Jake Plummer retires

GreenShoe

Plummer retires to avoid trade to Tampa Bay

By Jason Cole, Charles Robinson and John Murphy

March 2, 2007

The Bucs want Jake Plummer, but the feeling isn't mutual.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers made a deal to acquire the quarterback from Denver on Friday for a fourth-round draft pick in this year's draft.

But according to a league source, Plummer has decided to retire, nullifying the deal that would have sent him to Tampa Bay. Plummer apparently was not interested in joining a team which would not name him to an immediate starting spot, which the Buccaneers refused to do.

Plummer would have had to battle returning starter Chris Simms for the starting job in Tampa Bay. The deal also could have opened the door for an AFC West battle between the Broncos and Oakland Raiders for the rights to free agent signal caller Jeff Garcia, who has received initial interest from both teams.

Plummer lost his job in Denver last season to rookie Jay Cutler after playing inconsistently over the first half of the season. Plummer also fell out of favor with the Broncos during the playoffs in the 2005 season after a poor performance in the AFC championship game against Pittsburgh.

The 32-year-old Plummer finished last season with 11 touchdowns and 13 interceptions in 11 starts. Plummer played well in the previous three seasons, throwing 60 touchdowns and 34 interceptions in that span.

Plummer seemed to lose his confidence as last season progressed. After losing his starting job, Plummer was upset with how Denver coach Mike Shanahan dealt with the change. Plummer was particularly angry that he received a phone call from his position coach to inform him of the change rather than hearing directly fro

You know, that surprises me. He was rarely an upper-tier quarterback, but I think he could be an upgrade for a few teams. I didn't think he'd hang 'em up.

I know as a Bucs fan I may be biased, but I think Plummer is a moron. He could come to Tampa to possibly rejuvenate his career, yet he decides to retire and possibly never play again.

Bad move on his part, now for the Bucs to look into David Carr and possibly Jeff Garcia

I'm going to have to disagree with Tank and AstroBull here.

Jake Plummer is so much better then Chris Simms, it isn't even funny. Considering that Gruden has a soft spot for Simms, there's a good chance Plummer would have had to fight harder then he would normally have to in order to secure (not just get, but secure) a starting job that should have been his, no question.

I can't say I blame Plummer. I wouldn't want to play for a coach who 1) won't promise me a starting position that I should have without question, and 2) has a soft spot for a less talented quarterback who he's looking to replace you with at the first sign of trouble.

I think he means that viewership is higher on the East Coast. It is too, I think. As I recall, something like 60 percent of all televisions are in the eastern time zone. It makes sense to cater to those numbers.

Ok, I would assume thats true to some degree. And maybe my problem more likes with the smartass anchors on the show. Whenever they have 4 guys on a web poll, and its not Eli or Jeter winning, then its because the people in the midwest have nothing better to do then be homers and go on the internet, instead of assuming that those in the "East Coast" viewership arent buying all their hype.

Another thing that kind of got under my skin was "Rutgers". They jumped way up the charts last year in the polls, and personally, I think that was influenced by the same people that feel the network benefits from catering. We have Rutgers rolling over all kinds of teams in the rankins, while playing in the "Big Least". I see teams every year with great records, and it takes years for a program to get respect in the polls. Rutgers didnt need to put its time in, its just in the right place. And to me, thats bull.

Right now on Cold Pizza, they are talking about "Jay Feely", I bet even giants fans dont care about that, lol

I can sort of see why Plummer wants to retire. It's been little more than a calendar year since you played your way to the AFC Championship game, and now you're about to be dealt for a 4th-rounder. I'd want out too.

I know as a Bucs fan I may be biased, but I think Plummer is a moron. He could come to Tampa to possibly rejuvenate his career, yet he decides to retire and possibly never play again.

Bad move on his part, now for the Bucs to look into David Carr and possibly Jeff Garcia

Pfffft, hell no. Plummer is a blowhard and a vastly overrated player. I was pretty pissed this morning when I got word we traded for him, but pulled a 180 when I heard he was gonna retire. Hes pretty much the last player id ever want to see in a Bucs uniform. Trading for Plummer makes about as much sense to me as signing Ryan Leaf did a few years ago. He obviously doesnt want to play for the Bucs, and at least IMO, good. I didnt want to see that waste of space leading my team. :wacko:

well now after considering all avenues, I hope Jake Plummer has a nice life outside of football.....I still think a deal could be worked out between Tampa Bay, Houston, and Denver to get a deal worked out to ship Plummer to Houston, send David Carr to Tampa to at least give Simms some competition, and Tampa will send Denver the 4th round pick we initially planned to sent to them

How often does a guy shrink froma challenge like this and recovers to comeback as a starter somewhere else....yeah nobody came to mind for me either. Quitter is the term I find appropriate. He could have gone to Tampa maybe beat out Simms and earn the starter's job as opposed to habing it bestowed upon him.

The Titans named Volek the starter going into last season he whined about Vince Young and he is now carrying Phillips Rivers' clipboard. Kerry Collins took on the role as placeholder til VY was deemed ready to take over the offense and much to my suprise Collins took the demotion in stride and has been a patient tutor to Vince since then.

