Planned WHA Merger Team Jerseys and NHL Redo

zig

I have been interested in the WHA for a while and after reading the book, "The Rebel League", I have thought of how a Six-Team expansion would change the face of the NHL today. I made my list of what teams would not have existed because of the WHA. I did not take into affect future expansion and relocations. This quote from the book will explain all that you need to know about the Six-Team merger.

Like the WHA itself, the merger plan would change shapes and sizes continually and make up its own rules more than once before the final terms were agreed upon in March 1979. There were plans to include twelve teams. There were plans to include six teams. There were plans to include four teams. There were plans for two teams, and on that would let the Houston Aeros go to the NHL by itself. The one constant in all the plans was that the majority of the NHL teams wanted some form of accommodations with the WHA while a smaller but obstinate group of owners - led by Toronto's Harold Ballard, Chicago's Bill Wirtz, and Boston's Paul Mooney - blocked any peace effort. Not coincidentally, those three teams were hit hardest by player defections in the WHA's early years. They would exact some measure of revenge...

...The merger movement really started in earnest when John Ziegler replaced Clarence Campbell as NHL president in 1977... That summer he and a group led by Baldwin and Bill DeWitt Jr, of Cincinnati had, as we've seen, an agreement in place that would admit six teams - Cincinnati, Houston, and the four that eventually made it, New England, Quebec, Edmonton, and Winnipeg. Under the terms of that agreement, the six WHA teams would join the NHL intact, play in the same division, and slowly evolve toward a full interlocking schedule with the senior league over five years. In retrospect , the plan made too much sense.

The WHA believed it had a deal... At a league meeting, Baldwin told his fellow owners to go home and simply wait for the merger. Then Ballard and Mooney rallied the NHL's anti-merger forces and defeated the Baldwin-DeWitt proposal by one vote.

This is the map I have of the NHL if the merger had happened like this and if the Jets, Nordiques, and Whalers did not move. I used the Plymouth Whalers logo of the OHL and the Houston Aeros logo of the AHL because I always felt that those two logos would be great for those teams to use today.

Jets, Whalers, and the Nordiques all stay. There is no need for there to be two teams in Texas so the North Stars stay put. The Blue Jackets aren't created because there is already a team in Ohio, The Stingers.

fantasynhlalllogos.png

Jerseys are below

Cincinnati Stingers

They take the Columbus Blue Jackets' place because the Blue Jackets would not have been created if there was already a team in Ohio. I kept the Blue Jackets' players on the Stingers even though that doesn't make that much sense but I just did it to show you the team it took away.

Home

stingeryellowfinal.png

Away

stingerswhite.png

Alt

stingersblack.png

Hartford Whalers

I kept the Whalers in Hartford just so that I could recreate their old jerseys. I looked at lots of old Whalers jerseys and tried to match their striping. I also took "Pucky" from sportslogos.net and I cleaned it up a lot. I used the Plymouth Whalers jersey because I always felt that would be an awesome logo if the Whalers ever came back. I kept Carolina's players.

Home

whalersbluefinal.png

Away

whalerswhite.png

Alt Home

whalersaltfinal.png

Alt Away

whalerswhitealtfinal.png

Houston Aeros

I took an old Houston Aeros concept I made and I updated it a little. I liked the general look but I changed some things around. I don't want to use the Thrashers' fonts so I will change them once I find one I like. I kept Howe on the back from the old concept I did.

Away, home, and alt

aerosjersey2withoutextranew.png

Minnesota North Stars

I kept the North Stars in Minnesota. I decided not to move them to Dallas because I don't think the NHL would put two teams in Texas (The other being Houston). If the North Stars stayed in Minnesota then the Wild would have never been created. I wanted simple jerseys and the alt is what they used to wear. I darkened the colors to what the Stars wear today

Home and Away

northstars.png

Alt

newnothstarsthrowbackfinal.png

Quebec Nordiques

I really like the the old WHA era Nordiques jerseys with powder blue and I decided to keep that color in their color scheme. I used the unused logo for the alt but I changed the color a little bit. I also just realized that I forgot to make a white jersey and will do that soon.

