1977-78 Montreal Canadiens

beesharps

I've seen highlights of the 1977-78 Montreal Canadiens a few times, and something has always bugged me. The classic Habs logo seems to have been stitched on willy nilly on each player's red jersey. Have a look at the team photo from that year :

p1977-78.gif

It looks like only 3 or 4 players have their crests properly placed on the white and blue stripe in the middle of the jersey (one of whom is Yvon Lambert, fourth from the left in the top row). Others (such as Doug Risebrough, fourth from the right, second row) have the crest just touching the bottom white stripe, while others still (like Doug Jarvis, third from the left, second row) have their crests sewn on so high that there is blue visibile beneath the actual logo. The poor alignment also makes the white "CH" part of the logo line up over the top white stripe across the chest, almost rendering it invisible.

Anyway, very strange to see such wild variation on the same team at the same time. Can anyone else think of similar instances when teams had such differences in their uniforms?

Homer%20Simpson%20Sabres.jpg

heh, the early 70s Dolphins immediately come to my mind, some guys had sleeve stripes and some didn't; some guys had the original dolphin (dolphin's head is in the middle of the sun), some had the later version (dolphin is completely centered over the sun).

this here's just insane though...makes hockey's most storied club look like some rec league outfit pretending to be the Habs.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I think a lot of the stuff we hold dear on this august site just wasn't as important to the selling of the games back in the day. Look at baseball highlights from the 70s, for example. Every backdrop behind a catcher looks like a frigging quonset hut. I think the same thing applies here.

Or maybe I'm full of crap and those are all practice uniforms because their gamers got ruined in the Cup celebrations.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity."

--Abraham Lincoln

I don't think they've ever been overly consistant with the alignment of the numbers on the back either. Perhaps all the jerseys from a certain year are the same, but from year to year they vary from low, perfectly centered, to high, with the bottom of the numbers along the bottom of the lower white stripe.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

One of the Redskins' early '80s Super Bowl teams were plagued by inconsistant helmet decals. Approximately half had the feathers tucked into the circle, the other half had the feathers hanging straight down. I believe the Skins were in the middle of changing the logo, and just didn't think it was important enough to do all the helmets at the same time, instead replacing the old stickers with new ones when the need arose.

If I find a pic, I'll post.

I remember that the number fonts for the Pitt Panthers in Tony Dorsett's day were different for different players.

...and in the '60's, the Detroit Tigers road uniforms had sleeve numbers on the left for some players and on the right for others. No rhyme or reason (and it wasn't just pitchers vs. position players, as this photo might suggest):

mick.jpg

"Old folks"

scorepics-ca.jpg

I remember that the number fonts for the Pitt Panthers in Tony Dorsett's day were different for different players.

...and in the '60's, the Detroit Tigers road uniforms had sleeve numbers on the left for some players and on the right for others. No rhyme or reason (and it wasn't just pitchers vs. position players, as this photo might suggest):

mick.jpg

He caught those balls with no problem.

Yes folks, I'll be here all night... enjoy.

That's a lotta f'in trophies.

Well thats the Canadiens for you. They pretty much owned the NHL for the better part of 2 decades.

Anyways, I find it kinda quirky how they can have these problems like that. But then again, part of me hates the fact that these are supposed to be professional teams at the highest level of competition, yet they can't get numbers to match and logos to match and other junk like that. So I'm 50/50 in my opinion. Part of me hates it, part of me loves it.

In the case of the Canadiens, I think it's bush. Especially when they've got such a storied tradition.

mick.jpg

Didn't they put the numbers on the player's non-throwing sleeve?

Well thats the Canadiens for you. They pretty much owned the NHL for the better part of 2 decades.

Anyways, I find it kinda quirky how they can have these problems like that. But then again, part of me hates the fact that these are supposed to be professional teams at the highest level of competition, yet they can't get numbers to match and logos to match and other junk like that. So I'm 50/50 in my opinion. Part of me hates it, part of me loves it.

In the case of the Canadiens, I think it's bush. Especially when they've got such a storied tradition.

How many again? 27 or 28?

mick.jpg

I've heard of some players who carry the team on their back, but that might be a bit much!

How many again? 27 or 28?

24 or 23 actually, I'm too lazy to check which is the correct number though.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

mick.jpg

That pictures suggests a little bit more than just sleeve numbers!

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

One of the greatest teams of all time, I can live with the fact that sometimes the crest was a little too high or low on the overall jersey.

What a great logo and a great jersey. Not one ounce of Photoshop in there anywhere, a breath of fresh air, when logos seem to use the latest Clipart and Font that came in the mail that week, mixed with some color scheme better suited for a bridemaid's dress than a sports team.

At least MLS gets it. Their new teams are moving more and more to classic lines and colors, and the days of cartoon characters with big teeth and swooshes will hopefully go away.

The Habs crest and jersey is classic one of the greatest ever in all of sports.

• LMU locked this topic

Archived