BEST SPORTS FOODS

cincodemayo1

the best part of Oregon translates to being the best part of the Blazers' food selection: microbrews. Seriously, how awesome is it to get Widmer Bros. beers at a ballgame? I propose it cannot get better.

...too bad one beer costs as much as an equivalent pitcher at a bar...

the Sushi stand at Safeco is always crazy busy too.

Same could be said about Seattle. Nothing finer on a cold winter night than being in Key Arena, watching the Thunderbirds and drinking a Pyramid Snowcap from just down the road in SoDo.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Underrated: the Polish Sausage at Miller Park.

That reminds me of the one time I was at County Stadium, and I tried the Bavarian sausage. Absolutely fantastic. Even better than the brats, which is hard to imagine.

I've never been to Safeco Field, but I believe they have Cloverdale hot dogs. Cloverdale is a company in Mandan, N.D., that has the best hot dogs I've ever eaten -- yes, better than Nathan's or Hebrew National. I love going to Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks games just so I can eat Cloverdale hot dogs.

The Metrodome has absolutely horrible hot dogs. I'm pretty sure they're Hormel hot dogs. Yuck. But what do you expect from a company that makes Spam?

The nice thing about Turner Field is that they have a "Taste of the Major Leagues" vendor, in which they sell a popular/special dish and brew of the visiting team's locale.

I wish Turner Field had a better tasting BBQ. Perhaps Skip and/or Pete should hire me....

Its rediculous that neither of the 2 chicago teams are on the list for Hot Dogs.

And its not rediculous for the list maker. Its unreal that neither of these teams sells a better hot dog! If you think hot dogs, you think New York and Chicago.

I mean, at very least give us a nasty hot dog with the chicago trimmings! But wrigley has only a few of them (IE mustard, relish, onions...some stands have a salsa...I've never found one that puts sport peppers on them) and I think Comisky only has the relish, onions, mustard, katsup. Its just a shame.

I haven't gone too very many parks, but the Brats in Milwaukee are great. The Chilli in Cincinatti is amazing. And I've heard quite a few good things about the portabella fries at new busch. The Nachos at new busch have improved about 1000%, but they still suck.

To me, my favorite fair at a game is the beer(s) of the region (Old Style in Wrigley, Bud in Busch, Miller/Lienie's at Miller, etc.), a hot dog, and an order of nachos with jalepenos. That says "ballgame" to me.

Nothing beats a Primanti's at PNC.

For those who don't know its a sandwich with fries and coleslaw thrown right in.

There's something about the cheesesteaks at Heinz that are amazing. I'm not sure if it's the fact that everything's just a cheesy mess or what, but I love em. Too bad I won't be at Heinz when I go to Pitt next weekend for St. Patty's Day, but I'm sure looking forward to my taterwich(meatloaf, mashed potatoes, mushrooms, onions on a roll, not to mention the sweet potato fries that come with....mmmm mmmmm!)

A big ass hot dog, and a big ass coke.

That's the best sports food at pretty much any venue, IMO.

Then if you are ever in St. Paul, go to a Wild game and get a "Wild Dog." This thing is above average in taste and is like a Louisville Slugger in a bun.

County Stadium brats are the best ballpark food I have ever had. Miller Park is just a hair shy of that perfection.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Nothing beats a Primanti's at PNC.

For those who don't know its a sandwich with fries and coleslaw thrown right in.

There's something about the cheesesteaks at Heinz that are amazing. I'm not sure if it's the fact that everything's just a cheesy mess or what, but I love em. Too bad I won't be at Heinz when I go to Pitt next weekend for St. Patty's Day, but I'm sure looking forward to my taterwich(meatloaf, mashed potatoes, mushrooms, onions on a roll, not to mention the sweet potato fries that come with....mmmm mmmmm!)

At the Pitt-Nebraska flood game a few years back all of the Nebraska fans who looked like they enjoyed eating raved about how great the food at Heinz Field was and that it was the best they ever had at any college stadium.

