University of Wisconsin protecting its W

Sec19Row53

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/p...5/70222022/1978

Here's the article, poorly written as it is (it doesn't identify the states of where these schools are located - not quite a good job of describing the "where" part of the story [unless they're all in Iowa?]). I know some of this is old news, but I saw it again today, so I thougth I'd throw it out there.

UW pressures schools to drop look-alike logo usage

The Associated Press

IOWA CITY, Iowa ? The University of Wisconsin is badgering high schools in 16 states to change their logos, claiming the W symbols they use resembles the university?s trademarked W.

Cindy Van Matre, director of licensing for the University of Wisconsin-Madison, sent notices and question sheets to the schools on Jan. 8, saying their use of the W is a trademark infringement.

Van Matre said she wants to help schools phase out their logos, but hasn?t set a deadline.

For schools who want to avoid litigation, it may mean altering uniforms, wall signs and floors that have a logo.

Washington Superintendent David Schmitt said his school has reordered uniforms without the logo.

Williamsburg Athletics Director Bill Neal said the university has given him a five-year window to make changes. He said he?s reworking his school?s logo.

In September the Waukee school district in suburban Des Moines was also told to find a new logo.

The university has pressured 20 schools to change their logos in the past three years because the logos looked too much like Wisconsin?s.

It's where I sit.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We had a discussion on this a while ago.

I don't have much of a problem with the University in this.

For my own part, and as an alum, I'd rather see them give the Motion W away and create a new logo, but since this is what they have they must run with it.

"If they don't protect their trademark vigorously, they can't protect it at all" seems to be the prevailing legal opinion.

It's just laziness on the part of high schools that they stick with clip-art or reused college logos for their athletic teams.

I understand that many public schools are strapped for cash, but if you asked for submissions from the local community for logo / visual identity ideas, I'm sure that a number of designers could produce something that looks great and reproduces well. You could offer season tickets, merchandise or some other nominal fee in return for the design. I know that some schools do this, but I'm surprised there aren't more. It seems to me that many of these design decisions get made kind of quickly and haphazardly, really.

It says the schools are in 16 states, obviously too many to list. I don't think it's a problem that they didn't identify which 16 states. The point is, it's not just a local thing. It's widespread use of the W logo.

I understand that many public schools are strapped for cash, but if you asked for submissions from the local community for logo / visual identity ideas, I'm sure that a number of designers could produce something that looks great and reproduces well. You could offer season tickets, merchandise or some other nominal fee in return for the design. I know that some schools do this, but I'm surprised there aren't more. It seems to me that many of these design decisions get made kind of quickly and haphazardly, really.

Heck with the local community. Do these school districts not have high school art programs? Between the interested students and whatever art teachers they have, there ought to be enough talent to produce a minimally acceptable, original school logo and mascot. And it's gotta be easier to build school spirit around a student-made identity than some generic clipart. Very often original mediocrity is better than an unoriginal but professional design.

I remember, back in the day, my high school used to have regular design contests for the athletic program -- homecoming and state tournaments and whatnot -- and there were always a lot of good submissions. At the time, I was sure that my submissions were the best, but this one kid always beat me with his cartoony designs. All through high school I hated that kid for no other reason than that we always placed 1-2 in these contests and he was always number one. A few years after college, I briefly had a marketing design job, and when I left to go back to journalism I was tasked with hiring my replacement. Lo and behold, the guy who always beat me for the homecoming button designs applied and so I hired him to replace me.

20082614447.png

Heck with the local community. Do these school districts not have high school art programs? Between the interested students and whatever art teachers they have, there ought to be enough talent to produce a minimally acceptable, original school logo and mascot. And it's gotta be easier to build school spirit around a student-made identity than some generic clipart. Very often original mediocrity is better than an unoriginal but professional design.

I remember, back in the day, my high school used to have regular design contests for the athletic program -- homecoming and state tournaments and whatnot -- and there were always a lot of good submissions. At the time, I was sure that my submissions were the best, but this one kid always beat me with his cartoony designs. All through high school I hated that kid for no other reason than that we always placed 1-2 in these contests and he was always number one. A few years after college, I briefly had a marketing design job, and when I left to go back to journalism I was tasked with hiring my replacement. Lo and behold, the guy who always beat me for the homecoming button designs applied and so I hired him to replace me.

This is why BallWonk is one of the all-time greats, and I'm not. What a story. And yeah, with all the art students and dorks like us around, there's no excuse for not coming up with original identities.

It's just laziness on the part of high schools that they stick with clip-art or reused college logos for their athletic teams.

you're right...a new high school opened in my town last year and i submitted what i thought was a solid, unique identity...and offered it in exchange for a sweatshirt, t-shirt and a hat

they now use 2 different clip-art logos and apply about 3 shades of their colors to the logos...each of their athletic teams looks different from the other...it's a mess that i wouldn't be happy with as an athletic director, but let's face it...principals and ad's aren't typically concerned with those things

jldesigns404eo.png

This is why BallWonk is one of the all-time greats, and I'm not. What a story. And yeah, with all the art students and dorks like us around, there's no excuse for not coming up with original identities.

i agree with what both of u said, i mean the kids would be like free work, y are the schools all over this i dont know, then u save $$$ for other things, and in the same time u show off what someone at YOUR school can do.

i agree with what both of u said, i mean the kids would be like free work, y are the schools all over this i dont know, then u save $$$ for other things, and in the same time u show off what someone at YOUR school can do.

No thanks.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived