MLB 07 The Show

I just picked up MLB 07 "The Show" the other day, and I'm a little disappointed in it. I don't know why I expected anything different, but I'm bummed to find out it's about the exact same game I bought 2 years ago. Yeah, they updated parks/unis/logos for the teams that needed it this year. And the rosters are surprisingly up to date. But otherwise it's almost a carbon copy of 2005's game. Matt Vasgersian and Dave Campbell's announcing is exactly the same, with Rex Hudler thrown in just because, I suppose. No recognizable new animations that I've noticed just yet. And I still have to dumb the settings down to absurd levels just to be able to hit a ball, I guess I never figured it out the right way from last time. Finally, in career mode having to control your player on the basepaths is completely maddening because the computer batters either take or foul off about 143 pitches per AB. It almost makes me want to get myself caught stealing just so the half inning doesn't take 4 hours.

I guess I'm gonna keep playing and see if it doesn't get easier as I learn, but right now it's really frustrating.

Anyone else played it and have thoughts on it? Or batting tips? Discuss, if you please...

which system are you playing?

My recommendation? Get a 360 and pick up MLB 2K7. I got it yesterday and haven't stopped playing since. Best baseball game since MVP 2005.

why does every XBOX owner always push that machine?

OhioStateBuckeyesLightBanner.png by RoscoeUA

hailtothechief.png by gingerbreadman

heh, as far as batting tips, I aint one to really give you any decent ones, as I hack worse than Rey Ordonez :D all I got is be patient, and wait for a good pitch.

I know one thing, I'm gonna miss my 06 career CF, dude was like Rickey Henderson on the basepaths, even when everybody in the park knew he was taking second, no catcher in the league could gun dude down :D heh, if my original saves hadn't gotten wiped out, I woulda beaten Rickey's steal record easily. I aint given the new career much of a spin yet, but I figure I will soon (and usually I create a pitcher first...Scrim loves the knuckler).

I know another thing, this the Padres taught me when I played against em, I should really limit the use of Zambrano's splitter, damn thing hangs like it's goin on a coat rack, and when it misses the mark, it MISSES. Like Rick Vaughn goin JUUUUUUST a bit outside.

and then I know a third thing, I've been trying to throw a no-hitter since ASB 2001*, and several months ago in my Cubs franchise, I almost did it...Prior on the hill, and I only needed one more out. You shoulda heard me screamin "no, no NOOO!!!" when the pinch hitter gets a single, ruining the no-no. Prior's stuff, it's about the same as last year's, so I figure if I ever do it again, it'll be him on the hill for me.

*for anyone who cares, I was the Brewers @ the Braves, and the pitcher was, of all people, da southpaw Brian Bohanon. for some reason, I'd traded for him, and I was kinda glad I did for that game, anyway. the Braves sent up guys who were either strict righty, or were switch hitters batting righty. Heh, I only realized after the game Bohanon's ratings made him strangely effective against righties. who'da thunk it?

edit: why the hell do MVPers always feel the need to push MVP? I hated that game, btw. Heh, a lot of yall MVPers seem to see things from a batter's perspective, my point of view's the mound, and the pitching was wack, especially with knuckleballs. if you can throw a knuckler for strikes somewhat consistently, welcome to the majors. if you have an exact spot in mind with the knuckler, you aren't of this world, cus even the master, Hoyt Wilhelm who could f'in throw a knuckler variant that rotated in a circle, couldn't pick a spot and throw a knuckler there.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

which system are you playing?

My recommendation? Get a 360 and pick up MLB 2K7. I got it yesterday and haven't stopped playing since. Best baseball game since MVP 2005.

why does every XBOX owner always push that machine?

Because it truly is the greatness. I don't have a 360 but a buddy of mine does and whenever we get time I go on over there and play Gears of War and Crackdown. IMO those are 2 of the most fun and creative games I've played in a while.

Because it truly is the greatness. I don't have a 360 but a buddy of mine does and whenever we get time I go on over there and play Gears of War and Crackdown. IMO those are 2 of the most fun and creative games I've played in a while.

if you ever get a chance to play a PS3, play Resistance:Fall of Man online. you can play up to 40 people at once. its awesome.

PS3 online < Xbox Live. Sure, you have to pay for a yearly subscription to play XBL online, but you truly get what you pay for...like small features like being able to see all your friends no matter what they're playing. Too bad Resistance and Virtua Fighter 5 are the only good games out now, Motorstorm comes out next week...but they're losing VF5 to the 360 in the summer and I can wait.

plus the 360 is less ($400 loaded vs. 600), unless you've got a boner for Blu-Ray.

I've played the 2k7 demo (downloaded it on my 360) and it's stellar. They've got the atmosphere right, the gameplay feels pretty good (though I still suck at swing stick batting style stuff - wasn't great at MVP NCAA last year either) and the graphics? Oh, the graphics...and for the geeks out here, the texture models are beautiful and at least as good (if not better) than NBA 2K7.

harperdc.gif

PS3 online < Xbox Live. Sure, you have to pay for a yearly subscription to play XBL online, but you truly get what you pay for...like small features like being able to see all your friends no matter what they're playing. Too bad Resistance and Virtua Fighter 5 are the only good games out now, Motorstorm comes out next week...but they're losing VF5 to the 360 in the summer and I can wait.

