ManCalledAmp

ABA All Star Unis and more

Out of sheer bored curiousity, I checked out the ABA website, and happened upon some pictures from the ABA All-Star Game. I put these here for the board's scrutiny....and uproarious laughs.

As the ABA site embeds a "next" link in each of their gallery pics, I can't post the pics individually (work computers are restricted), but I'll link you up. The Gallery (3 pics from the ASG)

The main comment I have about these is...HA.

I've seen Middle School teams outfitted better.

The Rochester RazorSharks surpisingly got a championship ring for last season, but what's more surprising is that it doesn't look all that horrible.

This team doesn't look horrible...

but then we see pics like this one...Ugh.

Nice neon trim, "Venemo." And the Aeros are from Arkansas.

Poke around in there if you're bored...some are decent, but most are just sorry.

Rochester is the best-run team in the ABA. I believe the owner bought the rings himself. The 'Sharks should move to the NBDL because that league is backed by the NBA. The worst unis in the ABA belong to Quebec. Orange and Green jersies with Green shorts. Looks like something an Aussie rules football team would wear.

Out of sheer bored curiousity, I checked out the ABA website, and happened upon some pictures from the ABA All-Star Game. I put these here for the board's scrutiny....and uproarious laughs.

So... what's wrong with them?

By "uproarious laughs," I though they were going to be tie-died or something ridiculous like that. Or something as horrible as most of the league's logos. But for the ABA, they are surprisingly decent.

From everything I have seen, you're right about Rochester being the best-run team in the league. Not only do they seemingly have staying power, but they look to have a decent deal with a good arena, and that primary logo is frickin' sweet.

I hope that a few more top tier teams follow the RimRockers' example and jump ship to the D-League. I was furious at the time it happened, but I was also still under the dilusion that the ABA was a great idea and would work. Now, I'm under the dilusion that the D-League will survive, but it needs MUCH more local ownership and emphasis. This league-ownership crap is killing this rendition like it did the ancestors in the NBDL. If teams like Arkansas and Rochester can survive and maybe thrive in the ABA cesspool, maybe they can help the D-League lose its sterile image, and gain a little clout of its own.

By "uproarious laughs," I though they were going to be tie-died or something ridiculous like that. Or something as horrible as most of the league's logos. But for the ABA, they are surprisingly decent.

I think the simplicity of these makes them stand out from the normal abominations the teams are forced to wear. There's nothing bad about these uniforms. A little plain, maybe, but they're not horrible by any means.

Rochester is the best-run team in the ABA. I believe the owner bought the rings himself. The 'Sharks should move to the NBDL because that league is backed by the NBA. The worst unis in the ABA belong to Quebec. Orange and Green jersies with Green shorts. Looks like something an Aussie rules football team would wear.

Sadly for the Rochester to D-League crew, their travel costs would go through the roof if that happened. What, with the closest team being in the Dakotas. (though maybe the new Fort Wayne franchise can be a "bridge".) :wacko:

Much more likely to see Rochester set up its own league with the other stable teams in the ABA Northeast.

Well, uproarious may be a touch strong. However, I find it laughable overall how stock most of these jerseys look for a so-called pro league. Furthermore, those ASG sets are horrible excuses for "All-Star" uniforms. And looking through there, while there are some decent sets (Las Vegas), and some that are okay but just a touch off (Maryland's bird-mark looks a little off to me, and Bellingham's otherwise great sets have that goofy dunk-man below the front numbers)...there are some that look BAD (like Monterrey's eye-scorching yellow trim, or the huge-front numbers from another pic I linked to), and some that look kind of tacky (the Rockstars' white and ice blue on black, or the HS-styled Knoxville Noise sets with wild-west script that has nothing to do with Noise).

As the ABA site embeds a "next" link in each of their gallery pics, I can't post the pics individually (work computers are restricted), but I'll link you up. The Gallery (3 pics from the ASG)

The main comment I have about these is...HA.

I've seen Middle School teams outfitted better.

The Rochester RazorSharks surpisingly got a championship ring for last season, but what's more surprising is that it doesn't look all that horrible.

This team doesn't look horrible...

but then we see pics like this one...Ugh.

