NorCal prep sports history made in San Jose

IronChefShark

Bellarmine vs. Valley Chirstain

Tonight I was a part of Northern California high school sports history. For the first time ever, two Northern California high schools fielded ice hockey teams and competed against each other in the first ever CIF sanctioned ice hockey game in Northern California History

Final score was Valley Christain 8 Bellarmine 5. Good action all night long, and the passion amongst the players was extremely high between the two rival schools. The stands were filled to the gills and as loud as Logitech Ice gets for San Jose State games, this high school crowd rivaled those Spartans crowds.

Attendance was free, although I did contribute a can of Rosarita refried beans to the Second Harvest food drive.

That's cool. Does California have more than one sanctioning body? We only have one for all of Florida.

Unfortunately I doubt ice hockey will ever be sanctioned here considering it's only played at the high school level in Tampa and Miami (and maybe Jacksonville too, I can't remember). Far too few schools to sanction it though. We had much more roller hockey playing schools and even that couldn't get sanctioned.

Is high school roller hockey still sanctioned in California? I remember hearing that it was the only state ever to sanction it.

Hmmmm. Now what do you mean exactly by sanctioned? Im positive ive been to games at the Arena in Tahoe where two California teams have played. In fact, I think I saw like Redwood City play Palos Verdes or something. Now that was in tournament form so maybe thats different and they were club teams or something, but I know they had some affiliation to the schools.

And to just clear something up a bit for you Helix, California is the only state that has seperate championships for Northern and Southern California, so that does make it easier to create championships.

And to just clear something up a bit for you Helix, California is the only state that has seperate championships for Northern and Southern California

Are you sure Nebraska doesn't have seperate [sic] championships for Northern and Southern California?

And to just clear something up a bit for you Helix, California is the only state that has seperate championships for Northern and Southern California

Are you sure Nebraska doesn't have seperate [sic] championships for Northern and Southern California?

Keep reachin man, your juuuuuuuuust missin it.

Hmmmm. Now what do you mean exactly by sanctioned? Im positive ive been to games at the Arena in Tahoe where two California teams have played. In fact, I think I saw like Redwood City play Palos Verdes or something. Now that was in tournament form so maybe thats different and they were club teams or something, but I know they had some affiliation to the schools.

And to just clear something up a bit for you Helix, California is the only state that has seperate championships for Northern and Southern California, so that does make it easier to create championships.

I'm assuming it means the governing body of High School sport recognized the game as a Varsity game and not a club game.

Sanctioned as in full varsity recognition by the State high school sports association.

Club teams have affiliation to the school too, but are not governed by the State association.

I think Pennsylvania has separate associations for the eastern and western parts of the State, too. I could be wrong though.

I can speak that New Jersey has one organization that covers the entire state.

In terms of ice hockey, they sponsor two championships -- one for public schools, and one for non-public schools. Of course, hockey is one of only three sports I can think of (football and wrestling the other two) where they do not seed the playoffs strictly by record, which is how my alma mater entered the non-public tournament as the #5 seed with a 19-0-0 record.

Keep reachin man, your juuuuuuuuust missin it.

South Carolina has separate championships for the Upstate and for the Low Country.

for the hell of mention, Wisconsin has one large organization covering the whole state, and a much smaller one that caters to Christian schools. Used to be two big ones, though, one for public schools and one for private schools, and they only merged into one about 6 or 7 years ago. Relating to hockey, we don't have many teams (mostly Winnesota, up north, and some Milwaukee area schools.)

and mentioning playoffs, just about the only team sport I can think of here that doesn't let everybody in the playoffs is football. Heh, the girls basketball team stunk when I was there, and THEY made the playoffs after goin 1-19, 2-18 or something.

for the hell of mention, Wisconsin has one large organization covering the whole state, and a much smaller one that caters to Christian schools. Used to be two big ones, though, one for public schools and one for private schools, and they only merged into one about 6 or 7 years ago. Relating to hockey, we don't have many teams (mostly Winnesota, up north, and some Milwaukee area schools.)

and mentioning playoffs, just about the only team sport I can think of here that doesn't let everybody in the playoffs is football. Heh, the girls basketball team stunk when I was there, and THEY made the playoffs after goin 1-19, 2-18 or something.

Yeah, most of the hockey schools in the Milwaukee area are either private schools or co-ops (I believe there are co-ops for Whitefish Bay/Shorewood/Nicolet and the three Brookfield schools). It's rare that a public school has it's own hockey team, but I have two cousins that play hockey for Homestead in Mequon (one's a senior on the girls team, the other is a sophomore on the boys team).

Minnesota has one organization for the state, and everyone makes the section play-offs for every sport... You can go 0-8 in football, and you're still in; 0-25 in hockey or basketball, and your in... Basically, in each class (school size), there are 8 sections. Within that section, all teams are seeded. Some sections (usally the smallest classes) have sub-sections (for example the section is divided into north and south, then the sub-section champs meet for the section title.) From there, you have a play-off. Again, it doesn't matter if you won all your games, or none of them, you're in. At the end of section play-offs, the 8 section champs in each class make the "State Tourney," commonley referred to as "making state." From there, you have a convienient 8 team bracket for the quarters, semi's and finals.

I think it's pretty rediculious for these smaller states to have two seperate "State Champs." I understand California, but South Carolina? Mass? That's just dumb. Heck, Minnesota just had it's state hockey tourney, and Roseau played Rochester Century in the Semi's. Those two schools are 518 miles apart, and it would take 8 and a half hours to get from one town to the other (according to Mapquest). (The game was played btw, at the Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul, MN) I can't even fathom what would happen if it were suggested that there should be a "Northern Minnesota" State Champ, and a "Southern Minnesota" State Champ. Folks here would laugh their heads off...

Moose

Archived