MLB Alternate Logo Project

ltravisjr

Time for installment 3 of the MLB alternate logo project. Previously I presented the AL East: http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?showtopic=46767 and the AL Central: http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?showtopic=47020. Now it is time for the AL West:

Oakland:

Rather then create a completely new alt for Oakland, I just couldn?t turn down the chance to redo their current one, which I think looks messy and more like an illustration than a logo.

OAK.png

Los Angeles:

I didn?t want to lose the characteristic halo, but it needed something else, and the ?A? is already taken. I figured a couple of crossed bats would make a nice composition.

LAAalt.png

Texas:

I combined eras by re-introducing the ranger hat and incorporating the Texas ?T? into it. I guess its satisfactory, although it doesn?t wow me.

tex.png

Seattle:

I thought a captain?s wheel composed of baseball bats was a worthy idea. I have been struggling with how to present it with a good balance of simplicity vs. detail and color. I am open to suggestions here

SEAalt.png

I hope you folks are enjoying this, it is turning into quite a challenge.

LT

ltravisjr--these look pretty good. I think the best alternate logos that you have done are the ones that fit the overall look of the team, e.g. the two tone red for the Angels and the classic, simple BoSox logo. That said, the logos get better as they move up the page. The Seattle logo was a good idea, but the Mariners' scheme is more choppy, I guess, than yours. The cowboy hat looks pretty cool, but I think the T would have to be bigger for it to work perfectly. The second one looks the best, with the halo and reds, but I don't think you'd use two interlocking bats as a logo. Lastly the elephant is craaazy good! It looks ten times better than their current one, which isn't bad, and I think its the best logo you've done in this series. Overall, I think that the AL West looks really cool, and if you take a little more of the style of the specific team, it will be even better. B

rtrich11 and LEWJ - thanks for the good words; I was unsure about this particular set so it's nice to hear the compliments.

LucaMaz3 - Yes, I know exactly what you mean by evoking the look and feel of the team's existing identity. For some of these, I can really feel when I pull it off. For others, they sometimes feel like replacement logos rather then alternates, even if they are well presented. I appreciate all your C.C.

averyj - Very interesting idea. I was on the fence on whether to even include reflections. I had to take your advice and at least try the white. I can go either way on this so I present the side-by-side comparison for everyone's judgement:

OAK.pngOAKalt3.png

Thanks for the C.C. so far, everyone!

LT

rtrich11 and LEWJ - thanks for the good words; I was unsure about this particular set so it's nice to hear the compliments.

LucaMaz3 - Yes, I know exactly what you mean by evoking the look and feel of the team's existing identity. For some of these, I can really feel when I pull it off. For others, they sometimes feel like replacement logos rather then alternates, even if they are well presented. I appreciate all your C.C.

averyj - Very interesting idea. I was on the fence on whether to even include reflections. I had to take your advice and at least try the white. I can go either way on this so I present the side-by-side comparison for everyone's judgement:

OAK.pngOAKalt3.png

Thanks for the C.C. so far, everyone!

LT

You know, as I'm looking at it, it looks like he's staring at the bats. with the reflection.

I've changed my mind again, screw the reflections.

They're just too hard to pull off, in my opinion.

You know, I rarely visit ccslsc anymore. I really should fix that.

You know, as I'm looking at it, it looks like he's staring at the bats. with the reflection.

I've changed my mind again, screw the reflections.

They're just too hard to pull off, in my opinion.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll just continue to toy with them, and may end up discarding them. We'll see what happens.

LT

Oakland:

OAK.png

Los Angeles:

LAAalt.png

Texas:

tex.png

Seattle:

SEAalt.png

I think this is your best set yet.

Oakland: The A's cap is one element too much. Ditch it and you're golden.

Los Angeles: Nice, but the halo in that position doesn't look like a halo anymore; it looks like a ring or a band. You hardly ever see teams use baseball gloves as logos. What about a red-and-red ball glove with a halo above it?

Texas: Sweet. Just, like, totally freakin' sweet.

Seattle: Again, sweet. Simple, direct, and absolutely clear in communicating the team identity.

20082614447.png

The reflections on the Athletics' logo is a toughy. Personally I like the white. When they're yellow it looks like the lenses are cut off. If you're going to have them make them white, or ditch them all together.

Overall, this is beautiful. Clearly your best set as each team could actually use them. Bravo, good sir!

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

Thanks very kindly to all of you for your comments so far. Like I said, I was actually least confident putting out this set, so I am pleasantly surprised. Ballwonk - that is one more excellent suggestion from you. I will consider it when I revisit the set, and certainly will keep the glove idea in the back of my mind as I start in on the NL sets as well. Leonard - since you are apparently an M's fan, I consider your comments high praise - thanks :).

LT

The alternate logos for the AL West - truly very well done. :D

A great piece of work, if I may say so myself.

Word of advice son...the little circle thingy by some of the threads indicates you've posted in this thread already (since you show little willingness to actually read threads, I'll help you out). :wacko:<_<

As for the logos, I like them, although that smug Oakland logo is somehow inspiring me to root against them.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Take a (bow) .

A's: A little overdone, between the hat, the bat and the glasses. Working with only 2 colors makes a lot of the details seem muddled (the glasses most specifically). I know what your source material is, but I had to looka 2nd time to figure it out.

ANGELS: I'm with 'Wonk on this one. A halo only looks like a halo when it's hovering over someone/something. Maybe a single bat (or glove, as was suggested) with wings and/or a halo?

RANGERS: My favorite of the set. Nothing to add.

MARINERS: My only small suggestion would be to make the handles of the bats a little thicker. They taper so much that they almost don't look like bats all the way down.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

My very first look at the A's logo made me confused. I think you should go with the white reflections. The cut-off look made me initially question whether they were in fact shades.

Also, the white in the shades would go well with the bat highlights.

As a Rangers fan I'm a bit disappointed with the alternate Rangers concept. A cowboy hat is too stereotypical, and while the others are a sleeker or more cooler version of the current logo it just seems like you put the T on a cowboy hat. I would much prefer something else, like a sleeker T or something involving the flag of Texas.

Archived