Sony is about to update alot of things for the online play. so we'll see what thats all about. You say you can "see" your friends no matter what they are playing, do you mean like on video or like you can see that they are logged in. because if you set someone as a friend on the PS3 you can do the same.

but i still like the fact i dont have shell out a month/yearly subscrition to play online. Plus i dont have to shell out another 30 to 50 bucks for a mic because i can just use the same Bluetooth earpiece that i use for my phone.

let us not forget the 360 has been out for over a year longer than the PS3. so of course they are gonna have a good set of games. at this time last year the 360 was in the same boat as the PS3.

and then I know a third thing, I've been trying to throw a no-hitter since ASB 2001*, and several months ago inI've been trying to throw a no-hitter since ASB 2001*, and several months ago in my Cubs franchise, I almost did it...Prior on the hill, and I only needed one more out. You shoulda heard me screamin "no, no NOOO!!!" when the pinch hitter gets a single, ruining the no-no. Prior's stuff, it's about the same as last year's, so I figure if I ever do it again, it'll be him on the hill for me my Cubs franchise, I almost did it...Prior on the hill, and I only needed one more out. You shoulda heard me screamin "no, no NOOO!!!" when the pinch hitter gets a single, ruining the no-no. Prior's stuff, it's about the same as last year's, so I figure if I ever do it again, it'll be him on the hill for me.

I threw a perfect game in 06 with Mulder and the cardinals, it came in second or third start of the year, I dont recall who it was against. But Mulder struck out 12 and I dont recall anyone coming really close to breaking it up.

Also in 07 the batting seems more difficult, I seem to be hitting a lot weak ground ball outs. Very hard to drive the ball .

I haven't stopped playing MVP 2005 for PS2 since I got it. I'm also in the process of manuelly updating all the rosters.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

I haven't stopped playing MVP 2005 for PS2 since I got it. I'm also in the process of manuelly updating all the rosters.

I treid updating the rosters on that game but I can't find were some guys are, and I don't have enough room on my memory cards to save the rosters

What I did was just make every player a free agent, and then assign them to the right teams. I just went down the list and put every player were they belonged. Right now, I'm adding the players that aren't in the game. It's coming along ok.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Anybody got it for the PSP? Or MLB 2006 for PSP for that matter??? I'm trying to pick up a good baseball game since I've pretty much sold my PS2 to pool money for a PS3 and I have NO baseball games for the GC, so I need to play some sort of baseball game besides Ken Griffey Jr's Slugfest.

I picked up the PSP version, but I haven't pleyed it yet. I thought 06 was phenomenal, and except for a couple tiny glitches, it was the best baseball game I've ever played.

Glitches: no umpires

no good views of field during replay, no "exploring" the stadium

you could get CPU runner to advance by throwing to the base behind them, setting them up for an easy pickoff

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Anybody got it for the PSP? Or MLB 2006 for PSP for that matter??? I'm trying to pick up a good baseball game since I've pretty much sold my PS2 to pool money for a PS3 and I have NO baseball games for the GC, so I need to play some sort of baseball game besides Ken Griffey Jr's Slugfest.

I've got 2K6 for PSP, and it's good... I am planning on getting 2K7, but someone could definatly convince me that The Show 07 is more worthwhile. Anyone have experience with PSP The Show?

Moose

I treid updating the rosters on that game but I can't find were some guys are, and I don't have enough room on my memory cards to save the rosters

heh, you familiar with them 64 mb memory cards? they expensive, but worth it. get one of those.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Sony is about to update alot of things for the online play. so we'll see what thats all about. You say you can "see" your friends no matter what they are playing, do you mean like on video or like you can see that they are logged in. because if you set someone as a friend on the PS3 you can do the same.

but i still like the fact i dont have shell out a month/yearly subscrition to play online. Plus i dont have to shell out another 30 to 50 bucks for a mic because i can just use the same Bluetooth earpiece that i use for my phone.

let us not forget the 360 has been out for over a year longer than the PS3. so of course they are gonna have a good set of games. at this time last year the 360 was in the same boat as the PS3.

your buddy list and profile for Xbox Live carries over every game (and even between both the Xbox and the 360) - online play for the PS3 is on a game-by-game basis for servers - so your buddy list for, say, MLB 2K7 doesn't carry over to resistance. As one developer was quoted recently in EGM as saying, with Microsoft you plug into their framework, but with the PS3 you're on your own. this means a stunted online experience. Would you rather pay for broadband, or get dial-up for free? It's that sort of situation. I know it doesn't seem like much on the surface, but if you want to play multiple games with the same people, it's a hassle to add them in each game, and even if you're playing 2K7 and your buddy is playing Resistance you still can't see that anyways.

and that's ignoring the fact that you can't download one thing and even surf menus on PS3. That's right, if you're downloading a game or movie that's a gig or so, just turn the TV off or over to something else for about an hour or so; at least with the 360 you can still have everything but online play (and some games also take over the XBL bandwidth from the word go, PGR3 notably) and do *something* other than stare at a download status.

the Wii is just as bad with the "friend's codes." Xbox Live is well worth the investment, and the intangibles add up to a worthwhile investment. Xbox Live is truly the best online playing experience, though ALL EA Sports games suck balls online - EA forced MS to let them use their own framework for Xbox Live, and it's notoriously piss poor.

-----

that said, 2K7 got a 7.5 from 1up and is pulling an 80% on Game Rankings. Not shabby. NCAA? didn't get as good a review (EGM gave it 5s and 6s IIRC) this year.

I'm going to get it once it drops in price a bit, I'm busy with Winning Eleven '07, NBA 2K7 (I need updated rosters!) and Tiger Woods...and that's on 360 alone, nevermind my re-addiction to Guitar Hero II...

harperdc.gif

Archived