Syracuse Logos

kmw_29

I was watching the 'Cuse game on tv this Sunday and noticed the large logo at center court. It was a big blocky "S". Probably 2 years ago (I think), Syracuse changed their interlocking SU logo to a more angular version. Additionally, the basketball team had a very curvy "S" wrapped around a basketball.

Does anybody know why they switched to the angular SU lockup, and then switched away so quickly? There seem to be so many logos used.

The angular "SU" was developed by Nike to unite all of the athletic programs at Syracuse under one logo. In addition to the ones you mentioned, Syracuse also had a logo that said said 'Syracuse Athletics' under what is supposed to be the Carrier dome, and an older stylized 'S' before that. Nike did this with other schools as well (Miami and Kentucky are popping into my head as two of them). For whatever reason, the university decided to not go with the new 'SU' and moved back to the current varsity style 'S' with Syracuse over it. I believe this is now the primary mark, as all the television stations and billboards that I have seen are using this logo now.

ducks-large.jpg

Yep, the interlocking SU met a relatively quick death. As long as there is some sort of logo uniformity with Syracuse (whether it's the block s or the interlocking su), i'm fine with it.

I can think of at least 5 different syracuse logos that were being used prior to these new ones, from the carrier dome logo to the stylized S with a square in the middle to the otto logo to the nike-created S over basketball, etc etc.

• LMU locked this topic

Archived