Nice neon trim, "Venemo." And the Aeros are from Arkansas.

Poke around in there if you're bored...some are decent, but most are just sorry.

Long story short: I find the league a joke when it's changed its look three times this season.

Furthermore, those ASG sets are horrible excuses for "All-Star" uniforms.

Care to elaborate? I honestly don't see what's wrong with them. They're much simpler and arguably better than the NBA's All-Star uniforms. I think the ABA is a joke just as much as the next guy, but I have to stick up for them here. These uniforms are not bad at all.

Wow...the Official web site for the Anderson Champions is a Myspace page...Classic...

Actually The Champions already folded this season along with the Arkansas Rivercatz(folded because teams hotel closed forcing them to merge with the Aeros), Baltimore Pearls, Big Valley Shockwave,Cenitnelas de Mexicali, Chicago Rock Stars, Knoxville Noise, Las Vegas Venom, Miami Tropics, Richmond Ballerz, Tennessee Mud Frogs, Toledo Ice/Royal Knights.

The Fresno Heat Wave moved to Sacramento midseason, Hammond Rollers moved to Saulk Valley, Houston Undertakers became the Takers, Montreal Matrix became the Royal (No s), Brooklyn Wonders became the Comets all midseaon

On top of All this no one knows who is runing the league as there is an arguement about whos in charge

There are actually some stable teams in this league that could be CBA or DLeague worthy- Vermont, Jacksonville, Quad City, Rochester, Minnesota, Buffalo, Quebec City, Maryland and possibly Monterrey

Care to elaborate? I honestly don't see what's wrong with them. They're much simpler and arguably better than the NBA's All-Star uniforms. I think the ABA is a joke just as much as the next guy, but I have to stick up for them here. These uniforms are not bad at all.

Fair enough. I feel like an All-Star uniform should be a little more celebratory than a standard set. These look to me like something a rushed intern came up with in a few minutes on MS Paint.

The font on both is stock, bland, and in no way creative. The number font is slightly more excusable, because there's only so much you can do with numbers and still have them readable (and that's one thing the set does have going for it...if you can't read them, you can't read any jersey numbers). However, it's so generic that it's way too simple. An ASG is a showcase of your league's best talent, and it should be an honor to don that uniform; however, everything about the set looks so "done at the local sports gear shop, while on a limited budget" that I find it laughable.

To get into some nit-picky technicalities, the use of color is inconsitent. On the East's white set, the only red is on the shoulders, and thus looks forced next to the blue/white everywhere else. The single star on each side on the front shoulder also looks out of place, as though it and the red were added as an afterthought. On the West's uniforms, the letters, numbers, stars, and trim are all white, but the piping is red. It not only clashes with the red of the garments, but seems out of sorts with the rest of the jersey, and the corresponding East set (since the East went white with one-color trim and piping, the West should go colored set with white trim and piping). I know it's an attempt to index the blue shoulders, but again, it just looks sloppy and unprofessional.

Finally, my last qualm with this set is the lack of names on the back. I know it IS the ABA, and all, but this is an All-Star Game. It showcases the best of the best of the league, as I said earlier. However, as this isn't the NBA, you're not going to know a big star from one press photo that drifts out. There's no MJ, no Dirk, no Steve Nash, Yao...nada. So if I'm a fan, and I see a picture online or in the paper of #9 for the East side...who is it? Was that the leading scorer, or a reserve? Is 9 his normal number when he plays for [insert team name here] so I can find out more info, or did he have to change numbers for the game? I think it's crucial for building any semblance of name recognition (especially in the ABA) that an ASG jersey have an NOB. Even with a last name, you still have a name to go with that number and on-court performance.

In summation, I can put it like this: I feel like any special occasion jersey for a "professional" sports league that I could probably duplicate down to a T with little or no effort or expense (save for the logo patches), and probably improve in the process (the color errors, for example)...fails. After all, if they were selling these, would anyone want to buy one? If they wanted one bad enough, a jersey supply catelogue and a few minutes on the phone could get you the same thing, or something very close to it.

My two cents, anyway. (But keep in mind, this is someone who defended the NBA LV ASG set pretty highly, for what it's worth.)

