The Biggest Sporting Event of the Year is...

Fred T. Jane

And Woolmer was about to retire in 4 days to start up a cricket academy in South Africa. Hours before his death, in the press conference, he spoke of the stresses of being a coach of a cricket-mad coutnry like Pakistan.

On the streets in Pakistan between the game and his death, people were chanting, waving banners that Woolmer should die. A case of be careful of what you wish for?

I never really liked the guy, but what he did for cricket was underestimated.

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the streets in Pakistan between the game and his death, people were chanting, waving banners that Woolmer should die. A case of be careful of what you wish for?

I'm no expert, now, but isn't their loss analogous to Canada's performance in the '98 and '06 Olympic hockey tournaments? Because if so, I don't recall anyone calling for Gretzky (or any other Team Canada staff) to die after those, especially en masse.

Maybe that means we're not as big on hockey as Pakistan is on cricket. And maybe that's not such a bad thing. :blink:

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

In Pakistan and India and possibly Sri Lanka and to a lesser extent Bangladesh are all cricket-mad countries. It's either do or die.

I'd say Hockey isn't the be-all and end-all in Canada as Cricket is the be-all and end-all on the sub-continent.

Ricky Ponting (Australian captain) was shocked during the game v Netherlands when the news broke when told of it by the 12th man during a drinks break.

Soemtimes you need to sit back and think, cricket isn't everything.

RIP Bob Woolmer.

In Winnipeg, there is a cricket ground at Assiniboine Park, the largest park in the city. Often in the summer months, I'd head down to watch some of the local clubs play, it was a relaxing way to spend a summer's day.

To this day, I have no semblance of a clue as to how it's played.

I don't see why North Americans say it's hard to understand the rules.

It's very simple.

You have 2 sides, one out in the field and one in.

Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in, until he's out.

When they are all out, the side that's out comes in, and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in out.

Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When both sides have been in and out, including the not outs, that's the end of the game.

See? Very simple when explained properly.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

In Winnipeg, there is a cricket ground at Assiniboine Park, the largest park in the city. Often in the summer months, I'd head down to watch some of the local clubs play, it was a relaxing way to spend a summer's day.

It's very simple.

Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in, until he's out.

When they are all out, the side that's out comes in, and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in out.

When both sides have been in and out, including the not outs, that's the end of the game.

...well I guess all it takes is for someone to speak "his" language....

I saw, I came, I left.

It's a bit like baseball, instead of a diamond you run up and down. Instead of 3out all out and 9 innings, you have to get the whole team out, then its your turn to make as many runs as possible and then you have a winner or if your playing real cricket, you do it all again for another innings. In real cricket you have to bowl the opposition out twice to win but at the same time score more than them.

It's very simple.

...well I guess all it takes is for someone to speak "his" language....

My language? We speak English.

Well, with Strayan accents.

Fair dinkum youse blokes, ya go on like ya chooks turned into emus and kicked ya dunny down.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

Surprise surprise. Woolmer's death is being ruled "suspicious" and an initial autopsy was apparently deemed inconclusive. One British tabloid claims that he may have overdosed on a combination of alcohol and prescription meds but then in the same breath also alluded to the fact that he was a diabetic with some form of sleep apnea.

The worst part of all is that the investigation is apparently under the jurisdiction of the Jamaican authorities. I'm a little bit biased against their credibility given the manner in which they responded to the recent death of the mother of my baby daugter Daniellyn.

The worst part of all is that the investigation is apparently under the jurisdiction of the Jamaican authorities. I'm a little bit biased against their credibility given the manner in which they responded to the recent death of the mother of my baby daugter Daniellyn.

We're talking about Jamaica here, not the Bahamas....

I saw, I came, I left.

Surprise surprise. Woolmer's death is being ruled "suspicious" and an initial autopsy was apparently deemed inconclusive. One British tabloid claims that he may have overdosed on a combination of alcohol and prescription meds but then in the same breath also alluded to the fact that he was a diabetic with some form of sleep apnea.

When I first read about his death, I initially though overdose of something. It's very possible that it was purely natural, but something jumped at me saying, that there is something fishy about this.

1zqy8ok.gif

Lammy, it's baseball with two bases. And a visible "strike zone". And no foul territory. And 1 inning. And built in food breaks.

That's it. You hit the ball, and then it's basically the equivalent of making funny faces with the teacher's back turned, hoping that when she turns around, you don't get caught. And if you do it more times than your opponent, you win. Simple.

At present, three teams are onto the Super 8: Australia, South Africa, and the Windies.

Australia's match with South Africa on Saturday is essentially the opening Super 8 match for both clubs, since the result will be carried forward.

Pakistan can eliminate Zimbabwe with a win today and push Ireland forward.

philly.png

We're talking about Jamaica here, not the Bahamas....

Never let the truth interfere with a tacky, only marginally funny at best and extremely worn out joke.

Killjoy

-Strangle marks found on his neck

-Was due to release a book uncovering the illegal bribes in cricket

-Was apparently depressed between the loss to Ireland and his death

Maybe some link there...

Pakistan won today for him.

-Strangle marks found on his neck

-Was due to release a book uncovering the illegal bribes in cricket

-Was apparently depressed between the loss to Ireland and his death

Maybe some link there...

Pakistan won today for him.

... for him or in spite of him? :suspect:

I saw, I came, I left.

Pakistan's win over Zimbabwe means Ireland are through to the Super 8, and the result of their match between them and the Windies will go through with both sides.

Scotland is currently playing the Oranje in a match that means about as much as a n00b asking us to be gentle on his first concept.

New Zealand can clinch their ticket in the second phase with a win over Canada, who are pretty much eliminated. I think one Lee Laminger needs to learn the sport and help them out in 2011.

philly.png

Pakistan's win over Zimbabwe means Ireland are through to the Super 8, and the result of their match between them and the Windies will go through with both sides.

Scotland is currently playing the Oranje in a match that means about as much as a n00b asking us to be gentle on his first concept.

New Zealand can clinch their ticket in the second phase with a win over Canada, who are pretty much eliminated. I think one Lee Laminger needs to learn the sport and help them out in 2011.

I'm open to helping out the US team. By the time I graduated, at the pick up matches at UL, I was scoring in the mid thirties. As for bowling, on the other hand... :D

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Sounds a lot like prom night.....

MURDER!!!!!!

It's an absolute disgrace that some people take sports so seriously that they resort to violence when things don't go their way. I'm sure glad this barbarous game isn't popular in the USA. We have no room for sports-related violence in this country.

Harumph!

Archived