Bowie Kuhn dies

NoHoJoe

Bowie Kuhn has died after a brief illness. He was 80.

My condolences to his family, but by no means would I consider him responsible for Free Agency. He won the Supreme court case which upheld baseball's Reserve Clause.

Curt Flood and Marvin Miller would move ahead of Kuhn.

I thought he was a great commissioner. I think MLB went through a lot of radical changes during his tenure and for the most part he kept baseball profitable and stable, even the strike under his tenure seems mild compared to what happened in 1994.

Also 1969 - 1984 produced some of the best baseball seasons ever seen, he's not solely responsible for that, but he has to be given some credit.

He was certainly miles ahead of Bud Selig, let's put it that way.

The only thing I know about him is what I read from "Ball Four" and his battle with the author, Jim Bouton. Great book, great, great book...

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

He was certainly miles ahead of Bud Selig, let's put it that way.

Saying Bowie Kuhn was miles ahead of Bud Selig as a Commissioner of Baseball is like saying that a lunar mission is traveling more miles than going to my Aunt Shirley's.

How's that for a Dennis Miller segue?

Seriously though, I disliked Kuhn until I read his book, "Hardball." While I can't say I warmed up to him as a person, I did grow a grudging respect for him as an administrator.

nav-logo.png

Giving credit to Kuhn for Free Agency is like giving credit to King George for the US getting Independence from England.

I strongly agree with you, Tank.

Kuhn was a very good commish. Selig should still learn alots from him.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Kuhn always had fan interest at heart though not all his decisions were good, and he fought against Free Agency, but tried to make the best of it when an arbitrator ruled against MLB.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

At least during his tenure as commissioner, a lot of mid and small market-sized teams were competiting for and won championships, such as Oakland (which I don't really consider "small-market" because they in the nation's 5th largest TV market), Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Kansas City, Minnesota, St. Louis, Cincinnati, and Milwaukee...unlike much of what's happened between the early 90s through today.

Please dont cry for Baltimore, they are not a small market team, Angelos spends with the best of them, he just spends for the wrong players.

Agreed...but I mentioned small and mid-sized markets. Unlike the current commissioner who bitches and whines about the small market-big market dispairity (including with his own beloved hometown Brewers), teams during the Kuhn era pretty much had an equal chance to compete and win. At one point back then, the Royals had one of the highest payrolls in MLB, and look at them now. I'm sure as hell aren't crying for these so-called poor teams, who have done nothing but mismanage their franchises both on and off the field.

Please dont cry for Baltimore, they are not a small market team, Angelos spends with the best of them, he just spends for the wrong players.

Agreed...but I mentioned small and mid-sized markets. Unlike the current commissioner who bitches and whines about the small market-big market dispairity (including with his own beloved hometown Brewers), teams during the Kuhn era pretty much had an equal chance to compete and win. At one point back then, the Royals had one of the highest payrolls in MLB, and look at them now. I'm sure as hell aren't crying for these so-called poor teams, who have done nothing but mismanage their franchises both on and off the field.

Your sig makes that post so ironic.

Giving credit to Kuhn for Free Agency is like giving credit to King George for the US getting Independence from England.

Was this your attempt at mimicking Dennis Miller?

Well I thought it was pretty good. But then again, I like Dennis Miller too... :unsure:

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Archived