County Stadium brats are the best ballpark food I have ever had. Miller Park is just a hair shy of that perfection.

Absolutely, positively, 1,000,000% correct.

Before County Stadium closed, I got to catch a Brewers day game there. Two rows behind the 3rd base dugout, with an ice-cold Miller in one hand and a red-hot brat in the other. Even better than it sounds, if that's possible.

Best of all, I found a web site where you can buy the Brewers' Secret Stadium Sauce. I had a 4-pack shipped from Milwaukee last spring, just in time for brat-grillin' season on our new deck. Well worth the price.

I'll throw in 2 for the local teams:

PHILLIES - Bull's BBQ is a pretty good meal, and you get a Greg Luzinski autograph while you're there (I pitched against his son in high school; he was a beast who made it part of the way through the Dodgers' farm system). High marks also for the Tony Luke's steaks - I'm sure the ones at Heinz Field are good, but Philadelphia's the home of the cheesesteak, and I'll go with Tony Luke's, or Pat's, any day for stadium cheesesteaks.

FLYERS/76ERS: The crab fries and buffalo tenders sandwich from Chickie's and Pete's on the lower level concourse. Ruins my diet every time, so now I budget for it about a week in advance. Fat is good.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Absolutely, positively, 1,000,000% correct.

Before County Stadium closed, I got to catch a Brewers day game there. Two rows behind the 3rd base dugout, with an ice-cold Miller in one hand and a red-hot brat in the other. Even better than it sounds, if that's possible.

Best of all, I found a web site where you can buy the Brewers' Secret Stadium Sauce. I had a 4-pack shipped from Milwaukee last spring, just in time for brat-grillin' season on our new deck. Well worth the price.

I'll throw in 2 for the local teams:

PHILLIES - Bull's BBQ is a pretty good meal, and you get a Greg Luzinski autograph while you're there (I pitched against his son in high school; he was a beast who made it part of the way through the Dodgers' farm system). High marks also for the Tony Luke's steaks - I'm sure the ones at Heinz Field are good, but Philadelphia's the home of the cheesesteak, and I'll go with Tony Luke's, or Pat's, any day for stadium cheesesteaks.

FLYERS/76ERS: The crab fries and buffalo tenders sandwich from Chickie's and Pete's on the lower level concourse. Ruins my diet every time, so now I budget for it about a week in advance. Fat is good.

Well, obviously a Philly stadium has better cheesesteaks than Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh's the king of...well, putting a full meal in between bread, from what I've gathered. While on the subject of Philly, I think every time I go to Citizens Bank Park, I get the italian sausage...good stuff. However, when I'm short on cash, I occasionally sneak over to the Phanatic Phun Zone, where they have hotdogs for $1 all the time. Granted, it's designated for kids, but that doesn't stop me. The sodas are only $1 too, although they're very small. I've actually never had Bull's BBQ, I never feel like standing in line for it. I've never been to Chickies and Pete's in the Stadium, although I've been to the actual bar about a year ago(I assume they let underagers in, since I saw a guy eating with his son...if not, I suppose I beat the system....and drank a coke). I actually rarely eat at the Wachovia Center...I usually hit up a Wawa on the way, or there's the Arby's on Route 1.

At the Clipper Magazine Stadium (Lancaster Barnstormers), they have a Qdoba inside...much to my delight, although the options are somewhat limited. You basically choose between chicken or steak, and whether you want sour creme/cheese/guac or not. However, I've sat in the luxury boxes there before, and the food up there is amazing. They had chicken caesar or ranch wraps, wings, ribs, chicken tenders, burgers, hot dogs, fresh cookies...the works...not to mention the beer fridge. I ate nearly 2 pounds of peanuts the one time...paid for it dearly the next day(as did anyone within a 10-foot radius).

How about those nachos at the Mellon Arena? If you're lucky, you wont get a peice of the ceiling to land in them!

