"City 6" Aussie Rules Football

BB61

I think of all of the sports, Australian Rules football is my favorite as far as coming up with uniform concepts. The template is simple and straight forward, and the jumper itself is a big canvas onto which the traditional and the unique can be painted.

A few months back, Discrimihater came up with a few sets of concepts for college conferences. When I saw his concepts for the Big Ten, I immediately thought that it would be neat to see sets done for the Philadelphia Big 5 schools.

So I finally got a chance to do it, and over the next week or so I'm going to finish what is now the "City 6", which are the major colleges in the Philadelphia metro area -- Temple, La Salle, Penn, St. Joseph's, Villanova, and Drexel.

The basic style for this will be that the regular jumpers will feature traditional designs, while the clash jumpers will tend to be experimental. And 'Scrim, if you're reading this, I invite you to give these schools a whirl if you feel so inclined. You can even hijack this thread if you want. :D

So let's start with Temple University:

TempleFirst.jpg

TempleClash.jpg

The Owls regular jumper is inspired by Collingwood. As most teams named the Magpies are generally defined by black and white kits (also Newcastle FC and the old Western Suburbs of the ARL), Temple is known by its colors, Cherry and White, thus the stripes. The black accents on the sleeves and the socks help modernize the look, and make it pop at little. For the clash, I used the face of the logo peering out of the darkness with the cherry accent at the top. I've always liked that idea, in fact when I went there (a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away) they gave out shirts like that on campus. It's a neat concept.

C & C on these is welcomed and appreciated. La Salle will be first up tomorrow, and I'll have the rest up sporatically.

philly.png

I think they look cool.

I would suggest that the home strip needs hooped socks to match the design.

With the clash, it is a clash. Usually the clash would be light in the main colour on the home is dark or vice versa. You can keep the black clash jumper if you add a white number patch. But I don't think it should matter.

As the designs go, I'd buy them both, the home reminds me of Queensland sorta, they're defiantely a cool design.

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

heh, John Chaney would be proud :D

the clash, the first thing that I thought of was the late 90s shorts, which if I recall had the owl face on the left leg and a wing on the right leg. BB, I figure I'll indeed give it a try...tomorrow...er, today's probably gonna be the first time this week I won't be shoveling anything, and I plan to take some advantage of it :D

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the feedback.

'Scrim -- I look forward to seeing what you come up with, especially since your artist skills outnumber mine by about... oh... infinity.

Rob -- The font I used for these is the Minnesota Wild font, actually, and it's the same one for both. It's similar to what they use for basketball and what they used to use for football. I don't own Illustrator, actually, I do all of my work in PhotoShop, which is fine because I think AI would be over my head. I'll PM you anyway, when I get the chance.

I finished another one last night. From Temple, we go up Broad Street a few miles to La Salle University, home of the Explorers.

LaSalleFirst.jpg

The home is straightforward. It bears a lot of resemblence to the West Coast Eagles jumpers from the beginning of their existance. I took off the wordmark that is attached the bottom of the logo, and left the oval uncompleted. Why? I'm not sure. I liked what was there.

LaSalleClash.jpg

Alright, this is where I admit to something I'm not proud of. I nicked the ship from a coloring image. Bad form? Perhaps, but it was what I was looking for, and the fact that it is plain white against a colored background made it stand out. Hopefully it doesn't seem too cartoonish. As bad as the execution may be, this is what I thought of immediately for a clash. And if the waves look familar, yes, they're from my Jersey Shore Crushers WAFA jumpers.

The number font was selected because it was similar to the Romanesque font of the current and previous wordmarks, but different.

Next up: Penn. ETA: Tonight or tomorrow.

philly.png

heh, it does look like a team called the Eagles, but not the one you were thinking of (unless you were thinking of WCE's old training jumpers...heh, this one dude at bigfooty's got a collection that might put some NLT guys to shame). Looks more like West Torrens. Anyways, I like the home, love the clash even though the ship reminds me of somethin outta Schoolhouse Rock :Di'm just a bill, yes I'm only a bill and I'm sittin here on Capitol Hill

I give you the first of the guest work...

Templehome.png

clash: watch this space

2016cubscreamsig.png

Templehome.png

I like that, 'Scrim. I was trying to incorporate the "T" into the design, but as you can see, it ended up on the back. It blends together, but it definately shouts "Discrimihater" goodness. :D

philly.png

Alright... here's the next set: The University of Pennsylvania Quakers.

Penn is the oldest and the most traditional school in the city, and one of the oldest in the country. Founded in 1731, even its sports teams dress in traditional yet awesome threads. I wanted to tie that tradition together by tying it with the most traditionally dressed AFL team -- Essendon. The inspiration is obvious, but I tied the sash together with their main logo and made it distinctively Penn.

