NFL re-alignment

IceCap

Ok, I was thinking that now it would be kind of cool if the three AFC teams from the NFL during the NFL/AFL war joined the NFC, so each conference would contain the classic teams of the respective leagues from before the merger.

The Colts, Steelers, and Browns would leave the AFC and join the NFC. In return the NFC would give up the Buccaneers and Seahawks (two NFC teams with AFC histories that came into being after the merger) as well as the Panthers (a NFC team that has no historical ties to the old NFL).

The idea came to me during the lead-up to Super Bowl XLI. I was thinking that it was a shame that a game that was originally meant to feature the AFL champions and the NFL champions was being played by two classic NFL teams. If the Steelers, Colts, and Browns moved to the NFC that wouldn't happen.

So here's what the NFL would look like. What does anyone else think?

AFC

North

Baltimore Ravens

Buffalo Bills

Cincinnati Bengals

Kansas City Chiefs

South

Houston Texans

Jacksonville Jaguars

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Tennessee Titans

East

Carolina Panthers

Miami Dolphins

New England Patriots

New York Jets

West

Denver Broncos

Oakland Raiders

San Diego Chargers

Seattle Seahawks

NFC

North

Chicago Bears

Cleveland Browns

Green Bay Packers

Minnesota Vikings

South

Atlanta Falcons

Dallas Cowboys

New Orleans Saints

Washington Redskins

East

Detroit Lions

New York Giants

Philadelphia Eagles

Pittsburgh Steelers

West

Arizona Cardinals

Indianapolis Colts

St. Louis Rams

San Francisco 49ers

I don't see how Indianapolis can be in the West. Anyhow, here's MY idea of NFL re-alignment. Here, we're going back to the future, to how it was during the 50's and 60's, no AFC and NFC, it's East vs. West!

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Northeast Division

Buffalo Bills

Miami Dolphins

New England Patriots

New York Jets

Atlantic Division

Baltimore Ravens

New York Giants

Philadelphia Eagles

Washington Redskins

Southeast Division

Atlanta Falcons

Carolina Panthers

Jacksonville Jaguars

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Central Division

Cincinnati Bengals

Cleveland Browns

Indianapolis Colts

Pittsburgh Steelers

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Midwest Division

Chicago Bears

Detroit Lions

Green Bay Packers

Minnesota Vikings (or St. Louis Rams)

Southwest Division

Dallas Cowboys

Houston Texans

New Orleans Saints

Tennessee Titans

Northwest Division

Denver Broncos

Kansas City Chiefs

St. Louis Rams (or Minnesota Vikings)

Seattle Seahawks

Pacific Division

Arizona Cardinals

Oakland Raiders

San Diego Chargers

San Francisco 49ers

Note: The key element is to try to keep the old regular rivalries intact as much as possible. The reason I didn't put the Dolphins in the Southeast is because I wanted to keep the rivalries with the Bills, Pats and Jets intact. New Orleans and Tennessee have the potential to shift to the Eastern Conference, should a team from the East move to Los Angeles. Then Arizona could go to the Southwest Division.

I don't see how Indianapolis can be in the West.

Basically I couldn't figure out where to put them, so I stuck them in the west to give the Rams a divisional opponent that was somewhat in their vicinity.

The Steelers are a HUGE part of the AFC.You can't put them in the NFC. It's Just Crazy!!!

How are they "a HUGE part of the AFC"? Do the Steelers comprise of two teams? No, they don't. They're just one team. A team that was a classic NFL team to begin with. Classic NFL teams in the AFC, a conference that's suppose to embody the old AFL prior to the merger, just seems wrong. The NFC is just the opposite, it embodies the classic NFL prior to the merger. What's so crazy about the Steelers, a classic NFL team, being placed in the conference that's suppose to embody the classic NFL?

I think allignment is pretty much as perfect as it can be.... only problem is how Indy is in the south.

Proud owner of the Utah Pioneers of the Continnental Baseball League.

GBCanada.png

PACKER BACKER FOREVER!

Is there a trophy for image of the day? If so, hot dog - we have a weiner. It should be the new banner for the Sports in General forum.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think allignment is pretty much as perfect as it can be.... only problem is how Indy is in the south.

Bigger problem: Rams in the west, they have to travel half the nation for away divisional games.

The other problem is that there is nowhere to put them, them and the Cheifs are stuck here with me in the middle of the country. Plus they have a rivalry with San Fran from the LA days, and have a rivalry with the Cardinals because they used to be in STL, and have a growing rivalry with Seattle. I just say leave everything as it is.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

I don't see how Indianapolis can be in the West.

