San Diego Charger Uni changes?

webby17

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOLZ - Slug-a-bolt!

I'm liking this more and more every time I look at it, I'm even getting used to the white helmet. I'm glad the numbers aren't on the side because everytime it is reproduced for TV or an official graphic they'd have to put 07, 08, 09... or whatver year it is on it.

My one gripe is how the bolt is on a white strip on both of the blue jerseys, but in a blue strip on the pants that are worn with them. The mono (white/white, navy/navy) would look consistent, but there will be a glaring inconsistancy otherwise.

Also, we haven't gotten a good view of the "curvy" pants stripe. Everything we've seen so far makes it appear traditional. This one aspect could make or break this update.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I would have preferred a full time return to their classic throwbacks, but this is nice.

Not my favorite uni out there, but it's a nice update, rather than some awful total overhaul that doesn't even look like a football uni (Arizona, Atlanta, Minnesota).

I think most folks are seeing that the gold bolt looks better than the "washed out" white. That's one of the reasons I always preferred the Fouts-era look.

The redesigned bolt DOES bug me, though. The way the powder blue has been set between the gold and navy makes it virtually disappear on a monitor. Sure, you'll be able to see it in close-ups, but it just fades away when seen from a normal-to-farther distance.

I toyed around with it: new logo is at top of each column:

2007Chargers_Alt3.gif

My question is what's up with these new "lighter weight" numbers that are going to be on these jerseys? Is this the end of three layers of tackle twill on a three color number? Will they just screen two colors onto one piece of twill? HOW ARE THEY DOING THIS?

I think most folks are seeing that the gold bolt looks better than the "washed out" white. That's one of the reasons I always preferred the Fouts-era look.

The redesigned bolt DOES bug me, though. The way the powder blue has been set between the gold and navy makes it virtually disappear on a monitor. Sure, you'll be able to see it in close-ups, but it just fades away when seen from a normal-to-farther distance.

I toyed around with it: new logo is at top of each column:

2007Chargers_Alt3.gif

The bottom logo in the Navy column is correct, while the top logo in the Powder Blue column is correct.

There is a keyline when reproducing on a navy background, but there is NOT one against Powder Blue.

Don't know why, but there it is.

EDIT: Actually, the bottom Navy logo should be - Gold bolt, trimmed in Powder Blue, and trimmed in Navy, with a White keyline.

I had really come to appreciate the Chargers recently discarded uniform set, however I really like this new set. I wasn't sure how well the white helmet was going to look with the navy jersey but I think it looks fine. I believe the white shoulder insets on the navy jersey help reduce the stark contrast between helmet and jersey.

I like the team's stated philosophy behind the changes - it will give this generation of the franchise its own identity not unlike the original set hearkens back to the days of Hadl, Allworth and the AFL championship games, the royal blue and bright yellows hearken back to Fouts, JJ, Kellen and Air Coryell and the first navy, gold and white sets hearken back to the Natrone Bomb, the somewhat surprising Super Bowl season and the emergence of LdT. Now that this team seems to be making another move to stay near the top of the NFL heap it's time for a uniform set to identify this squad as well.

I'm looking forward to the 98-06 jerseys going on deep discount so I can pick one up fairly cheaply and I'm looking forward to seeing the new duds on the field this fall.

I feel like an idiot, lol. In earlier posts I was concerned about the white helmet and blue jersey, but then I remembered by favorite college team, Penn State. They make the white, dark blue, white combo look classic and now the Chargers are making that combo modern and are pulling it off. It took some time, but I am feeling more comfortable with this the more I look at it, it is just a radical departure from the navy helmet.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

Here's the only problem I have with this set thus far, and it's a minor, minor gripe. On the white sets of pants, I feel there should be a white outline around the bolt. It just seems to me that the bolts "pop" better on the helmet and jersey, since they're against a white background. On the blue pants stripes, the look gets a little muddied.

Other than that, damn, they sure did this up right.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Well I must say I think these jerseys are very nice looking. Modern and stylish, but nowhere near Viking/Cardinal territory.

I don't really understand the shoulder stripe though... is it supposed to go all the way around the sleeve (in versions not taylored for game use) or is it supposed to stop short?

Also, I was kind of hoping they'd bring back the uni numbers on the helmets...

on navy:

chargers-alt1.jpg

wow, i love that set:) the ONLY thing keeping me from loving the makeover is the # font though

The number font is a little like Star Trek, but pretty cool. However, what is even more cool is the description of the gold pants on this picture. Good Stuff!!!

Earlier in the thread, I called this uniform a bad compromise and thought that the owners should have gone all the way. I take it all back.

While I'm still not a huge fan of the navy-then-powder outline of the bolt, they really did a nice job here. The new LDT #21, I'm sure, will be the number one selling jersey again this year. Kudos to the Chargers.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

looks what me found

32459yt2.jpg

as you can see the road unis have the navy shoulder stripe . I wonder what the navy pants look like. maybe just plain navy with a bolt on it

looks like they changed the bolts back the other way on the sleeves. Maybe that was the change they were talking about.

They look like the USFLs Oakland Invaders all they need is a yellow helmet and there you go..

hebert.jpg

They look like the USFLs Oakland Invaders all they need is a yellow helmet and there you go..

hebert.jpg

I'd call that a compliment.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived