Canucks logo update for next season!

kiwi_canadian

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What exactly does Orca Bay do? I've never figured that out.

They run the Canucks and GM Place. Obviously a nefarious entity as anyone can see...

:therock: So thats all they do? Run the Canucks? No other business venture anywhere in the grand scheme? Is it just a bunch of stoners who got togather one day and said, "Hey, lets pool our cash and buy a hockey team and like...... A rink man."

Here is the link to WIkipedia saying what Orca Bay is. Lets hope this shines some light on the situation lol.

Orca Bay Sports and Entertainment

So the complaint that Orca Bay is only using the logo for self/cross-promotion kind of loses validity if their only real property is the Vancouver Canucks. They are using a whale logo to promote the Canucks. So what's the issue?

zzPEfBm.png

They run the Canucks and GM Place. Obviously a nefarious entity as anyone can see...

:therock: So thats all they do? Run the Canucks? No other business venture anywhere in the grand scheme? Is it just a bunch of stoners who got togather one day and said, "Hey, lets pool our cash and buy a hockey team and like...... A rink man."

Here is the link to WIkipedia saying what Orca Bay is. Lets hope this shines some light on the situation lol.

So the complaint that Orca Bay is only using the logo for self/cross-promotion kind of loses validity if their only real property is the Vancouver Canucks. They are using a whale logo to promote the Canucks. So what's the issue?

Is the team named the Vancouver Orcas or the Vancouver Killer Whales? No. They're the Vancouver Canucks. A canuck is a Canadian, just like yankee means American. An orca, or any other type of marine life for that matter, does not represent the name "Canucks." Johnny Canuck is essentially Canada's Uncle Sam. He's taken on many forms, with the lumberjack being just one of many. It was the lumberjack, with its connection to the forests of BC, that was chosen to represent both Johnny Canuck and the original WHL Vancouver Canucks.

The fact is that the Johnny Canuck logo represents the name "Vancouver Canucks" on more then one level. First off, being Johnny Canuck means he has a tie in with the name "Canucks." The team was named after a slang word for "Canadian" and Johnny Canuck is a logo that's the manifestation of that slang word.

Being a lumberjack means that not only does Johnny Canuck represent the name on a broad scale, but he also has a tie-in with the Pacific northwest.

If the cooperation that owns the Canucks and GM Place wants to use an orca whale as their corporate logo, all the power to them. That doesn't mean, however, that a hockey team they own, who's name has no connection to orcas, should adopt one as their primary. Do the braves wear the CNN logo on their caps? Do the Flyers wear Comcast logos? Do the Blue Jays wear Rogers Communications logos?

Is the team named the Vancouver Orcas or the Vancouver Killer Whales? No. They're the Vancouver Canucks. A canuck is a Canadian, just like yankee means American. An orca, or any other type of marine life for that matter, does not represent the name "Canucks." Johnny Canuck is essentially Canada's Uncle Sam. He's taken on many forms, with the lumberjack being just one of many. It was the lumberjack, with its connection to the forests of BC, that was chosen to represent both Johnny Canuck and the original WHL Vancouver Canucks.

The fact is that the Johnny Canuck logo represents the name "Vancouver Canucks" on more then one level. First off, being Johnny Canuck means he has a tie in with the name "Canucks." The team was named after a slang word for "Canadian" and Johnny Canuck is a logo that's the manifestation of that slang word.

Being a lumberjack means that not only does Johnny Canuck represent the name on a broad scale, but he also has a tie-in with the Pacific northwest.

If the cooperation that owns the Canucks and GM Place wants to use an orca whale as their corporate logo, all the power to them. That doesn't mean, however, that a hockey team they own, who's name has no connection to orcas, should adopt one as their primary. Do the braves wear the CNN logo on their caps? Do the Flyers wear Comcast logos? Do the Blue Jays wear Rogers Communications logos?

... do the Maple Leafs wear a maple leaf? ooops ^_^

I saw, I came, I left.

Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment was formed and named long after the team had adopted the maple leaf as its logo and namesake.

Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment was formed and named long after the team had adopted the maple leaf as its logo and namesake.

I'm well aware of that ...especially consdering we lived through the Harold Ballard years ....:D

I saw, I came, I left.

Oh, come on. :rolleyes:

"Canuck" is a broad term, and yes, it refers to Canadians. But a lumberjack is no more a Canuck than an orca is. Do you want to learn about Johnny Canuck? Here's the wiki page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Canuck

Where does it say he is a lumberjack? Follow some of the links about him and tell me where in any of them does it say he is a lumberjack. The lumberjack was chosen for the Pacific Coast/Western Hockey League Canucks logo because it can be identified with Canada's Pacific Northwest; JUST AS THE ORCA CAN! In fact, souvenir merchandise in Vancouver's touristy Gastown is constantly covered with orca representations, because orcas are well-identified with the Pacific coast. So is Native artwork, and both it and the orca are represented in the hockey team's logo. The orca is also used quite a bit in Native art.

No, the Braves don't wear a CNN logo, the Flyers don't wear a Comcast logo and the Jays don't wear a Rogers logo. The Canucks fit right in there... they don't wear an Orca Bay logo, they wear a Vancouver Canuck logo. They are quite different from one another; just look at them.

If the cooperation that owns the Canucks and GM Place wants to use an orca whale as their corporate logo, all the power to them. That doesn't mean, however, that a hockey team they own, who's name has no connection to orcas, should adopt one as their primary.

Bottom line? Those who pay the bills make the rules. The corporate types who own the Canucks can - and will - use whatever logo they want for their hockey team, in spite of what logic might dictate should be used... and certainly regardless of what we fans feel is appropriate.

Hmmm... does everyone understand that any old jackass can just go on to wikipedea and type in anything they want? There's no fact checking. If you're looking to do some actual research... you may want to avoid.

Yes I do, that's why in my post I suggested also following the links given on the page... because the linked pages are not on Wiki, they can't be screwed with.

Wiki's usually good for links to solid info, at the very least.

So thats all they do? Run the Canucks? No other business venture anywhere in the grand scheme? Is it just a bunch of stoners who got togather one day and said, "Hey, lets pool our cash and buy a hockey team and like...... A rink man."

Oh, come on.

"Canuck" is a broad term, and yes, it refers to Canadians. But a lumberjack is no more a Canuck than an orca is. Do you want to learn about Johnny Canuck? Here's the wiki page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Canuck

Where does it say he is a lumberjack? Follow some of the links about him and tell me where in any of them does it say he is a lumberjack. The lumberjack was chosen for the Pacific Coast/Western Hockey League Canucks logo because it can be identified with Canada's Pacific Northwest; JUST AS THE ORCA CAN! In fact, souvenir merchandise in Vancouver's touristy Gastown is constantly covered with orca representations, because orcas are well-identified with the Pacific coast. So is Native artwork, and both it and the orca are represented in the hockey team's logo. The orca is also used quite a bit in Native art.

No, the Braves don't wear a CNN logo, the Flyers don't wear a Comcast logo and the Jays don't wear a Rogers logo. The Canucks fit right in there... they don't wear an Orca Bay logo, they wear a Vancouver Canuck logo. They are quite different from one another; just look at them.

Johnny Canuck has been may things over the years, a lumberjack, a farmer, even a RCAF pilot. That's the genius thing about naming a team in Canada the Canucks. If the team's in Vancouver you can use a lumberjack. If the team's in the prairie provinces you can use a farmer. If you want the team to have a WWII theme you use the fighter pilot (besides, the RCAF roundel would make a great alt. logo).

Johnny Canuck's just as much a lumberjack as he is a pilot or a farmer. It's that aspect about him that makes him a better logo for the Canucks then the orca.

He's Johnny Canuck, he's the personification of Canada (like Uncle Sam and the US or John Bull and the UK). He's a lumberjack, that ties in the with geographical area of the team. Perfect.

The orca has nothing to do with the name "Canucks."

Who cares if it ties into the area, there's already an other logo that does that just as well, and that logo also represents the team name (Johnny Canuck).

If the orca is such a great logo for a Vancouver hockey team, change the name to the Vancouver Orcas or the Vancouver Killer Whales.

As it stands now though the team name is the Canucks, and an orca whale makes as much sense for a Vancouver Canucks logo as an orange would for a Tampa Bay Lightning logo.

As for the Canucks not wearing an Orca Bay logo but a Vancouver Canucks logo, I'm not so sure. I can't find a separate Orca Bay logo. Wikipedia uses the Canucks logo for their Orca Bay entry, and I Googled "Orca Bay logo" and came up empty. So as far as I can tell, the company uses the Canucks' orca logo as both the logo for the hockey team and as the corporate logo.

I'm well aware of that ...especially consdering we lived through the Harold Ballard years ....:D

I consider myself lucky :D MLSE management decisions drive me nuts now....I think I would have taken a shot at Ballard if I lived through those years.

If the cooperation that owns the Canucks and GM Place wants to use an orca whale as their corporate logo, all the power to them. That doesn't mean, however, that a hockey team they own, who's name has no connection to orcas, should adopt one as their primary.

Bottom line? Those who pay the bills make the rules. The corporate types who own the Canucks can - and will - use whatever logo they want for their hockey team, in spite of what logic might dictate should be used... and certainly regardless of what we fans feel is appropriate.

in theory, the corps who own the teams could put their label strait on to the team. Ford owns the lions, if they wanted too they could tear apart the lions moniker all together and renamed the team Ford AFC(American Football Club) and use the Ford logo as the primary. THe only reason they don't do it along with most corporate people who own the teams is fan backlash. Fans in detroit would never tolerate the lions being rebranded as Ford AFC with Ford logo/colors. But since they are the owners of the team, could if they wanted too and had the stones to do so.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

So what's the point of even having a corporate tie-in if that's all the company really does?

in theory, the corps who own the teams could put their label strait on to the team. Ford owns the lions, if they wanted too they could tear apart the lions moniker all together and renamed the team Ford AFC(American Football Club) and use the Ford logo as the primary. THe only reason they don't do it along with most corporate people who own the teams is fan backlash. Fans in detroit would never tolerate the lions being rebranded as Ford AFC with Ford logo/colors. But since they are the owners of the team, could if they wanted too and had the stones to do so.

The NFL doesn't allow that. What on Earth are you talking about? You're high. Shut up.

As for the Canucks not wearing an Orca Bay logo but a Vancouver Canucks logo, I'm not so sure. I can't find a separate Orca Bay logo. Wikipedia uses the Canucks logo for their Orca Bay entry, and I Googled "Orca Bay logo" and came up empty. So as far as I can tell, the company uses the Canucks' orca logo as both the logo for the hockey team and as the corporate logo.

As far as I know, in Canada the corporate logo for Orca Bay Sports & Entertainment is...

orcabay.gif

The whale figure at the upper right, as well as the words SPORTS & ENTERTAINMENT, are Black. The partial whale which can be seen descending on the logo's left-hand side, as well as the words ORCA BAY, are Blue. The remainder of the logo is Red.

This logo was filed for trademark status with the Canadian Intellectual Property Office on August 18, 1995, registered by CIPO on June 18, 1997 and, to the best of my knowledge, remains in effect today.

Conversely, while the very same logo was filed for trademark status with the United States Patent and Trademark Office on November 20, 1995 and registered by USPTO on May 16, 2000, it was cancelled for protection in the United States on February 24, 2007.

This much is certain: Orca Bay Sports & Entertainment and the Vancouver Canucks had separate - albeit, killer whale-inspired - logos for the better part of a decade, in both Canada and the United States. It would appear that this could still be the case in Canada.

Finally, Wikipedia is as a error-prone a source for information as can be found on the internet. It should only be cited as an absolute last resort.

Finally, Wikipedia is as a error-prone a source for information as can be found on the internet. It should only be cited as an absolute last resort.

True - you should only cite Wikipedia if Wikipedia itself provides a citation for any assertion.

Then again, as a Wikipedia editor, I'll tell you that you should also remove any wrong or uncited information that you find there, but that's another story....

Archived