders to deal Jason Blake. I know, I know. Horrible idea, but right now, it's a rumor that I've been hearing a lot of.

what the hell is ccslc?

Richard Zednik has been dealt to the New York Islanders for a 2nd Round Pick in 2007.

these are the types of deals you'd expect from the trade deadline... not this crap where like a 1st rounder goes for like you rory fitzpatrick...

So you wouldn't give up a first round pick for a potential all star? :P

Richard Zednik has been dealt to the New York Islanders for a 2nd Round Pick in 2007.

these are the types of deals you'd expect from the trade deadline... not this crap where like a 1st rounder goes for like you rory fitzpatrick...

So you wouldn't give up a first round pick for a potential all star? :P

lol only because the NHL fans love to screw over the NHL offices...

I mean Shane O'Brien and Craig Rivet aren't exactly high price all-star worthy players... EVER

spacer.png

The Chicago Blackhawks have traded a 3rd round pick and Lasse Kukkonen to the Philadelphia Flyers for Kyle Calder and the Blackhawks flipped Clader to the Detroit Red Wings for Jason Williams. Details to follow.

Also, the Canucks aquired Brent Sopel for a 2nd and 4th round picks.

The Canucks also aquired Bryan Smolinski for a conditional 2nd rounder.

what the hell is ccslc?

Tkachuk to the Thrashers for a "07 1st and 3rd, a second round pick in "08 and Glen Metropolit

I don't understand this deal? Atlanta's problem all year has been defense and preventing the other team from scoring. So they acquire Keith Tkachuk? That doesn't help them. They have the offensive weapons already they just needed a veteran defensemen so they wouldn't have to out gun teams every game like they do now. You don't win in the playoffs playing like that. Not only is Tkachuk not what they need he's not even a leader or a playoff proven player. To me they are still a one round and done team if they even make the playoffs.

He's a big butt who can make things happen on the power play. You can never have too many effective PP guys.

As for the defense, the Thrashers did acquire Zhitnik.

Also, as I said earlier, the Thrashers had been acquiring prospects and draft picks for seven seasons. The farm system is deep, so the Thrashers can deal away prospects and draft picks for this very reason.

Had the team not made any deals, Waddell's job would be in serious jeopardy.

YES! Smolinski was on the top of my wish list for players we had a shot at getting. We really needed depth down the center...

Brent Sopel has been here before, and I was quite satisfied with the way he played, he'll definitely help out the back end.

He's a big butt who can make things happen on the power play. You can never have too many effective PP guys.

As for the defense, the Thrashers did acquire Zhitnik.

Also, as I said earlier, the Thrashers had been acquiring prospects and draft picks for seven seasons. The farm system is deep, so the Thrashers can deal away prospects and draft picks for this very reason.

Had the team not made any deals, Waddell's job would be in serious jeopardy.

I meant actual defensemen, not pylons like Zhitnik. I think Waddell's job is in jeopardy anyway. Personally I've never been impressed by him. I don't think he's the worst GM (that honor goes to Glen Sather), but I don't think he is a good one.

The set of Rogers Sportsnet reminds me of Deal or No Deal. They will be playing a game called Trade or No Trade throughout the day using the actual real models from D/ND, and briefcases with high profile player names. They even have a mysterious guy sitting in a dark balcony (which would be Eklund.)

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Just heard on radio - Biron to Flyers for 2nd round pick.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

Archived