Basically I couldn't figure out where to put them, so I stuck them in the west to give the Rams a divisional opponent that was somewhat in their vicinity.

The Steelers are a HUGE part of the AFC.You can't put them in the NFC. It's Just Crazy!!!

How are they "a HUGE part of the AFC"? Do the Steelers comprise of two teams? No, they don't. They're just one team. A team that was a classic NFL team to begin with. Classic NFL teams in the AFC, a conference that's suppose to embody the old AFL prior to the merger, just seems wrong. The NFC is just the opposite, it embodies the classic NFL prior to the merger. What's so crazy about the Steelers, a classic NFL team, being placed in the conference that's suppose to embody the classic NFL?

I don't think the Steelers, Browns and Colts would want to switch conferences at this point and in 99% of the fans eyes the NFL-AFL thing is ancient history. Also the Steelers, Browns and Colts got over the move to the AFC pretty quick due to the money the NFL gave them to switch along with being placed into divisions they wanted.

This whole "keep teams together in the same division because of history" crap is lame. <_< The Browns-Steelers meant something about over 10 years ago. Scheduling can keep rivalries intact.

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

The Colts, Steelers, and Browns would leave the AFC and join the NFC. In return the NFC would give up the Buccaneers and Seahawks (two NFC teams with AFC histories that came into being after the merger)

What AFC history do the Bucs have? They were in the NFC Central with the Lions, Bears, Vikings, and Packers prior the last realignment.

201222154_0f633bbfdb_o.png

The Colts, Steelers, and Browns would leave the AFC and join the NFC. In return the NFC would give up the Buccaneers and Seahawks (two NFC teams with AFC histories that came into being after the merger)

What AFC history do the Bucs have? They were in the NFC Central with the Lions, Bears, Vikings, and Packers prior the last realignment.

They were an AFC team their inaugural year. (Seattle was in the NFC that year, which means they have been rejected once by BOTH conferences. Nobody wants them. :P )

This whole "keep teams together in the same division because of history" crap is lame. The Browns-Steelers meant about over 10 years ago. Scheduling can keep rivalries intact.

Here's the thing(s).

1) Given the emphasis the NFL places on winning the division, rivalries lose importance once you leave the division.

2) There are too few games to begin with in the NFL. The schedule metric is the best possible they have right now IMO, but that means that the only teams you are guaranteed to play every year are in your division.

3) I don't like learning to hate new teams; I like the hatred that gets built up over years of division play. (Browns fans still hate Pittsburgh, man, I don't know where you've been).

4) Its the NFL!!! They can afford to fly to different places even if they are farther away.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

AFC (Western)

Midwest

Denver Broncos

Kansas City Chiefs

Minnesota Vikings

St.Louis Rams

Southwest

Arizona Cardinals

Dallas Cowboys

Houston Texans

New Orleans Saints

Central

Chicago Bears

Detroit Lions

Green Bay Packers

Indianapolis Colts

Pacific

Oakland Raiders

San Diego Chargers

San Francisco 49ers

Seattle Seahawks

NFC (Eastern)

Mideast

New York Giants

New York Jets

Philadelphia Eagles

Pittsburgh Steelers

Southeast

Atlanta Falcons

Jacksonville Jaguars

Miami Dolphins

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Northeast

Buffalo Bills

Cleveland Browns

Cincinnati Bengals

New England Patriots

Atlantic

Baltimore Ravens

Carolina Panthers

Tennessee Titans

Washington Redskins

These are my alignment ideas. Most rivalries are still kept :winner::winner::winner: I hope yall are happy with them.

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

AFC (Western)

Midwest

Denver Broncos

Kansas City Chiefs

Minnesota Vikings

St.Louis Rams

Southwest

Arizona Cardinals

Dallas Cowboys

Houston Texans

New Orleans Saints

Central

Chicago Bears

Detroit Lions

Green Bay Packers

Indianapolis Colts

Pacific

Oakland Raiders

San Diego Chargers

San Francisco 49ers

Seattle Seahawks

NFC (Eastern)

Mideast

New York Giants

New York Jets

Philadelphia Eagles

Pittsburgh Steelers

Southeast

Atlanta Falcons

Jacksonville Jaguars

Miami Dolphins

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Northeast

Buffalo Bills

Cleveland Browns

Cincinnati Bengals

New England Patriots

Atlantic

Baltimore Ravens

Carolina Panthers

Tennessee Titans

Washington Redskins

These are my alignment ideas. Most rivalries are still kept :winner::winner::winner: I hope yall are happy with them.

Most rivalries are kept, Please.....