Blue Home

nordiquesbluefinal.png

Red Home and Alt

nordiquesarizona2.png

Winnipeg Jets

I wanted the Jets jerseys to be simple. I used logos from different eras and kept the Coyotes' players

Home

jetsnewblue.png

Away

jetswhite.png

Alt

jetsredalt.png

C&C Please (On any of these)

I'd like to point out that the "Mig" wasn't popular with the hockey fans in Houston, which led to the return of the bomber. Otherwise, they look pretty good.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I'd like to point out that the "Mig" wasn't popular with the hockey fans in Houston, which led to the return of the bomber. Otherwise, they look pretty good.

Isn't that interesting to see the level of details that Designers need to apply to their designs?

I can see why Texans (or Americans in general) wouldn't be crazy about Migs...

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Overall, i like where your designs are going.

They tend to be very traditional, and may lack a little of variety between them, but when it's good, it's good.

My favourite is the light blue Nordiques...

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

The good ol' Cincy Stingers. A shame they weren't admitted to the NHL. Kinda got ripped off, but let's not forget that Cleveland gave Ohio a shot at the NHL in the 1970s and it was one of the biggest disasters in NHL history. Worse than the St. Louis Eagles.

Having said that... I think the Cincy Stingers logo is horrible, and I don't think it was ever cool. It's funny to see it along side these present NHL logos. Neat idea!

That Whalers Alt looks mighty familiar...

WhalerAlt1.jpg

http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?showtopic=46963

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

I would have to disagree with you regarding the Stars move to Dallas. Dallas is a natural rival with Houston, therefore that would make a move that much more likely. Also, the league added a franchise in Miami even though they already had a franchise in Tampa. Florida is not what one would consider a hockey hotbed. The Stars are in a better place now.

That being said, I do like the North Star logo and think you did a good job on the jerseys.

usa-sm.giffinland-sm.gifstars1-sm.gifdall1-sm.gif

I would have to disagree with you regarding the Stars move to Dallas. Dallas is a natural rival with Houston, therefore that would make a move that much more likely. Also, the league added a franchise in Miami even though they already had a franchise in Tampa. Florida is not what one would consider a hockey hotbed. The Stars are in a better place now.

That being said, I do like the North Star logo and think you did a good job on the jerseys.

the stars are in a better place?

are you on drugs?

minnesota is the land of hockey. when they were ROBBED of the stars it killed that community.

2004RedSox.png

the stars are in a better place?

are you on drugs?

minnesota is the land of hockey. when they were ROBBED of the stars it killed that community.

Then they should have built the d@mn arena...

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Here's one thing I don't understand about the North Stars move. The Target Center opened in 1990 (at least according to wikipedia), why didn't the North Stars move in there?

As far as Hartford, Winnipeg, and Quebec City, what difference would Houston and Cincinnati keeping their team have to do with the problems those cities had?

As far as Hartford, Winnipeg, and Quebec City, what difference would Houston and Cincinnati keeping their team have to do with the problems those cities had?

I just wanted to make concepts for those three teams

Here's one thing I don't understand about the North Stars move. The Target Center opened in 1990 (at least according to wikipedia), why didn't the North Stars move in there?

If I were to take a stab at it, it probably has awful sightlines in "hockey mode". (I don't know, and I'm pretty sure the AFL team played there, and maybe the Moose as well, so "hockey compatibility" was not an issue.

Maybe the team wanted an arena all by its loneself, or the Target Center was deficient in luxury boxes (no idea honestly).

Today, we are all otaku.

It's not a Mig fighter. A Mig is I believe a Russian fighter jet so there is now way, especially in texas, that they would use a Russian fighter jet. It's an F/A-18 Hornet fighter jet on the logo.

It's not a Mig fighter. A Mig is I believe a Russian fighter jet so there is now way, especially in texas, that they would use a Russian fighter jet. It's an F/A-18 Hornet fighter jet on the logo.

It's because their marketing team and logo designers couldn't tell the difference between fighters if they came and strafed them.

F/A-18 E/F Super Hornet (what they claimed it was).

F-18.jpg

The logo

Mig.gif

A Mig-25 Foxbat (what the logo actually is).

Mig25.jpg

Today, we are all otaku.

Aside from the obvious similarities to the Russian Mig-25, changing it from a "steel" blue color, as it was the first year of the logo, to a Minnesota Wild mandated communist red, did nothing to calm the fans of the Aeros who not only lost their beloved (American) bomber logo, but also their team colors to an out of state corporate entity.

It's no wonder they changed it back after all those blunders.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

I just wanted to make concepts for those three teams

Wow, I'm not thinking today. I didn't realize this was in concepts.

Archived