That doesn't sound too appetizing, but I'll have to try them if I catch a game next weekend...I think I might be able to see the Habs or I think the Sens or Bruins? I forget.

My tastes from around baseball:

U.S. Cellular Field: An amazing variety. One or more different specialties at just about every stand. Go to the stand on the lower level, 1st base side, just as your about to enter the open outfield area. It's the only stand in the park that sells hot roast beef and corned beef sandwiches, and they come in a basket with chips and 2 pickle spears for about 6 bucks. My favorite, though there's lots of good stuff. And go down to the Bullpen Bar for some great wings and high-end nachos.

Wrigley Field: Haven't been there in 10 years, so I'm sure things have improved. But when I went there, the dogs weren't even all-beef, and it seemed like generic stadium food up and down the menu. But then again, with the assortment of bars all around, you're better off eating outside the park.

(Also, I had never given it a thought before pcqd mentioned it, but yeah, you can't get a Chicago Style dog in a Chicago ballpark. And that just ain't right.)

Metrodome: The hot dogs may be grey. Last time I went there, it was family night, so we sat in that section and got free Papa John's pizza and pop with our seats. That's the best thing I can say about food in the Dome: you can get some of it for free.

Comerica Park: Go to the New-Orleans-style daiquiri bar on the 3rd base side and keep drinking until Little Caesars pizza seems like a good idea.

Rogers Centre: The street meat can't be beat, and you can find it for a toonie or $2.50 at the right stands. I recommend topping off with mustard, onions, sliced green olives, and corn relish. For beer, go to the Steam Whistle brewery just south of the stadium before the game. $8 gets you a tour with three "samples" (read: full glasses,) or $13 gets you the tour, the samples, and a six-pack that's been bottled in the past 2 days. Inside the park: why is Bud Light the most prominent beer for sale, and why is it $9? Other than that, hot dogs, nachos, pizza, blah blah blah. I did find one stand selling deli sandwiches offering a "Montreal Smoked Meat" sandwich - along the lines of pastrami, and quite good.

Gary Southshore Railcats - U.S. Steel Yard: If standard ballpark food isn't what you're going for, there's a full-sized Bennigan's in right field. Eat inside, or watch the game from the patio.

Beloit Snappers - Pohlmann Field: A 3,000 seat park with 10 beers on tap. Grills going like crazy. And on select Mondays, it's all-you-can-eat night - a flat price lets you gorge until someone has to wheel you out.

West Michigan Whitecaps - Fifth Third Field: Two words - Swimming Pig. An eight ounce pork chop grilled, smothered in BBQ sauce, and topped with grilled peppers and onions on a bun. When I went there in '04, they were selling 32 oz. cups of Leinie's Red for $5. Good luck finding that deal at a bar, much less a ballpark. Nachos served in a full-size batting helmet. And - Sweet Lordy Jeebus - deep-fried cheesecake. You must go to Grand Rapids.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Same could be said about Seattle. Nothing finer on a cold winter night than being in Key Arena, watching the Thunderbirds and drinking a Pyramid Snowcap from just down the road in SoDo.

mmm, pyramid...but I'm an Oregonian, and a supporter of native oregon beers - unless we're talking Mac and Jack's, which is red deliciousness in a glass. God I could kill some of that right now.

strip clubs and microbrews - it's just what we do in PDX.

harperdc.gif

If you go to Fenway Park, get a sausage/hot dog outside of the park. Dont get a "Fenway Frank" inside the place. Hot dogs you make at your house taste better, and are 5 dollars cheaper.

You know the sausage guy on Landsdowne? hes from NYC.

I have to say, as a New Yorker you cannot find a really good hot dog in any of the arenas well, maybe the Nassau Coliseum but as for hot dogs in the NHL Les Canadiens have the best. toasted bun relish add a mound of fries and an Ice cold Molson Ex, your good to go.

yankeesfansd4.png91140975269.png

Isles1.gifirelandnw9.png

neyyorkjetsdj1.gif

sig3_605.jpg

chevroletij6.png

Archived