Buffalo-Miami

Cleveland-Pittsburgh

NYJ-New England

GB-Minnesota

NYG-Dallas

NYG-Washington

PHI-Dallas

PHI-WAS

KC-Oakland

ATL-NO

The NFL Divisions are perfect as is.

saBS.png

AFC (Western)

Midwest

Denver Broncos

Kansas City Chiefs

Minnesota Vikings

St.Louis Rams

Southwest

Arizona Cardinals

Dallas Cowboys

Houston Texans

New Orleans Saints

Central

Chicago Bears

Detroit Lions

Green Bay Packers

Indianapolis Colts

Pacific

Oakland Raiders

San Diego Chargers

San Francisco 49ers

Seattle Seahawks

NFC (Eastern)

Mideast

New York Giants

New York Jets

Philadelphia Eagles

Pittsburgh Steelers

Southeast

Atlanta Falcons

Jacksonville Jaguars

Miami Dolphins

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Northeast

Buffalo Bills

Cleveland Browns

Cincinnati Bengals

New England Patriots

Atlantic

Baltimore Ravens

Carolina Panthers

Tennessee Titans

Washington Redskins

These are my alignment ideas. Most rivalries are still kept :winner::winner: I hope yall are happy with them.

Most rivalries are kept, Please.....

Buffalo-Miami

Cleveland-Pittsburgh

NYJ-New England

GB-Minnesota

NYG-Dallas

NYG-Washington

PHI-Dallas

PHI-WAS

KC-Oakland

ATL-NO

The NFL Divisions are perfect as is.

CLE-CIN

PHI-NYG

DET-GB

DET-CHI

GB-CHI

OAK-SD

DEN-KC

TB-ATL

NE-BUF

SEA-SF

Plus old rivalries:

ARI-DAL

TEN-BAL

SD-SEA

SEA-OAK

Plus: Added in state rivalries (PHI-PIT, NYG-NYJ, WAS-BAL, MIA-JAX, SF-OAK, SD-SF, STL-KC, DAL-HOU),

makes far more rivalries then you have mentioned. ^_^

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

I don't like learning to hate new teams; I like the hatred that gets built up over years of division play.

AFC (Western)

Midwest

Denver Broncos

Kansas City Chiefs

Minnesota Vikings

St.Louis Rams

*smack* <_<

I await your explanation of the Rams' rivalry with Minnesota and Denver. (They might have one with KC based on Geograpy and the trophy that goes with it, but that's it).

I prefer hating San Fran and Seattle and laughing at/hating Arizona.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Is there a trophy for image of the day? If so, hot dog - we have a weiner. It should be the new banner for the Sports in General forum.

The closest I got...

postofday.png

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Readin this thread got me thinking about how the divisions were setup for the 1970 merger. I think the following would have been the optimal arrangement given three divisions in each confrence, and which teams were slated to be in which confrence:

AFC

East

Miami Dolphins

New York Jets

Buffalo Bills

New England Patriots

Central

Pittsburgh Steelers

Baltimore Colts

Cleveland Browns

Cincinnati Bengals

West

Kansas City Chiefs

Oakland Raiders

Denver Broncos

Houston Oilers

San Diego Chargers

NFC

East

New York Giants

Washington Redskins

Philadelphia Eagles

Atlanta Falcons

Central

Chicago Bears

Green Bay Packers

Detroit Lions

Minnesota Vikings

St. Louis Cardinals

West

Dallas Cowboys

San Fransico 49ers

New Orleans Saints

Los Angeles Rams

(for expansion in 1976 add Seattle Seahawks to the NFC West, and Tampa Bay Buccaneers to the AFC East)

Readin this thread got me thinking about how the divisions were setup for the 1970 merger. I think the following would have been the optimal arrangement given three divisions in each confrence, and which teams were slated to be in which confrence:

AFC

East

Miami Dolphins

New York Jets

Buffalo Bills

New England Patriots

Central

Pittsburgh Steelers

Baltimore Colts

Cleveland Browns

Cincinnati Bengals

West

Kansas City Chiefs

Oakland Raiders

Denver Broncos

Houston Oilers

San Diego Chargers

NFC

East

New York Giants

Washington Redskins

Philadelphia Eagles

Atlanta Falcons

Central

Chicago Bears

Green Bay Packers

Detroit Lions

Minnesota Vikings

St. Louis Cardinals

West

Dallas Cowboys

San Fransico 49ers

New Orleans Saints

Los Angeles Rams

(for expansion in 1976 add Seattle Seahawks to the NFC West, and Tampa Bay Buccaneers to the AFC East)

Would've made a lot of sense.

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

Archived