new kits for 07/08 season

kc51design

Hmmmm, shall we send the memo to the EPL as well?

10 out of 20 teams have at least one kit that features a signifant amount of some shade of Blue in the color scheme! Horrors!!!!

Hey every kit manfacturer and the EPL! How about a little f***ing variety!!!! <_<

Frankly, I'm willing to cut EPL clubs - and their kit manufacturers - a bit more slack on this issue. Why? Because the primary kits of many of the EPL clubs in question are rendered in traditional colors that the teams adopted tens of decades ago, in an era when textile dyeing techniques dictated that certain hues would be exceedingly expensive to realize on the uniforms of football sides that did not have enormous revenues at their disposal. Therefore, team uniform colors were - by and large - limited to the basics.

No MLS franchise has existed for more than thirteen seasons. They have all come into existance during an era when improved technology makes it possible to produce sports-specific fabrics in a wider variety of colors than ever before, with no premium on pricing for certain colors.

Bottom line? I can see where an EPL side would be loathe to abandon traditional kit colors it adopted 50 to 100 years ago, even though the technology now exists to make it possible. By contrast, it strikes me as odd - as well as creatively lazy - for so many MLS franchises that have existed in ane era of unfettered team uniform color choice to all gravitate to the same, "safe" color combinations.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe they appreciate the value of timeless colors, and don't want to choose some hot color of the moment that will appear dated in a couple years.

Teal, anyone? Purple?

There's no need to "choose some hot color of the moment".

Further, while the argument can be made that Teal represents a trendy color, Purple has certainly served the likes of Fiorentina, Real Valladolid, Toulouse FC, FC Erzgebirge Aue, FK Austria Wien, MKE Ankaragucu and Sanfrecce Hiroshima well.

I wouldn't mind the embrace of "timeless colors" by MLS squads so much if there were a little bit of effort on the part of Adidas to expand the number of colors and uniform templates available to teams. Would it be too much to ask MLS, Adidas and owner/operators to consider Purple or Green as a team's primary color? To pair a "timeless" color like Red or Navy Blue with something besides White or the other "timeless color"? To throw a halved or quartered jersey template into the mix?

Exhibit A why variety is not always the spice of life

96mls_uniforms.jpg

No one is asking MLS and Adidas to create monstrosities like those.

That said, how about Purple, Green or a true Powder Blue as a primary color? How about some horizontal or vertical stripes that pair a primary color with something besides White? Hey! If MLS is so in love with Red and White stripes or Blue and White stripes, why not go all out and adopt a jersey like Willem II - Red, White and Blue stripes? How about a color combo like AS Roma's Yellow-Orange and deep Red? How about halved jerseys, like those worn by Blackburn Rovers?

Bottom line? Expanding the variety of MLS kit color and template choices needn't mean embracing trendy colors or ugly uniforms.

The full home kit for the KC Wizards. The pic from last month had blue shorts, but apparently they will wear white shorts with the blue top.

jack1.jpg

"Mr. President, call in the National Guard! Send as many men as you can spare! Because we are killing the Patriots! They need emergency help!" - Shannon Sharpe

Disappointing choice.

If, in fact, the AFC mandates the presence of numbers on the front of the jersey, Melbourne should have simply placed said numbers where the A-League logo appears on the club's traditional jerseys, or in the angle at the bottom of the "V" that adorns said jerseys.

try imagining that '24' in either of those positions... it would probably stick out beyond the V and look incredibly awkward.

The full home kit for the KC Wizards. The pic from last month had blue shorts, but apparently they will wear white shorts with the blue top.

jack1.jpg

NO!!!!!!!

Bring back the blue shorts. KCW had a great package wit hthe all blue and all white kits. This mix and match stuff has got to go.

TFC learned that last season. They would wear white shorts with red jerseys and people hated it. Then they went with an all red kit and people loved it.

96mls_uniforms.jpg

Those jerseys are PHAT! B)

As gaudy as those kits are, who wouldn't wanna see 'em back for a throwback/rewind match or two (a la the NBA's Rewind Nights)? Huh? C'mon! :D

Btw, how about those candy-cane socks? If you wanna talk about variety, MLS NEEDS a team with the candy-cane socks, IMO.

96mls_uniforms.jpg

Those jerseys are PHAT! B)

As gaudy as those kits are, who wouldn't wanna see 'em back for a throwback/rewind match or two (a la the NBA's Rewind Nights)? Huh? C'mon! :D

Btw, how about those candy-cane socks? If you wanna talk about variety, MLS NEEDS a team with the candy-cane socks, IMO.

man..what was Nike and Reebok thinking when they created those jerseys....UGLY. much less bad team names and color combinations for striping.

only the United and Crew look like traditional jerseys.

Bring back the blue shorts. KCW had a great package wit hthe all blue and all white kits. This mix and match stuff has got to go.

TFC learned that last season. They would wear white shorts with red jerseys and people hated it. Then they went with an all red kit and people loved it.

It's not "mix and match." KC has worn white shorts with their home blue shirts for quite a few years now.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

That said, how about Purple, Green or a true Powder Blue as a primary color? How about some horizontal or vertical stripes that pair a primary color with something besides White? Hey! If MLS is so in love with Red and White stripes or Blue and White stripes, why not go all out and adopt a jersey like Willem II - Red, White and Blue stripes? How about a color combo like AS Roma's Yellow-Orange and deep Red? How about halved jerseys, like those worn by Blackburn Rovers?

Bottom line? Expanding the variety of MLS kit color and template choices needn't mean embracing trendy colors or ugly uniforms.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Preach! Would love to see some new color combos in the MLS...some purples, and you found the soft spot in my heart with the AS Roma colors...those are magnificent! Get smart MLS!

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

I agree we need some new color combos in the MLS, and there are ways of doing it w/o going wacky.

To the "only Columbus & DC look traditional" in the pic comment, I think that's the point. A combination of attracting a non-soccer demo and the "hey! look what we can do!" design fads of the 90s led to those....unique sets. I do agree that they should be trotted out every once in a while, though, because I love alternates, throwbacks, and extreme cases of uniform ugliness on display. Sweet.

Some of those color schemes and all could maybe be worked into something decent with a lot of effort, however. The Clash look to be in cream, which is nice (a la the SF Giants) and could be distinctive. The Mutiny color scheme is a step in a unique direction. The Wiz's light blue, orange, salmon, & black could have something tasteful done with it somehow....maybe. And I'm of the opinion that nothing is wrong with normal greens or teal. Pretty much ever.

And speaking of the Wiz; seeing the new look with the white shorts and blue socks...I really, really like that. The crest is a huge cry for help, and the top needs an ad, not a wordmark. But the two-tone-blue work together splendidly, and the white shorts make it all pop. Yes, it's 3-stripe template madness...but it's still pretty sharp. And I'm a guy who is not a fan of much KC. (The sharpie KC on the ball however...another story.)

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

I really hope that the Real yellow is for a keeper

The blue looks stupid, it's a random color that has little to do with the club, and the piping!!! WTF

I don't like the centered adidas on chelsea/real

chelsea yellow looks embarrassing

Archived