PennFirst.jpg

PennClash.jpg

I was going to go with a simple blue jumper / red slash for the home jumper until I came up with the idea for the second. It's a good thing too -- I almost used a picture of the William Penn statue with his finger out (either as a behind signal or "pull my finger" -- you decide which!)

C & C welcome on this one, of course.

Next up: Villanova.

philly.png

heh, I'm gonna have to come up with something else for Penn now :D cus something similar was what I was gonna go with...eh well, I had a backup idea just in case. :D

the way this is goin, we'll wind up having similar ideas for everybody but LaSalle (which I aint done yet...had cabin fever) :D

2016cubscreamsig.png

heh, that's a nice jumper your old team has, mero.

my LaSalle's comin later, first I finally got the Temple clash done, and a great idea for the away just dawned on me, but I need the flying owl without text, so that'll take a while longer. I also got down a full Penn set yall gonna love...first, Temple clash:

Templeclash.png

heh, I got the idea for this one when I went to take a dump. basically, it's a checkerboard of sorts, with the T alternating with the owl head.

and now, my Penn set. as mentioned, BigBrain had pretty much the same idea I'd had. Decided to go with it anyway, so here ya go:

Pennhome.png

the away and clash, I took inspiration from the company Penn keeps. Yeah, it's pretty out there for them, but it definitely works IMO.

Pennaway.png

Pennclash.png

2016cubscreamsig.png

heh, like our old crazy end used to say before games, ya gotta get the ground beneath your feet, alpha ;) (ehh...don't ask me what he meant, I still don't know).

anyways, I kinda wanna wait until BB busts his Nova out before I do so. Thanks for lettin me catch up, though :D

First, Temple's finally complete with an away jumper, and even though it's a more modern design, I did have school history in mind. The reason Temple chose the owl as its mascot is due to the fact that it began mainly as a night school...heh, I may as well make up for a supremely tacky clash that looks like somebody's pajamas (heh, I'm big enough to admit something I thought up while takin a dump is likely gonna be crap). As mentioned, I REALLY needed one of the flying owl logos, either would have done.

Templeaway.png

and now, my LaSalle set (now I'm caught up, with Nova completed and only Drexel and St. Joe's left to start). I had this idea of a big L partially wrapping around, as you'll see. Thankfully, I was far away from any toilets when I did :D

LaSallehome.png

LaSalleclash.png

2016cubscreamsig.png

That's okay, 'Scrim. I've hit kind of a road block with my 'Nova one, but I'll have it up soon.

As for your newest editions:

Temple: The white checkerboard effect is unique. Don't know how it would look on an actual jumper. I'm diggin' the "Night Owl" one though, I think it's as good as my "shadows" one.

Penn: Really, really nice. The Ivy ones are a nice touch, and it breaks up the traditional "blue-blanc-rouge", if you will. It's different.

La Salle: I like the effect on the "L". Very solid.

philly.png

heh, the Temple checker one, it seemed like a good idea at the time, but then again it came to me on the crapper. suffice to say it's my least favorite of the whole lot of these. a lesson to the 2* fellow yanks checkin this thread who haven't posted on it...don't think and take a dump at the same time, lol...otherwise you'll have a concept that looks like that.

for LaSalle, I'd thought about having an away with the striping resembling the markings old time explorers would have made on a map, but then I remembered the city map hats New Era came out with over the summer. :puke: suffice to say I'm not planning on doing that one anytime soon.

and mark this Penn set down...for all the concepts I've ever done, this is the first time I ever took on an Ivy :woot: heh, I had thought about a "fauxback" using the old P and either Atlas-style halves or play off the P again. heh, I might make it later just for kicks.

heh, between the night owl and ivy jumpers, I'm having trouble deciding which to make first :D heh, it's a nice problem to have, I know that.

*TO THE REST OF THE BOARD (e.g. everybody whose names appear a grand total of 0 times in this thread) yall treat these kind of threads like they some kind of exclusive club you feel you can't enter. even if you don't have the first clue about aussie rules, you do have an idea what kinds of concepts you like, don't ya? hate somethin? love somethin? me and BB would love to know. this aint a diss, it's a plea...tell us such and such concept sucks ass, tell us you love what either of us did for so and so, tell me my template sucks (I know Alpha does, lol), somethin!

2016cubscreamsig.png

I give you the first of the guest work...

Templehome.png

clash: watch this space

I love this one Scrim. Its almost like the T isn't there, because it fits in so seamlessly.

liverpool-1.png

Archived