The Biggest Sporting Event of the Year is...

Fred T. Jane

...the 2007 ICC Cricket World Cup, of course!

Watched by nearly a billion people*, the Cricket World Cup is one of the world's biggest sporting events. This year, it's being held across the Caribbean, right in the US' backyard, beginning on Sunday. Too bad the only people in the States who will care are expatriates from a particular subcontinent, Steven Cohen from World Soccer Daily, and myself.

Unlike 2003, there will be 16 teams in the tournament, in 4 groups. The top two from each group will form an 8-team group and play each other, with the top 4 advancing to the semifinals, then finals. They will be played in the One Day International (ODI) format, which is a bit more exciting and fast paced than the traditional test format.

The Groups go as such:

Group A

Australia

Netherlands

Scotland

South Africa

Group B

Bangladesh

Bermuda

India

Sri Lanka

Group C

Canada

England

Kenya

New Zealand

Group D

Ireland

Pakistan

West Indies

Zimbabwe

I'll be playing with some Completely Clueless Contemplations in the next few days as to how I think it'll play out, but feel free to chime in here first!

*OK, OK, so most of that billion is in India. But hey, that's 17% of the world's population!

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As an American, I am ashamed that Zimbabwe got into the Big Dance and the US didn't....

That's because the US Cricket Team is composed of a gaggle of Over-30 Indian Expats who seem to think that, if it wasn't for being such gosh-darn good engineering students, they could be a better captain than Ganguly or Dravid, or Sehwag could ever hope to be. As a result, the teams is old, slow, and prone to backbiting...and the Council has done nothing about it. Thanks to the petulance, the US Cricket Council was suspended from the ICC this past week. Great job, boys... <_<

http://www.icc-cricket.com/icc-media/conte...ory/282228.html

ICC Board suspends USA Cricket Association

Brian Murgatroyd

March 3, 2007

The ICC Board has suspended the membership of the United States of America Cricket Association (USACA), it was confirmed today.

The suspension has been enacted on the basis of USACA's failure to meet the agreed and subsequently extended deadlines for the adoption of the new USACA constitution and the holding of elections.

Under the terms of the suspension - which is with immediate effect and was confirmed in a letter to USACA President Gladstone Dainty on Friday - the annual ICC grant that would otherwise have been paid on 15 April will be withheld.

The USA will be withdrawn from the World Cricket League division 3 Series to be held in Darwin, Australia in May and relegated from that division.

Additionally, the national team preparation grant for that event and direct funding support from the ICC Americas Region Development Program will also be withheld.

The West Indies, as the ICC Full Member in the region, has been asked to play a lead role in monitoring progress in the USA. The suspension will stand until such time as the West Indies Cricket Board recommends and the Executive Board agrees that it should be lifted.

It is the second time the ICC Board has taken the step to suspend USACA with the body previously prevented from attending the 2005 annual conference on the basis that the ICC was unable to determine a legitimate governor of USA Cricket.

That suspension was lifted by the ICC Board in March 2006 subject to the meeting of certain conditions that included fresh elections for the USACA Board of Directors under a new constitution by 30 November 2006 and the appointment or reconfirmation of all USACA Executive positions by 31 December 2006.

By November's ICC Board meeting progress had been minimal but, following a request from USACA's Directors, the deadline for conditions to be met was extended to 1 March 2007.

This extension was granted on the basis that if the new deadline was missed then the ICC would revert to its previous position of withholding funds, not recognizing USACA at ICC meetings or USA teams in ICC competitions.

It was determined at the ICC Board meeting in Cape Town that concluded on Friday that USACA had not made the progress required of it and as such the suspension was re-enacted.

Commenting on the situation, ICC Chief Executive Officer Malcolm Speed said: "It gives the ICC Board no pleasure to re-enact this suspension but given the lack of progress towards a functioning administration of USA Cricket it has been left with little alternative.

"It is especially disappointing that the USA players have had to be penalized in this way for matters that are largely beyond their control.

"The ICC recognizes that the USA has vast potential as a cricketing nation but without a functioning administration that potential is likely to remain largely untapped.

"The ICC hopes this measure will serve to focus minds within cricketing circles in the USA, that sense will prevail and that all those with the good of the game at heart will come together and take control of this unfortunate situation."

Brian Murgatroyd is ICC Manager - Media and Communications

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Too bad the only people in the States who will care are expatriates from a particular subcontinent, Steven Cohen from World Soccer Daily, and myself.

What an ignorant remark that is.

I for one will be watching every single down of every single chukker of this tournament until the final basket is scored and the last players leave the ice.