Good luck Jake maybe the CFL or go home to the Rattlers or you and Michael Irvin can host a satilite radio show and tell us all repeatedly about how you used to do it back in the day.

There aren't that many QB's who would be intimidated by Chris Simms...apparently Plummer is one of them.

I think he's more intimidated of John Gruden's soft spot for Simms then Simms himself. If TB had a coach who would actually let the best QB win, I think Plummer would have gone. Instead he saw that Gruden intended to stick him on the bench in favour of a fare inferior quarterback.

How often does a guy shrink froma challenge like this and recovers to comeback as a starter somewhere else....yeah nobody came to mind for me either. Quitter is the term I find appropriate. He could have gone to Tampa maybe beat out Simms and earn the starter's job as opposed to habing it bestowed upon him.

That's the thing though, Gruden wouldn't have given Plummer a fair chance. Even if he was named starter, Gruden would bench him for Simms at the first possible opportunity.

Pfffft, hell no. Plummer is a blowhard and a vastly overrated player. I was pretty pissed this morning when I got word we traded for him, but pulled a 180 when I heard he was gonna retire. Hes pretty much the last player id ever want to see in a Bucs uniform. Trading for Plummer makes about as much sense to me as signing Ryan Leaf did a few years ago. He obviously doesnt want to play for the Bucs, and at least IMO, good. I didnt want to see that waste of space leading my team. :wacko:

Jake Plummer is as bad as Ryan Leaf? Please. Also, you would rather have Simms over Plummer?

Simms and Plummer both blow. Im personally surprised Denver could even get a 4th for Jake.

I do think that Plummer should and wants to go to Houston to be reunited with Kubiak. He could (big could) excel there, and there's no doubt Houston is finally fed up with Carr.

There aren't that many QB's who would be intimidated by Chris Simms...apparently Plummer is one of them.

I think he's more intimidated of John Gruden's soft spot for Simms then Simms himself. If TB had a coach who would actually let the best QB win, I think Plummer would have gone. Instead he saw that Gruden intended to stick him on the bench in favour of a fare inferior quarterback.

That's the thing though, Gruden wouldn't have given Plummer a fair chance. Even if he was named starter, Gruden would bench him for Simms at the first possible opportunity.

Jake Plummer is as bad as Ryan Leaf? Please. Also, you would rather have Simms over Plummer?

Hell yes id take Simms over Plummer. For all the reasons ive stated in both this thread and the NFL Free Agent thread. And im not saying hes as bad as Leaf, im just saying picking him up makes absolutely no sense to me. Comparable to how much sense it made to even give leaf the chance a few years ago. Plummer isnt even close to being our answer. Thats blatantly obvious to even the most casual fan. The bucs front office isnt fooling anyone with this move.

Hell yes id take Simms over Plummer. For all the reasons ive stated in both this thread and the NFL Free Agent thread. And im not saying hes as bad as Leaf, im just saying picking him up makes absolutely no sense to me. Comparable to how much sense it made to even give leaf the chance a few years ago. Plummer isnt even close to being our answer. Thats blatantly obvious to even the most casual fan. The bucs front office isnt fooling anyone with this move.

For discussion's sake, here's your post in the NFL Free Agency thread:

I REALLY think you guys are vastly overrating Jake Plummer. He has got to be one of the dumbest quarterbacks in league history when it comes to decision making. And on top of that hes got about as much charictar as a dirty jock strap. The fact that he doesnt want to play in Tampa because they wont automatically name him the starter instead of him being man enough to do what everyoe else does and earn the damn thing is absurd. Ive been a Jake Plummer hater since about the middle of his stint with Arizona for multiple reasons and this just assures to me why. Hes a loose cannon who folds like a lawn chair when pressure comes, and personally we dont need anymore quarterbacks like that. I wouldnt touch that trade with a ten foot pole. Id love to see David Carr compete with Simms for the job. At least hes used to some amount of pressure and can take a hit.

I hate to play this card, but I think it is a point worth making; Jake Plummer could excel in the inferior NFC. Lets face it, the NFC is simply the weaker conference. Jake Plummer had been consistent in getting the Broncos to the post season, including an AFC Championship appearance a year ago. I also think he got a raw deal when he was benched last season, the Broncos had a respectable record. Yes, Plummer has his flaws like every other QB. That doesn't change the fact that he showed he can shine when placed on a decent team (Denver). If he was able to win the AFC West and get to the AFC title game imagine what he can do in the NFC. I think he would excel.

The Bucs have a lot of problems right now, but Plummer would have been a step in the right direction.

As for Simms, he is by far one of the worst QBs in the NFL. No question about it. Tampa Bay will never get anywhere as long as Simms is starting. Whoever they get, Carr, Garcia, whoever, deserves the number one spot upon signing. Simms is that bad. Sure he's had a good game here and there, but as the old adage goes; "A broken clock is right twice a day."

If Gruden can't figure that out, then maybe a coaching change is needed in Tampa Bay. Lets face it, they've been mediocre at best since he began rebuilding the team in his image. He won that Super Bowl with Tony Dungy's team.

Archived