World Series Nicknames

spyboy1

Many times the Yankees have played World Series against the Brooklyn Dodgers & New York Giants. They also played the Mets in 2000 and those were all nicknamed "The Subway Series".

I've heard the Series in 1985 with Kansas City vs. St. Louis (on opposite sides of Missouri) called the "Show-Me Series" and the "I-70 showdown Series" since I-70 runs across the state between the two.

In 1989 Oakland played San Francisco in the "Bay Bridge Series" or the "The Battle of the Bay".

I've even heard the 1944 World Series between the St. Louis Browns and St. Louis Cardinals called the "Streetcar Series", or the "St. Louis Showdown."

The one that has me stumped is the 1906 World Series with the Chicago Cubs vs. the Chicago White Sox. Has anyone ever heard a nickname for this Series?

Have I missed any where two neighboring teams have met, espeically one with a catchy name like "Subway Series"?

JeffB

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember someone calling the 1979 World Series (Orioles vs. Pirates) the Allegheny Airlines Series, but that name never exactly stuck (since most of the rest of the country wouldn't have known what Allegheny Airlines was, though it eventually became USAirways).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

1991 Twins/Braves was known as the Worst-To-First Series as both teams had finished dead last in their leagues during the previous season.

I don't know whether everyone around the Country did this, but some in Minnesota called the 1987 Series (Twins vs. Cards) the "Riverboat Series" as both towns are on the Mississippi.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I think the Phils/Orioles in 1983 was called the I-95 series.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

2006 was the Instantly Forgettable World Series.

Speak for yourself, amigo.

The 1985 series was referred to as the I-70 series since that's the interstate which passes through St. Louis and Kansas City.

The 1975 Series can be called the All-Red Series (Reds v. Red Sox)

Also, the 1986 series can be called the I-95 series as well.

But was it called that? We can all come for clever names that might have been or could be in the future, but that ignores the original question.

I think the 92' Series between the Braves and Jays was called the F*** Canada Series.

Damn no wonder they flew the flag upside down in game two.

Thankfully, Ed Sprague in the late innings Ed Sprague avenged this quickly.

I always thought the 92 series was dubbed the: "Laugh at Jane Fonda" series. She was featured in the Toronto papers that year wearing a skimpy Toronto Blue Jays shirt, and not much else. On second thought, maybe that was suppose to be the: "Shriek in horror at Jane Fonda" series.

So many memories of that series, including Don Cherry wearing a conehead, and one of the worst celebration speeches ever by Todd Stoddlemyre.

In 1989 Oakland played San Francisco in the "Bay Bridge Series" or the "The Battle of the Bay".

Actually that World Series was called as the B.A.R.T. Series.

That is for Angelo "Bart" Bartlett Giamatti, former MLB commish passed away few weeks before the World Series and also it was named from the Bay Area Rapid Transit.

I've even heard the 1944 World Series between the St. Louis Browns and St. Louis Cardinals called the "Streetcar Series", or the "St. Louis Showdown."

Also known as the "All Mound Series". But I never know why was named with that way.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Archived