Major NFL uni overhauls

southernyankee

The recent Charger Uni change got me thinking. I really love this update and can honestly say that it is the first major change in NFL uniforms in a while that I actually think is an upgrade. (No - I'm not a fan of the Buc's unis) Thinking back about the last twenty years - I came up with these major uniform changes - major meaning more than tweaking stripes/logo patches and royal to navy - and changing team color and helmet shell color. I'm also not counting expansion or relocation (Titans/Ravens) Here's what I can recall:

Jets - 1998 - This was an upgrade

Pats - 1993 - Goodbye Pat - Hello Elvis

Denver - 1997

Bucs - 1997

Falcons - 1990 (Red to Black)

Seattle - 2002

I know many would probably include Eagles 1997, Giants 2000, Rams 2000, Cards 2005

Am I missing anything ?? Thoughts anyone?

The recent Charger Uni change got me thinking. I really love this update and can honestly say that it is the first major change in NFL uniforms in a while that I actually think is an upgrade. (No - I'm not a fan of the Buc's unis) Thinking back about the last twenty years - I came up with these major uniform changes - major meaning more than tweaking stripes/logo patches and royal to navy - and changing team color and helmet shell color. I'm also not counting expansion or relocation (Titans/Ravens) Here's what I can recall:

Jets - 1998 - This was an upgrade

Pats - 1993 - Goodbye Pat - Hello Elvis

Denver - 1997

Bucs - 1997

Falcons - 1990 (Red to Black)

Seattle - 2002

I know many would probably include Eagles 1997, Giants 2000, Rams 2000, Cards 2005

Am I missing anything ?? Thoughts anyone?

Falcons 2003

Bengals 2004

Vikings 2006

Can I offer up an early prediction on the next team to overhaul their look? (The Saints are rumored to be the next, so I ain't including them...)

It's going to be a tie between the Panthers and the Chiefs.

You heard it here first.

(Okay...maybe I'm just hoping for a nice revamp of one, and a slight tweak of the other?)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Do the Chargers have white uniforms because I can't find that set. It's just the navy and the powder blue.

Ummm.....yes.....because I'm pretty sure the NFL requires you to have a white jersey.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

no matter if ur a fan of the Bucs set or not, its definetly an upgrade over the creamsicle jerseys!

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Can I offer up an early prediction on the next team to overhaul their look? (The Saints are rumored to be the next, so I ain't including them...)

It's going to be a tie between the Panthers and the Chiefs.

You heard it here first.

(Okay...maybe I'm just hoping for a nice revamp of one, and a slight tweak of the other?)

The Chiefs are in desperate need for an update. You could do so much with those colors, instead of those outdated 1970's looking things they wear right now. Darken the red, incorporate a little more black into the uniform and use a little more yellow (as trim) and you could have something sharp, while keeping the traditional Chief look as well.

The Panthers seem so anal and conservative with their uniforms (the Jerry Richardson effect), that they will probably not rush to change anything. They could use some "tweaking" as well to their uniforms. I have always felt that they should wear silver pants with the white jerseys (with the silver helmets and black socks), but I wonder if Al Davis would have a fit if they did? I have also always felt that they would look better with the white pants with the light blue jerseys (with light blue socks).

Actually, the next team to update (besides the Saints), I think could be the Cowboys. I could see a updated version to their uniforms (complete with a reduction in colors) coming with the new stadium in the next few years. They could use it as well.

As a Chiefs fan, I honestly wouldn't mind a CLASSY tweak of the uniforms. The Chargers and Broncos got themselves some distinguishable modern looks, and I think the Chiefs could follow suit as long as they went about it the right way. NO Vegas gold, NO changing of the logo, and NO ridiculous piping.

I can't believe evryone wants a Chiefs change so bad. I think they have a timeless and classic set right now, and to think of adding black sickens me. After the Vikings fixed what wasn't broken and now have one of the worst unis in the league, I would hate the same fate to befall KC.

The Chiefs are in desperate need for an update. You could do so much with those colors, instead of those outdated 1970's looking things they wear right now. Darken the red, incorporate a little more black into the uniform and use a little more yellow (as trim) and you could have something sharp, while keeping the traditional Chief look as well.

It's worse than you think! The Chefs have had the same basic uniform since 1960!! :cursing: When they moved from Dallas to KC, all they did was change the helmet logo...the colors, stripes, etc. have stayed the same. The only real tweaks they have done is with the red pants in 1968 and the white facemask in 1973...pretty darn boring!

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

I can't believe evryone wants a Chiefs change so bad. I think they have a timeless and classic set right now, and to think of adding black sickens me. After the Vikings fixed what wasn't broken and now have one of the worst unis in the league, I would hate the same fate to befall KC.

Agreed, agreed, agreed.

Change for change's sake is never a good thing.

It's worse than you think! The Chefs have had the same basic uniform since 1960!! :cursing: When they moved from Dallas to KC, all they did was change the helmet logo...the colors, stripes, etc. have stayed the same. The only real tweaks they have done is with the red pants in 1968 and the white facemask in 1973...pretty darn boring!

They also reduced the size of the arrowhead. Used to be huge. :D

Dawson2a.JPG

Can't say I agree with your opinion on the Chiefs' unis. So what if they haven't changed. It's a good set. Look at American Airlines - their current paint scheme will be 40 years old in 2008 and it still looks great.

b757_15.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

no matter if ur a fan of the Bucs set or not, its definetly an upgrade over the creamsicle jerseys!

And all these years I thought it was! Thanks for correcting me. I feel soooo stupid. :cry:

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Agreed, agreed, agreed.

Agreed and Agreed. The Chiefs look great. Leave them alone.

BB52Big.jpg

Agreed, agreed, agreed.

But it wouldn't be change for the sake of change. The Chiefs have a major uniform inconsistency between the jerseys/pants/socks and the helmet. Yellow outlines added to the logo and black outlines added to the jerseys, pants, and socks would do wonders to "unify" the uniform.

I'm not sure that "unity" is really a worthwhile goal in itself.

The Vikings and Cardinals are pretty "unified" at the moment, but they look like clowns. Heck, if unity is so important, it's time to add pinstripes to the Yankee roads and overhaul their color scheme. The rejected 1970s Yankee roads (navy with white pinstripes and "NY" logo) would have been a pretty unified look. It would also have been awful.

The Chiefs uniforms come from a different time, when marketing wasn't the most important consideration behind the uniform design. I say we let them be.

Agreed, agreed, agreed.

But it wouldn't be change for the sake of change. The Chiefs have a major uniform inconsistency between the jerseys/pants/socks and the helmet. Yellow outlines added to the logo and black outlines added to the jerseys, pants, and socks would do wonders to "unify" the uniform.

Please, NO black. There's no need for it. The black exists in the logo to help it stand out on one of the best helmets in the league. It's there because any yellow added to the arrowhead would seriously throw it off. The Vikings have black in their logo, but you don't see it on the uniform because an addition of it would just look forced. The Chiefs colors would have to remain the same if a change were to be introduced. I wouldn't want a change, but if it happened, I'd be okay with a classy but modern design.

Archived