Source: Marlins looking to dump teal in favor of orange

marlinfan

Would it have helped the Marlins if they had chosen a darker shade of teal? I don't know. When I think of changing to black with orange, I think of the Anaheim Ducks. My question with this change, is it a preview of something larger? Like leaving Miami and Florida for "greener" pastures?

Well going by the OP, this "change" is dependant on them staying in Florida, so I'd say not.

Or look at it from the other side. They change their color scheme, fans and collectors buy the merchandise. They fail (again) to state funding for a ballpark and relocate because their lease runs out in 2010 and do not get another extension. People may say the Jeffrey Loria is a horrible owner but he may be a very good businessman.

This is probably the best Marlins set I've seen. I don't remember whose concept it was, so please come take credit for it.

miamimarlinsuh1.png

This is perfect. The hat should have the darker teal with a black brim (my personal favorite hat). Who ever came up with this concept; major applause. (bow)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is probably the best Marlins set I've seen. I don't remember whose concept it was, so please come take credit for it.

miamimarlinsuh1.png

Other than my complete and utter aversion to pinstripes, this is a sweet set. Orange could be introduced as an accent color to this group with minimal effort, and everyone goes home happy (me, too, if the pinstripes go away)! Nice work!

The many teal-and-orange concepts here are nice and all, but that's not what the original correspondent reported. Teal is out, orange is in. ...

Original post said "teal is on the way out as a Marlins primary color, in favor of orange" so I read that as it being possible that teal (or Marlins Blue) will survive as a secondary color, which is pretty much where it's been since 2003, when the teal pinstripes and wordmarks went away.

That said, I agree that it's unlikely that teal and orange will be on equal footing, if that's what you meant.

The many teal-and-orange concepts here are nice and all, but that's not what the original correspondent reported. Teal is out, orange is in. ...

Original post said "teal is on the way out as a Marlins primary color, in favor of orange" so I read that as it being possible that teal (or Marlins Blue) will survive as a secondary color, which is pretty much where it's been since 2003, when the teal pinstripes and wordmarks went away.

That said, I agree that it's unlikely that teal and orange will be on equal footing, if that's what you meant.

My thinking was that if almost no teal at all anywhere in the uniform is what we get when teal is a "primary" color, then making it anything less than a "primary" color means no teal. I mean, orange now is a secondary team color, right? And there is no orange on the uniforms except where it appears in sleeve patches. So demoting teal from "primary" status means giving it a status more like what orange has now, yes? Ergo, "teal is on the way out" means uniforms with no teal. Which leaves us with black and orange. (Granting that there will still be some teal maybe in the shoulder patch or in the body of the fish on the ballcap logo.)

I mean, what possible middle ground can there be between the current uniforms with almost no teal at all and uniforms with just plain no teal? A single teal thread stitched around each sleeve? It's like they've got one apple, and instead of throwing away all their apples, they're just throwing away one apple. Either way they word it, they're still left with no apples. Um, teal apples.

20082614447.png

While they're at it, they should change their name to the "Marlin" to be grammatically correct.....

According to the dictionary, it is marlins when referring to more than one species of the fish.

Are the Florida Marlins one or more species of the fish? Heck if I know. But I'd hate to see a move to make sports teams grammatically correct.

The Toronto Maple Leaves?

Clarification: I was told teal is on the way out as a color on the Marlins color palette, not just as a primary color.

I should have been more clear. Sorry about that.

Thanks for the clarification, marlinfan. That would be a shame, IMO.

BallWonk, my apologies. You were correct, sir (and the logic you stated above in response makes perfect sense).

Are there not enough orange-and-black teams in MLB?

Two is a lot? :therock:

Then three's a crowd? (add Detroit Tigers to the list)

I'll be the first to say that Detroit is Navy blue and not black. Pantone you want to back me up on this? :P

I'll back you up as well. Detroit is Navy.

DetroitTigers_FRC_9999_SOL.jpg

Perhaps something like this?

FloridaMarlinsConceptUniforms.jpg

Here's a close up of the wordmarks

FloridaMarlinsConcept.png

Nicely done, but to the casual fan, there's almost nothing to distinguish these from the Orioles. A little more teal would help that a lot. Otherwise, you have almost exclusively black with orange as a secondary color, which the Orioles already do, right down to the black alt jersey and black caps.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Archived