New MLB hat: Gone is 100% wool

paynomind

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tried one on at the Mariners Team Store at Safeco today. I honestly didn't like it that much. Are the "old" (100% wool) caps going to go on sale once the new one come out in full? I'll have to stock up.

I would guess so. I'm waiting for Minor Leagues and Star Struck to really cut down the prices on the old wool hats once the new ones come in.

I shall check out modell's & lids today.

What hat is everyone getting if the new 59fifty?

My first one shall be a regular phillies hat, my current one from 2004 has seen much better days and it feels like its squeezing my head too much, I like my hat having a nice kinda tight grip but not too tight, its awesome knowing it wont shrink, I shall be able to take the hat off and If I sweated, it wont matter

I think I might pick up a Royals hat for fun. The boss recolored MLB logo on the back in royal and gold strikes my fancy.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Couple things on lids.com that I didn't even realize teams were using:

All purple Rockies? What would this be worn with? Also, check out how the black underbrim is visible from the top, creating a sandwich affect.

1_640.jpg

Padres-navy with tan letters, but black outline instead of white. This is in addition to the version with white outlines. Not sure what they'll wear it with, but it looks friggin sweet and IMO should be their only hat.

EDIT: just a thought, could this maybe be their military-theme hat? The color is more faded and has some green in it...

1_640.jpg

I thought the A's ditched these a couple years ago....

http://images.hatworld.com/product/5/20076666/1_640.jpg

And I'm almost positive the Rangers haven't worn this

http://images.hatworld.com/product/5/20076684/1_640.jpg

or this

http://images.hatworld.com/product/5/20076683/1_640.jpg

in a couple years either...

I picked up a new Yankees 5950 this morning (the old one was way past due to be restricted to shelf duty). I like it, but I'm not overly thrilled. It is definitely cooler (temperature wise) to wear, and I like the black underbrim. However, my old one was a low crown, which New Era did not make in the new style. The higher crown will take longer to get used to. And for anyone who thought that the sticker fad (where some people leave the 'size' sticker on the brim) would be gone, no such luck. There are actually 2 seperate stickers on the brim, so the gold/black will still be in play.

Picked up a Nationals road and alt today.

So someone here, Gothamite I think, but forgive me if I'm wrong, is always ripping on New Era for inconsistent quality control, especially with regard to sizing, but also in terms of logo placement and overall build quality. And I'm always like, "Is there some other company called New Era out there, because I just don't find those differences in quality from cap to cap, and I've never had a problem with a mail-order 5950 fitting." I still paw through and try on stacks of caps when I'm buying in the store, because you do see a difference between near-perfect and perfect stitching and fit.

Well, no more defending New Era from me. I tried on many, many caps today. I tried both 7-1/2, my normal size, and 7-3/8. I found some 7-1/2s that were tighter than an average 7-3/8s, and some 7-3/8s that were looser than the average 7-1/2s were. Logo stitching was very inconsistent. Lots of loose threads and stitching that didn't quite line up or run true.

It was still possible for me to find perfect hats in 7-1/2, but I don't think I will ever again feel comfortable ordering a 5950 by mail.

20082614447.png

My phillies hat is a smidge loose, also the threading at the botton of the P is kinda loose, makin the bottom kinda droop, also I notice the P and MLB logo is very slightly crooked.

And yet they are charging 31.99 for this.

It feels nice and all, and its nice knowing it wont shrink, but DAMN!

i love it when i end up looking like a jackass. i tell people that they wont make the Black hat with the red bill for the REDS because they arent wearing them any more, and what do they do? still offer the cap

the proof is in the pudding

if you go buy a new 07 MLB authentic collection cap from any Hatworld/Lids you get a free demo of MLB 07: The show. along with the demo comes a coupon that gets you 5 bucks off the full retail version at any EB Games/Gamestop/Babbages up until 7/01/07

My phillies hat is a smidge loose, also the threading at the botton of the P is kinda loose, makin the bottom kinda droop, also I notice the P and MLB logo is very slightly crooked.

And yet they are charging 31.99 for this.

It feels nice and all, and its nice knowing it wont shrink, but DAMN!

take it back, if you're not satisfied.

OhioStateBuckeyesLightBanner.png by RoscoeUA

hailtothechief.png by gingerbreadman

^ Actually, im ok, I think the fit is more due to I just got a hair cut and most fo my hats feel odd now, and I think im starting to stray away from the 59fifty look as its a tad too tall, also the P isnt too bad. the bottom does look like it has a few extra leftover, after closely looking at it.

Plus I already exchanged it once, cause the first one was too tight. And in the end I think im overexagerrating

Well, no more defending New Era from me. I tried on many, many caps today. I tried both 7-1/2, my normal size, and 7-3/8. I found some 7-1/2s that were tighter than an average 7-3/8s, and some 7-3/8s that were looser than the average 7-1/2s were. Logo stitching was very inconsistent. Lots of loose threads and stitching that didn't quite line up or run true.

It was still possible for me to find perfect hats in 7-1/2, but I don't think I will ever again feel comfortable ordering a 5950 by mail.

Yep, that was probably me ripping on New Era for lousy quality control. Sounds like you had a run of reltively good luck that has since run out. :P

Well, I just ordered 2. I got the new A's home to go with my new Piazza jersey and I got the Mets black and blue, as that is my Mets cap most in need of a replacement. Should have them next Wednesday or Thursday. I am very interested to see how I like them.

I went by Lids Friday and picked up four caps. I was stunned in that I tried on four caps and all four were true to size. I went to another Lids on Friday night and picked up four more. Aside from the black underbill and the raised embroidery on the MLB logo on the back, there is not much of a difference in the appearance or the feel of the new caps from the 100% wool version. If these live up to everything New Era is billing them as (shrink-proof, fade-proof, odor-proof, moisture-wicking) I think they have a winner.

However, my old one was a low crown, which New Era did not make in the new style. The higher crown will take longer to get used to. And for anyone who thought that the sticker fad (where some people leave the 'size' sticker on the brim) would be gone, no such luck. There are actually 2 seperate stickers on the brim, so the gold/black will still be in play.

I dislike that the crown is so high as well. I do like that there's a black sweatband on the inside, and the material just feels more durable than their previous set.

In general, about the sticker, the standard circle sticker is in place on the brim, but there's another one on top that pretty much covers the entire brim with a transparent part that shows the standard circle. I thought that they were together until the salesman took the top one off. New Era keeps their ear to the streets lol.

I was around the Lids in the mall, so I stopped and tried on a Jays cap in the new material. I usually take a 7 5/8, but had to find a 7 3/4 to find one that fit today. Don't know if that's the material or the aforementioned New Ear quality problems. However, at $40.99 Cdn, I didn't leave with the cap. The clerks were probably kinda pissed because I basically had to take all the Jays caps they had out to find one that fit.

Archived