Celtics Memorial Patch

Wally1912

The Celtics seem to have added a simple black stripe on the front of the left shoulder in memory of former player Dennis Johnson, number 3, who died earlier this week. The Celtics still have the shamrock on the right shoulder in memory of Red Auerbach.

capt.las10102240427.celtics_lakers_basketball_las101.jpg

LAS10602240553.jpg

The stripe is probably all they had time for on such short notice. They will probably do something better when they get back home.

Maybe they should just wear their Green & Black alternate road uniforms for the rest of the year. At least there the black shamrock for Red and the black stripe for DJ will look more like it's part of the uniform.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

I wouldn't worry too much about it clashing with the uniforms, the black band is the traditional memorial patch teams have used for years.

Kind of ironic, in the picture of DJ they showed in the C's/Lakers game, he was wearing a similar band. I don't remember who that was for in the late 80's. He retired well before Reggie Lewis died.

The only memorial patch I remember in the old days was the Jazz wearing a "7 Pistol" inside a circle in '87 or '88.

The stripe is probably all they had time for on such short notice. They will probably do something better when they get back home.

I'm not so sure. The Celtics have traditionally used the black stripe as their memorial patch. I like it - it fits with the traditional uniforms and the franchise's history.

Here is the most horribly ironic quote regarding DJ. Before his death, the Celtics sent Allan Ray to the d-league to play with DJ as his coach, and he said this:

"And hopefully when he comes back he has Dennis' body. Well, not his current body, the body that he used to play with and win championships with." ... Boston Celtics coach Doc Rivers on guard Allan Ray being assigned to the Austin Toros and coach Dennis Johnson, a former Celtics great.

RIP DJ, one of my all time favorites - you beloing in the hall of fame

I found the picture in question from getty images and it says jan 1 1989; but those dates look pretty unreliable - I still feel like it was well after Len Bias's death.

Looking at some basketball cards on ebay, it looks like those bands are from the '89-90 season. I have no idea who died that year.

• LMU locked this topic

Archived