Death By Popcorn: The Tragedy of the Winnipeg Jets

gojetsgo

I guess the legal battles have been resolved, and it's finally out:

Death By Popcorn: The Tragedy of the Winnipeg Jets

It is a hilarious documentary about the loss of the Jets. Since I was so attached to the team I found myself getting misty-eyed throughout the film - while simultaneously laughing.

I love how they vilify Gretzky - hilarious! The spin at the end, showing Gretzky inheriting all of the Jets' troubles was beautiful.

Hey fellow Jet fans, let me know what you think.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why should he have to "give it uppppp"? He lost his team.

Hey, this is pretty funny. "Gretzky's socks." This is like a dadaist look at the Winnipeg Jets. Oh, what a find. Everyone, watch this.

Give it uppppppppp

I was going to add a disclaimer at the end of my post that only people interested in this need reply - giving CCSLCers the benefit of the doubt. But I overestimated brain-dead morons like you. I made no mention about how the Jets are coming back, or that certain Southern-belt teams should be relocated due to an utter lack of interest. I'm not trying to start a debate. I just thought I'd share this jewel of a video. If you don't want to watch it, don't. I'm sick of idiots like you hijacking threads.

So, let me reiterate: Please only comment if you have something to say about the video, or the topic at hand.

And yes, "Gretzky Socks" - that was freakin funny. I also loved seeing the loops of Susan Thompson (former mayor of Winnipeg) repeatedly cry-snorting. I started to get all sad then, and then they started to loop it and I burst out laughing again.

I think a lot of hockey fans lament the loss of the Jets, I know I do.

What I found interesting is, how many fans I know that grieve for the loss of the Jets, but its hard to find the same level of sympathy for the Nordiques.

I have to tell you I miss the Nordiques, a lot. They were just such a great rival. I see their replacement now, with their purple uniforms, Pepsi logos and cartoon feet on their shoulders and I am just stunned into depression.

The only merciful thing about losing the Nordiques, was we never got to see that last uniform design. They were cast away, preserving that great blue uniform and the cool old logo, forever.

By the way, my friends and I run a crude dice simulator game for hockey and the AVCO Cup Champion Winnipeg Jets, do extremely well against some pretty solid NHL competition. Anders Hedberg, for the win.

Don't worry. I miss all of the Lost Northern Four equally.

What was with the furniture salesman in the cowboy hat? I thought only in my wonderful fantasy world did all shifty salesmen don cowboy hats. Oh, lovely.

I think a lot of hockey fans lament the loss of the Jets, I know I do.

What I found interesting is, how many fans I know that grieve for the loss of the Jets, but its hard to find the same level of sympathy for the Nordiques.

I have to tell you I miss the Nordiques, a lot. They were just such a great rival. I see their replacement now, with their purple uniforms, Pepsi logos and cartoon feet on their shoulders and I am just stunned into depression.

The only merciful thing about losing the Nordiques, was we never got to see that last uniform design. They were cast away, preserving that great blue uniform and the cool old logo, forever.

By the way, my friends and I run a crude dice simulator game for hockey and the AVCO Cup Champion Winnipeg Jets, do extremely well against some pretty solid NHL competition. Anders Hedberg, for the win.

Yes, I've also noticed that the Nords don't get nearly as much sympathy. There's a lot of differences between the Jets and Nordiques though. Jets fans staged huge rallies (including one with 35000 at the cities historic centre) and donated their own money to try and build a new arena. The whole process for losing the Jets was long and painful, especially with the entire season in 95-96 to say goodbye.

For the Nordiques, it was a quick, clean break in comparison. The Avs got Roy the next year and won the cup, and everyone (at least outside of Quebec) seemed to forget about the Nordiques. It may also be due to the fact that Quebecers can (and have to some extent) go back to cheering for the Habs. I'm sure this is blasphemous to some die-hard Nordique Hab-haters, but it's something to think about.

Regardless, they are both tragic stories. I like this film because it at least gives it a funny twist, so that we can laugh at the situation too, not just feel bad.

P.S. There's a lot of footage in the movie that only Winnipeggers would get. The shifty furniture salesman was Nick Hill, owner of Kern-Hill Furniture Co-op, the most heavily advertised independent furniture store in Winnipeg. Sadly, Nick Hill is no longer with us, but he has passed on his shifty salesman tactics to his son, complete with cowboy hat.

The old Kern-Hill furniture commercials are SO Winnipeg it's not even funny. "Come ooooooon down to 843 Main street!"

Don't worry. I miss all of the Lost Northern Four equally.

What was with the furniture salesman in the cowboy hat? I thought only in my wonderful fantasy world did all shifty salesmen don cowboy hats. Oh, lovely.

Ahh, then you are not familiar with Mr. Cal Worthington.

edit: Not that I am calling him shifty. Just that he is/was one of the most high profile car dealers on the west coast and wore a cowboy hat.

Well with the pierogies, I understand that Manitoba has a whole lotta Ukes, am I correct? I think we have you to thank for Bronko Nagurski.

Very large Ukrainian population. Winnipeg has some excellent perogy restaurants. John Candy used to get perogies from Alicia's Restaurant in Winnipeg sent to him because he loved them so much.

Give nothing up. The NHL would be better served with a team back in Winnipeg - it would be infinitely more interesting than the boring joke of a team they have in Arizona, surrounded by freeway offramps, senile retirees, and cactii.

As a Coyote fan, I'm appauled at your statement.

Mods, delete this tread, before things get out of hand.

Give nothing up. The NHL would be better served with a team back in Winnipeg - it would be infinitely more interesting than the boring joke of a team they have in Arizona, surrounded by freeway offramps, senile retirees, and cactii.

:flagcanada:

If Phoenix doesn't deserve to have a NHL team, the world would be infinitly better off if the NHL FOLDED!

Mods, please throw this tread in the trash.

Why should he have to "give it uppppp"? He lost his team.

Hey, this is pretty funny. "Gretzky's socks." This is like a dadaist look at the Winnipeg Jets. Oh, what a find. Everyone, watch this.

I like it, very deconstructionist. Great job to the "art collective" behind the film.

If Phoenix doesn't deserve to have a NHL team, the world would be infinitly better off if the NHL FOLDED!

Why? Because someone mentioned that they didn't like your hockey team? Grow up man.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

Why? Because someone mentioned that they didn't like your hockey team? Grow up man.

If that's the way it is, you need to grow a heart.

Honestly, the world would be an infinitly better place if the NHL never existed. I'm a big fan of my Coyotes. But I'm also a big fan of their former self, the Winnipeg Jets. We've eve retired Hull and Steen's numbers, in Jet red, white and blue, at the arena. If I can't watch NHL hockey, then NOBODY should. How about that, leedsunited?

If that's the way it is, you need to grow a heart.

Honestly, the world would be an infinitly better place if the NHL never existed. I'm a big fan of my Coyotes. But I'm also a big fan of their former self, the Winnipeg Jets. We've eve retired Hull and Steen's numbers, in Jet red, white and blue, at the arena. If I can't watch NHL hockey, then NOBODY should. How about that, leedsunited?

I love your moxie.

Archived