Bands and musicians with logos

Viper

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MARYLIN MANSON

marilyn_manson5.gif

Technically that's just the so called "flash & circle" logo for the British Union of Fascists political party of the 1930's. The logo was later adopted by the American neo-fascist organization known as National Renaissance Party in the 1970's, who were known more for their violence and Nazi mysticism than for anything else.

Given the history and legacy of this political party, I'm not so sure I'd want their logo associated with my band. But then again given Manson's favor for shock value I suppose this is par for the course.

British Union of Fascists

"The British Union of Fascists (BUF) was a political party of the 1930s in the United Kingdom. The party was formed in 1932 by ex-Conservative Party MP, and Labour government minister Sir Oswald Mosley. The party was a union, comprised of several smaller Fascist parties, such as the British Fascisti. Mosley modeled himself on another fascist leader, Benito Mussolini. He also modeled his party along the lines of fascist movements in other countries, primarily Italy.

...Towards the middle of the 1930s, the BUF's increasingly violent activities, and a growing discomfort at its perceived alignment with the German Nazi party, began to alienate some of its middle-class supporters. Membership accordingly decreased. At a rally in London, in 1934, BUF stewards became involved in a violent confrontation with militant communists, and this bad publicity caused the Daily Mail to withdraw its support from the party.

...With its lack of electoral success, the party was drawn away from mainstream politics and further toward extreme anti-Semitism during 1934-1935 (which saw the resignation of leading members such as Dr. Robert Forgan). They organised several anti-Semitic marches and protests in London (recalling the earlier tactics of predecessors such as the British Brothers League), such as the one that resulted in the famous Battle of Cable Street in October 1936.

The BUF was completely banned in May 1940, and Mosley and 740 other senior fascists were interned for much of World War II. Mosley made several unsuccessful attempts at a political comeback after the war, most notably in the Union Movement."

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived