Source: Marlins looking to dump teal in favor of orange

marlinfan

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i did a couple of recolors in which i darkened the teal.

A)This one i recolored the light teal with the teal off of the dolphins logo which emphasises the green a little bit

Marlins_1.png

B)This one I recolored using the teal off the Sharks logo which is a little more bluer than the previous recolorMarlins_2.png

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

I love the Marlins use of color. IMO their uniforms and primary logo are one of the best if not the best in the Senior Circuit, that also goes for all of the Bigs. I really thing the black, teal, and silver go really well for that franchise in South Florida.

(By the way, Part 3: And while you're at it, call them the Miami Marlins instead of the Florida Marlins. If there's more than one team in the state, don't use the state's name. Besides, Miami Marlins kind of has a ring to it.)

From what I hear,the Marlins will change to the Miami Marlins when the new stadium is built.

If the Marlins, do change their name to Miami Marlins, they should change the color scheme to match the Miami Marlins throwback uniforms that they wore 2 seasons ago. I believe the colors were Orange and Royal Blue. IMO is better than teal.

If they did get the Miami Marlins move, IMHO it'd be cool if they went to quasi dolphins colors. Keep the primary black, and then use orange with teal accents, or vice versa. I think it'd look pretty good.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I agree the Marlins should stick with teal, and hope that even with an emphasis on orange, it stays in the scheme somehow. As a former resident of Florida and an at least twice-weekly visitor to Marlins games while there, I'll say again that the fans there love the teal and wear the teal almost exclusively.

And the Marlins have been pushing orange since 2003, when they introduced that strange alternate logo with a bright orange sun behind the current primary (unveiled at the same time the 10th anniversary logo, which also contained orange) . Hope they do better than that.

Since someone asked, I believe the seams on the baseball in the Marlins' primary have been orange since Day 1. So it's always been a (very minor) part of the scheme.

The many teal-and-orange concepts here are nice and all, but that's not what the original correspondent reported. Teal is out, orange is in. Which is a disaster for the Fish.

Because unless there is also an unreported move to add green or royal blue or something, that means that the Marlins will be left with black and orange. Which in the abstract would be great, if the Marlins would be either the only team in the NL or the only team on the East Coast to use those colors. But they lose on both counts. Yeah, better to adopt black and orange than red and white, from a distinctive uniforms point of view, but failing to maximally suck does not equal being good.

Further, marlins -- the actual fish that live in the ocean and inspire short fiction about how heroic it is to engage in futile labor against nature -- are themselves sort of shimmery teal and silver with a sort-of-orange rufus stripe. At least the three or four species found in the Atlantic have that kind of color scheme. They're not black. Black marlins live in the Indian and Pacific Oceans, very very far from Florida. And, OK, it's not like bear cubs are blue and red or anything, but black is not a color that communicates anything that would be sensible for a Miami team to communicate -- and the same is true of the black-and-orange combo. Teal and orange, blue and orange, green and orange -- those combos would communicate more clearly Miami's civic identity or the notion of marlin-ness. I mean, if you gave 100 random strangers a box of 96 Crayola crayons and asked them to draw either Miami, a marlin fish, a sunny day, an ocean breeze, a beach, Cuban music, or whatever else you might think of that you would want people to associate with your ballclub in south Florida, not one of those hundred people would turn in a composition in orange and black.

I don't mind Florida's current black-heavy unis -- the black serves as a canvas to emphasize the teal and silver elements that communicate "Florida" and "marlins" very clearly. But drop the teal, turn up the orange, and the Marlins are just not going to look good. Well, unless they become the anti-Giants, with orange caps and mainly orange lettering with black as a secondary color. That might not be a complete disaster. But I don't hold out much hope that this move, if it happens, will do anything other than uglify and genericize the Fish.

20082614447.png

This is getting rediculous with the Marlins color scheme. They're really losing their identity. First off...how can you wear black in the summer heat of Florida!?! Second, South Florida is a tropical environment. The Marlins seem to forget where they are in favor of looking like the White Sox or Giants. I have not bought a single Marlins article of clothing since they switched color schemes after 2002 (scratch that I have an '03 Marlins World Series hat). My jerseys are still the old teal ones and that's what I wear to the games because that's what I think the Marlins should be.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

I don't like it, really. But as long as they start adding more colors than just black, anything is fine. I HATE that monocromatic look they have now, it's probably my least favorite uniform in baseball.

Now, I agree this was a bit of overkill on the teal:

1551030101.jpg

But this is just boring:

dontrell1.jpg

And in that picture you can even see the teal a little, which is nice, but on TV you can't see it at all.

366678430_f28e9d99de_o.jpg

Are there not enough orange-and-black teams in MLB?

Baltimore

San Francisco

It's not like the Marlins are going to red & navy ...

And that's enough, quite frankly. The idea that a team in humid South Florida would actually use BLACK as the primary color is immensely stupid.

Anyway, did you all not get the memo? Teal is done. No one wants that late-80s, early-90s relic of a color anymore.

Anyway, did you all not get the memo? Teal is done. No one wants that late-80s, early-90s relic of a color anymore.

It's not the fact that teal isn't the primary anymore that bothers me; nor is it the fact that black is the primary. What I hate is that black is the primary and silver is the secondary. It's boring. They look like the Raiders. If they want to keep black the primary, that's fine - but add just a little teal for some color! Maybe the same amount as the Giants use orange.

366678430_f28e9d99de_o.jpg

It's not the fact that teal isn't the primary anymore that bothers me; nor is it the fact that black is the primary. What I hate is that black is the primary and silver is the secondary. It's boring. They look like the Raiders. If they want to keep black the primary, that's fine - but add just a little teal for some color! Maybe the same amount as the Giants use orange.

I agree, I was being tongue-in-cheek with the "teal is out" reference. The Marlins have a very successful tenure in the major leagues, all marked with their teal identity. To toss that out, whether in favor of orange or black, is ridiculous.

The team is owned by Jeffrey Loria. You don't actually expect some quality decisionmaking coming from that ownership group, do you?

When the Marlins made their debut in 1993, they had the most beautiful teal batting helmets I ever did see. I even loved the teal ball caps. Black as their main color? Ew!

Marlin teal, marlin orage, blue, silver & white would be very nice. Ditch the black!!! :blink:

LEONARD WEIRICH

FAN OF THE WASHINGTON NATIONALS SINCE 2005

LOVE THOSE NATS!!!

I think it's funny when people say"Teal is out!"

So Brown Yellow and Orange are out because that is so 70's

Powder blue is out because it's so 80's

Teal and Purple are out because they're so 90's

and Black is so 2000

Looks like it's navy and red for everybody.

Colors don't have time frames. It's how you use them. The Sharks have always used teal and it still works because that is their identity. When the A's switched to green everyone thought it was ridiculous, now you can't change it. It's more about being consistent with your color rather than picking and choosing whatever color is "in". 5 years from now the Marlins will ditch black and orange because everyone will say it is so 2007.

huggermugger makes an excellent point. Were the '93 Marlins playing off of a fad when they selected their colors? Possibly, but nevertheless the teal became their identity. When used properly (like hm suggested) the color can withstand changes in fads and still be used as the basis for a strong recognizable identity even today (the Sharks example was spot on.)

The Detroit Pistons are the perfect example of a team "picking and choosing whatever color is 'in'" and failing miserably.

When used properly, you don't even "see" the colors, just the team. When I see the Sharks, I don't think "OMG teal!" I just know it's the Sharks. For nearly the entire Grant Hill era, whenever I saw the Pistons my brain didn't recognize them as the Pistons, as I was focused on the glaring misuse of teal. Maybe I'm just goofy though.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Would it have helped the Marlins if they had chosen a darker shade of teal? I don't know. When I think of changing to black with orange, I think of the Anaheim Ducks. My question with this change, is it a preview of something larger? Like leaving Miami and Florida for "greener" pastures?

Archived