Canucks New Look August 1st. Blue, Green, and White Colours.

Corvus

Greg Douglas' column in today's Vancouver Sun had this bit of info about what the Canucks are doing for their new look, as well as a little speculation (not based on much) about Johnny Canuck as a potential logo.

Vancouver Sun.

Canucks' new look top secret

Greg Douglas, Vancouver Sun

Published: Saturday, February 24, 2007

SCENE & HEARD: When Coleman E. (Coley) Hall died of natural causes in August 2002 at the age of 95, the Vancouver Canucks original Johnny Canuck logo seemingly died with him. Hall was the founder and sole owner of the Pacific Coast Hockey League Canucks in the l940s when they played at the old PNE Forum. Johnny Canuck was a political cartoon character where he was portrayed in comic books as a younger cousin of the United States' Uncle Sam and Britain's John Bull.

You can catch a glimpse of Johnny Canuck painted on the side of Roberto Luongo's mask on nights when the local team wears its vintage blue, green and white uniforms. And the question begs: "Is the artwork on Luongo's mask a hint of things to come?"

The modern day Canucks' marketing machine has instructed its large army of merchandising retailers to stand by for an announcement on Aug. 1.

"Right now we're ordering next year's inventory blindly," says the owner of a sporting goods outlet in North Vancouver. "All we've been told is that the colours of the uniforms will be blue, green and white, but we don't know what the crest is going to look like. The current killer whale [or orca] jersey, as we understand it, will be kept in reserve and occasionally be used as a 'classic' uniform."

In this era of a high-profile law firm (Fasken Martineau DuMoulin) being appointed "official legal counsel" to the Canucks and GM Place, leaks from within the Orca Bay pond are all but impossible to uncover. Extreme paranoia has set in among the front-office disciples. The standard on-the-record response goes something like: "I'll lose my job if anything is traced back to me. You'll just have to wait until the 1st of August."

And Here's a quick GIS return for Johnny Canuck, for those that aren't familiar with him:

hjohnny.gif

Personally, it sounds to me like they're just going with the current vintage jerseys, adapted to the new RBK uniforms.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eh. Usually I'm all for teams going back to classic looks. But I'm just not feeling it here. First of all, the blue/green/white look always shouts "Whalers" to me. And second, while I think the C-rink logo is a killer secondary, there's just not enough going on with it to be a primary in my opinion.

I actually don't mind what they're wearing now, especially the whites.

366678430_f28e9d99de_o.jpg

I'm hope I'm not alone when I say:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMO, the current Orca identity is the best they've ever had.

If they are indeed changing the logo, I hope it's NOT to full time use of that stupid Stick-on-Rink logo that looks like it literally took all of 4 econds to create. An interpretation of Johnny Canuck, that is NOT that Lumberjack logo seen in this thread, could work.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Can I get an AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, it's so good to finally have a Canucks owner who is a fan. Few people over the age of 30 who live in Vancouver like the orca logo, so good riddance to it. Again, to reiterate, it doesn't matter if a bunch of fashionistas outside of Vancouver prefer the Orca. Canucks fans don't identify with it and that's what matters when trying to market a brand.

Long live anything but the Orca!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DEATH TO REEBOK

Archived