Marty Schottenheimer Out

STL FANATIC

I've been penning out the Pete Carroll-to-San Diego rumors for months now, leading all the way back to when Pete was rumored to be on his way to Arizona. Granted, I didn't think it'd be THIS year, but here's a few things to look at.

1). It seems like every day there's a new controversy popping up at USC..

2). Carroll wouldn't have to leave Southern California. The team trains in Carson, if I'm not mistaken has headquarters set up in Carson, and with the Spanos family keeping a very short leash on their San Diego setup, Carroll might not even have to leave his current home. If the Chargers DO move back to LA, which is my prediction, they already have a hell of a marketing chip to build around (Carroll comes back to LA, on the next level.)

3). We've seen he's not capable of doing a total rebuild job in the NFL. With the Chargers, he'd have the pieces already in place for him.. One of the NFL's best defenses.. The best player in the game (LT).. A very promising, young QB.. A good pass catching TE.. Hmmm..

4.) This was NOT a sudden decision, a spur of the moment thing. So, with that said, WHY didn't the Chargers try to keep either Wade Phillips OR Cam Cameron? Here's why.. Carroll's going to get full control, to build his own coaching staff.

5.) One last thing to consider.. The Raiders are :censored:ing garbage and as unappealing of a job as you could possibly find. HOWEVER, a 31 year old who wasn't considered for any of the COLLEGE vacancies (hell, he wasn't even APPROACHED) gets offered the Raider job and turns it down.. Again, leads me to wonder.. Steve Sarkasian turns the Raider job down, despite being virtually unknown outside of hardcore circles, the Chargers fire Marty.. You do the math.

I'm not saying I have inside info on this, but let's look at the picture here and it all seems pretty obvious which direction the Chargers will go.

The Cowboys can lose Playoff games without Schottenheimer.

By the way Tank how have these teams coached by Marty done after he was gone? How many have gone on to win a championship?

Well the Browns went to an AFC Championship the year after he left. The Chiefs were old when he left KC. The Redskins don't count he was just there 1 year.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

"Hi, my name is Pete Carroll, I'm looking for the inters--"

San Diego Chargers:"Oh my god! You're hired!"

"No, I'm just looki--"

San Diego Chargers: "For a team to coach to the Super Bowl, well here you go!"

"No, you don't understand, I coach USC and I'm looking for some little dinky place called "San Dye ee go" they have a college here or something."

Chargers: "Oh don't worry about that! We're the Chargers!"

"Oh? So you're named after that :censored:ty NFL team?"

Chargers: "...

So when can you start?"

MouthoftheSouth.jpg

I don't speak for democrats, democrats don't speak for me.

I've been penning out the Pete Carroll-to-San Diego rumors for months now

Well instead of choking in the playoffs, they can choke down the stretch to not make the playoffs.

As for the coordinators a team can't prevent an assistant from taking a head coaching job.

Who wants to bet the Chargers don't make the playoffs next year?

Good, maybe they can finally win a playoff game now.

They can hire someone Im sure. Maybe they will actually win a playoff game now.

They're going to have to get back there, first. Say what you want about Marty in the playoffs, at least he got his teams there consistently.

Loved his gameplan. Run Tomlinson to death. I'm sure other coaches can do the same.

I predict the Chargers will hire a good coach and win the Super Bowl

Ok, Tank which good coach? Who's out there? No good coach is going to want to work with that GM and owner. The GM couldn't work with Marty Schottenhiemer, who the players loved, and it was because of the GM not wanting to and not even making an attempt. Marty was fired because he couldn't choose his own assistants. Secondly this is the second time something like this has happened under this ownership each time with the GM winning out. It's clear the coach they bring is going to be a dummy coach who the players won't respect. No team is winning the Super Bowl with that type head coach.

So the Chargers have two problems: 1. No one is available this late in the game. 2. Any good coach that might be available won't want the job because the GM will run interference on anything they want to do.

The level of talent on this team will help them win, the only mistake the Chargers made was not firing Marty right away.

The talent level means jack if the players don't respect the coach because they know he's not running the show. And personally I'm not sold on Rivers yet.

And you didn't answer my question. Who are they going to hire (or who you would hire)?

Norv Turner

Twice a failure and apparently amount of control was why he was not hired in Dallas. I give it a No.

Bill Parcells if I can talk him into it

Bill "If they are going to have me cook the dinner, they might as well let me shop for the groceries" Parcells? I don't think he would go into a situation where he doesn't have control after the Dallas stuff. Plus his age and you would have to give Dallas draft picks. I say No.

Maybe on Marrucci, No to both Mora's (I don't know which one you meant, but Jr. has already been ruled out), and the others haven't been head coaches so there unknowns as coaches.

Archived