Fair enough. I feel like an All-Star uniform should be a little more celebratory than a standard set. These look to me like something a rushed intern came up with in a few minutes on MS Paint.

The font on both is stock, bland, and in no way creative. The number font is slightly more excusable, because there's only so much you can do with numbers and still have them readable (and that's one thing the set does have going for it...if you can't read them, you can't read any jersey numbers). However, it's so generic that it's way too simple. An ASG is a showcase of your league's best talent, and it should be an honor to don that uniform; however, everything about the set looks so "done at the local sports gear shop, while on a limited budget" that I find it laughable.

To get into some nit-picky technicalities, the use of color is inconsitent. On the East's white set, the only red is on the shoulders, and thus looks forced next to the blue/white everywhere else. The single star on each side on the front shoulder also looks out of place, as though it and the red were added as an afterthought. On the West's uniforms, the letters, numbers, stars, and trim are all white, but the piping is red. It not only clashes with the red of the garments, but seems out of sorts with the rest of the jersey, and the corresponding East set (since the East went white with one-color trim and piping, the West should go colored set with white trim and piping). I know it's an attempt to index the blue shoulders, but again, it just looks sloppy and unprofessional.

Finally, my last qualm with this set is the lack of names on the back. I know it IS the ABA, and all, but this is an All-Star Game. It showcases the best of the best of the league, as I said earlier. However, as this isn't the NBA, you're not going to know a big star from one press photo that drifts out. There's no MJ, no Dirk, no Steve Nash, Yao...nada. So if I'm a fan, and I see a picture online or in the paper of #9 for the East side...who is it? Was that the leading scorer, or a reserve? Is 9 his normal number when he plays for [insert team name here] so I can find out more info, or did he have to change numbers for the game? I think it's crucial for building any semblance of name recognition (especially in the ABA) that an ASG jersey have an NOB. Even with a last name, you still have a name to go with that number and on-court performance.

In summation, I can put it like this: I feel like any special occasion jersey for a "professional" sports league that I could probably duplicate down to a T with little or no effort or expense (save for the logo patches), and probably improve in the process (the color errors, for example)...fails. After all, if they were selling these, would anyone want to buy one? If they wanted one bad enough, a jersey supply catelogue and a few minutes on the phone could get you the same thing, or something very close to it.

My two cents, anyway. (But keep in mind, this is someone who defended the NBA LV ASG set pretty highly, for what it's worth.)

So do you want simplicity in the everyday game uniforms, but flash and pizazz with the ASG unis? I think it's borderline hypocritical.

So do you want simplicity in the everyday game uniforms, but flash and pizazz with the ASG unis? I think it's borderline hypocritical.

:blink: Not really. All-Star jerseys have always been the place to try out new ideas, patterns, striping, etc. Generally they're allowed to be more "out there" then regular uniforms. Take Pro Bowl uniforms. No team in their right mind would wear them as their regular home/road/alt set, but they work for the Pro Bowl. The NHL's All-Star Game jerseys are always unique and crazy, and for the ASG they're perfect. No team (except the Stars) would adopt an ASG uniform as inspiration for a regular uniform though (again , except for the Stars).

So no, there's no problem with liking flashy, gaudy ASG uniforms while liking clean and traditional regular uniforms. No problem at all.

:blink: Not really. All-Star jerseys have always been the place to try out new ideas, patterns, striping, etc. Generally they're allowed to be more "out there" then regular uniforms. Take Pro Bowl uniforms. No team in their right mind would wear them as their regular home/road/alt set, but they work for the Pro Bowl. The NHL's All-Star Game jerseys are always unique and crazy, and for the ASG they're perfect. No team (except the Stars) would adopt an ASG uniform as inspiration for a regular uniform though (again , except for the Stars).

So no, there's no problem with liking flashy, gaudy ASG uniforms while liking clean and traditional regular uniforms. No problem at all.

Agreed! I've always looked forward to the unveiling of the various all-star unis from every league to see what new design they were going to incorporate. I like the ABA all-star unis because they are actually pretty classy and 'old school'. I wonder if the NBA will ever go back to the days when the all-star jerseys were modeled after the host teams colors. I think that look would allow for alot more freedom in the design other than the conventional red, white, and blue.