New Binghamton Senators Logo

huggermugger

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having had a number of designs on jerseys and center ice I know how exciting it is to get that accomplished and DO NOT let a couple of opinions, however over blown they may be, dampen your accomplishment.

You will NEVER please everyone when designing for sports. The logo is head and shoulders above their current design and it IS appropriate for the level of hockey. Are there things that others will find that they would have done differently? Of course... so what? YOU are the artist... YOU worked with the client and heard their feedback. Beyond that... this is NOT a Buffa-slug travesty so good for you!

Having had a number of designs on jerseys and center ice I know how exciting it is to get that accomplished and DO NOT let a couple of opinions, however over blown they may be, dampen your accomplishment.

You will NEVER please everyone when designing for sports. The logo is head and shoulders above their current design and it IS appropriate for the level of hockey. Are there things that others will find that they would have done differently? Of course... so what? YOU are the artist... YOU worked with the client and heard their feedback. Beyond that... this is NOT a Buffa-slug travesty so good for you!

Well said

I may not agree with your politics, but that logo is a definite upgrade. The only problem I see, is that the stupid jersey swoosh actually competes with your logo for attention and distracts the eye. But, it wasn't your call, so it can't be held against you. Nice work. P.S. nice rendering of the cleft chin. If you ever do get around to making that P.C. Man comic strip, can you give me a power chin like that?

Dude whatever. You're not gonna get to me.

If you like this

BIN_2141.gif

over this

senator.jpg

Then so be it

Just to clarify I didn't pick the jersey. They chose the shirt.

With a better view of it, and a side-by-side with the current logo, I do see your design as an upgrade. However, something about it just doesn't have me entirely sold on it yet. Then again, I was dead against the Admirals' design when that first came out, and now I'm digging it. And my sincerest condolences for having your logo unceremoniously slapped on one of the worst current uniforms in pro hockey, a '90s sublimation-crazy relic that had no business being in the league longer than one season as a limited-use alternate.

senator.jpg

This represents a definite upgrade over the absolutely hideous logo the Binghamton Senators are currently using. With any luck, fans of the team will recognize this and call for management to install your superior design as the primary.

It wouldn't fly as a major professional logo, but it is certainly an outstanding example of the type of "tweak" that a minor professional club can make to a parent-club's logo in order to establish a brand presence of their own.

Congratulations!

First off, congrats on them using your design. That's gotta be an incredible feeling.

I'm a little torn on your logo, although in general, I like it. It just seems kind of thin(on the jersey, that is), like there should be something else to it. What to add, I'm not sure, but it seems like the head should either be wider, or something else should be there with it, perhaps part of the body, or integrating the "B" logo they currently use. It does look like the Zephyr line of hats, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I actually like the cartoonistic(is this a word?) approach in Minor League logos. Whether or not it's better than the current isn't really a yes or a no for me. The overall illustrations and style on yours is far and away better. On the other hand, I really like how the current is set up with the wordmark and circle and such. Upon looking at yours, I don't think it needs a wordmark or anything, I think it just needs to be a bit wider, to be honest. It'd be perfect then. I do have to echo much of the statements that on the black background it looks about 20 times better than on the swoosh jersey. Anyways, that's my 2 pennies. Congrats again, I can't wait to see it on the ice.

As a B-Sens fan, and season ticket holder, I can't say that I'm impressed. Sorry. It's cool looking, but I like the original logo better.

Also, the jersey they picked is terrible. Congrats on them using you though.

Since you really are the target audience, I'm just curious about what you like about the original logo so that it may be incorporated into something new in the future.

I think that it is a very poorly drawn cartoon, it's lopsided with the Senator wordmark not being centered to the circle and the "Binghamton" heavy on one side, and the cartoons arm covers two letters almost making the wordmark illegible.

OK, let me be honest here... more I look at just the head the more it's starting to appeal to me. I think the way it looks on the jersey, and the jersey itself, are what's putting me off. Perhaps if it was on a solid white jersey and the head was a bit bigger it could look a lot better.

In regards to the current logo, I like the way the Senator looks. I also like how Binghamton is not the focus of the logo. Granted they could have put the wordmark in front of the sleeve, but overall I like it.

Personally I don't like this seasons V design they're using as well. I like the red jerseys the best.

BTW, I noticed on the Sens site it said that the logo was designed by a local artist. I take it you're in the Binghamton/Southern Tier area?

Just to answer a few questions.

Sorry that it's posted on geocities, I'm lucky I know how to post it at all.

This job actually came about by just sending it in unsolicited and they liked it. So send your ideas in, it actually can work sometimes.

This actually was the alternate logo but they liked it better than what I designed as the primary. I'll post the whole package after the game.

I know it looks cartoony, I'm a cartoonist. But I think it's laegue appropriate. It's no more cartoon-like than the Monarchs or Moose or Sound Tigers or Admirals or Crunch.

Also I've come to realize that the process isn't as glamorous as what most think. There are so many people that have to approve things and rules that the league has. And things move very slowly so you have to be patient. It really gets frustrating and curbs your creativity. It is very different doing it for real than designing concepts. Then when it is released the artist gets criticized even though half of the design is what he was forced to change.

And actually I'm from Queens and have been living in the Southern Tier for about 2 years.

Anyway thanks for all of the compliments and the critiques.

Looks like he should be an antagonist in a Disney movie....

That's hilarious - and true. I can't put my finger on it, but it's definitely got that vibe. The long face, pronounced chin, all characteristic of Jafar, Scar, Cruella De Ville, and all the other Disney villains of my youth.

Archived