Lets hope Canada can build on last years deafeat of Bangladesh. They put up a strong fight against Pakistan in the first warm-up match, but are struggling big time today against Ireland in their final warm-up match.

To note only 3 members of the Canadian team were born in Canada.

1zqy8ok.gif

I for one will be watching every single down of every single chukker of this tournament until the final basket is scored and the last players leave the ice.

I for one am glad that the American cricket-watching audience has grown as exponentially as it has this quickly...

A couple articles from today's Toronto Star. (They really pick up their cricket coverage durring World Cup time. That's the reason why I started following cricket)

From far and wide

Ducks, tea ... so civilized

The Competition begins tomorrow, with the West Indies taking on Pakistan. The Windies have been less than impressive in their two warm-up matches. Beating Kenya by 21 runs, then getting thrashed by India by 9 wickets (Windies were all out for 85!). Pakistan were more consistant in their warm-ups. They beat Canada by 77 runs, in a match where Canada remained competitive until the late overs. Pakistan also beat the tournament favourites, South Africa, by 7 wickets in their other warm-up.

Pakistan looks like they should be able to take this one based on form, but I wouldn't count out the hosts, considering they're playing on home soil.

1zqy8ok.gif

Too bad the only people in the States who will care are expatriates from a particular subcontinent, Steven Cohen from World Soccer Daily, and myself.

Here here! As will I! Unless of course it interferes with the syndicated Everybody Loves Raymond marathon on TBS. Because really... everybody does... ya know... love Raymond.

A couple articles from today's Toronto Star. (They really pick up their cricket coverage durring World Cup time. That's the reason why I started following cricket)

From far and wide

Ducks, tea ... so civilized

The Competition begins tomorrow, with the West Indies taking on Pakistan. The Windies have been less than impressive in their two warm-up matches. Beating Kenya by 21 runs, then getting thrashed by India by 9 wickets (Windies were all out for 85!). Pakistan were more consistant in their warm-ups. They beat Canada by 77 runs, in a match where Canada remained competitive until the late overs. Pakistan also beat the tournament favourites, South Africa, by 7 wickets in their other warm-up.

Pakistan looks like they should be able to take this one based on form, but I wouldn't count out the hosts, considering they're playing on home soil.

I think Pakistan takes it easily, but it's going to be Australia-South Africa in the final. You heard it here first.

ICC Board suspends USA Cricket Association

March 3, 2007

The ICC Board has suspended the membership of the United States of America Cricket Association (USACA), it was confirmed today.

The suspension has been enacted on the basis of USACA's failure to meet the agreed and subsequently extended deadlines for the adoption of the new USACA constitution and the holding of elections.

Under the terms of the suspension - which is with immediate effect and was confirmed in a letter to USACA President Gladstone Dainty on Friday - the annual ICC grant that would otherwise have been paid on 15 April will be withheld.

Brian Murgatroyd is ICC Manager - Media and Communications

I have two for this one...

First... "President Gladstone Dainty?" Not to seem homophobic or even one who casts stereotypes, but if that doesn't sound like a name of a kid who got the ever-loving :censored: beat out of him in school, I don't know what one would sound like...

and

"Brian Murgatroyd?" Heavens to Murgatroyd's!! Exit, Stage Left!

nav-logo.png

I think Pakistan takes it easily, but it's going to be Australia-South Africa in the final. You heard it here first.

I agree with South Africa in the final, I have them slotted to win the Super8's. However I'm picking India to take the cup over South Africa in the final.

If anyone's looking for a suprise, I'd say Ireland or Kenya are the most likely of the associates to advance. Of course I'd like Canada to beat Kenya, and that is a possibility. However there's no arguing that Kenya is the top associate nation, hell they're probably better than Bangladesh.

1zqy8ok.gif

I for one am glad that the American cricket-watching audience has grown as exponentially as it has this quickly...

Amen, brother. Matter of fact, I'm in the process of getting a group together to start a league here in St. Louis. As soon as we can reserve a pool and find an adequate supply of racquets, helmets and horses we're going to be all set to get started.

Amen, brother. Matter of fact, I'm in the process of getting a group together to start a league here in St. Louis. As soon as we can reserve a pool and find an adequate supply of racquets, helmets and horses we're going to be all set to get started.

MARCO....

I saw, I came, I left.

In Winnipeg, there is a cricket ground at Assiniboine Park, the largest park in the city. Often in the summer months, I'd head down to watch some of the local clubs play, it was a relaxing way to spend a summer's day.

To this day, I have no semblance of a clue as to how it's played.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Archived