front side baseball numbers

karby65

Which baseball teams would look better if they drop their front number? Would like to see Colorado, Pittsburgh, Chi Cubs (road), Texas (home), LA Angels, and Cincinnati (new roads) loose their numbers. Any others? The Cardinals, Dodgers, and A's look great with them.

heh, I remember when the Cards dropped their front numbers for a few years...they kinda looked naked without em, to put it bluntly.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I don't really like the Dodgers front numbers because they are the only red place in the whole jersey

Actually, I think that's what makes it look good. Plain blue with white or grey are weak color combinations (see KC). The red is the salt of the LA jersey.

And let's be honest. It just wouldn't be a Dodger jersey without it. :D

I don't really like the Dodgers front numbers because they are the only red place in the whole jersey

Actually, I think that's what makes it look good. Plain blue with white or grey are weak color combinations (see KC). The red is the salt of the LA jersey.

Yeah exactly. That's what makes it unique, it's been around forever, and besides, I think it actually looks pretty good.

Agreed - it's the little touch that elevates the Dodger jersey to greatness.

Personally, I don't like the front numbers on uniforms that feature the cap logo - the Rockies alts and White Sox spring to mind. It looks somehow unbalanced to me.

I 100% agree with you about the Dodgers.

As for what the Buccos would look like, just get an old picture of Clemente because they are modeled after that set and they didn't have a front number. I like the Bucco numbers on the front though. I just hate the new rec league softball jersey they are going to wear on Friday night home games.

KISSwall09.jpg

If the Mets insist on keeping the atrocious black uniforms, the least they could do is drop the front digits on those...

Keep it on the Pinstripes, White, and Gray though...

And I think the Rockies, and Cubs should keep them on as well...

And finally, yes, the red #'s that LA has are untouchable.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

The Dodgers were the first team to wear front numbers starting in 1952. They were going to debut them in the 1951 World Series but some guy named Thomson screwed up their plans so they waited until the start of the '52 season. And since they WERE the first to wear them they CAN and MUST stay red. They look very classy. Some of you youngsters have no respect for tradition.

The Dodgers were the first team to wear front numbers starting in 1952. They were going to debut them in the 1951 World Series but some guy named Thomson screwed up their plans so they waited until the start of the '52 season. And since they WERE the first to wear them they CAN and MUST stay red. They look very classy. Some of you youngsters have no respect for tradition.

I am not a youngster and have SOME respect for tradition. I respect keeping a classic uniform like the Yankees and Celtics, but I have no respect for RED Dodger numbers and Notre Dame's helmets. Those both aren't really traditional. They are just lazy all those years for never upgrading :P Can't say I've ever heard someone say they bleed Dodger "red"

KISSwall09.jpg

The Dodgers without red numbers are the Royals. The red numbers are fantastic, though I couldn't see a team introducing a uniform like that in this era.

Front numbers are OK if your script / wordmark is not arched, otherwise IMO it looks silly.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Front numbers are OK if your script / wordmark is not arched, otherwise IMO it looks silly.

In most cases, yes. The Angels manage to pull it off, though, with the arched script leaning to the left slightly to accommodate the numbers.

VmWIn6B.png

In most cases, yes. The Angels manage to pull it off, though, with the arched script leaning to the left slightly to accommodate the numbers.

the cardinals looked ok in 97 w/o the number, but when they modernized the birds and all after the 97 season, it looked a bit silly. although, the numbers are smaller since '99, which makes them better than when they were a bit large from '96 and earlier. about the angels and pirates, the numbers are a huge distraction from their team word mark. the focal point should be the name, not number. the script should not acccomodate the number.

Hormone, what don't you understand? The Dodgers were the FIRST, ORIGINAL, INITIAL team to wear front numbers in baseball. I don't know how much more traditional they could be. They can do as they please. They, after all, wrote the freakin' book! Everyone else just copied the idea. Are you going to rag on the Yankees for having red in their logo?

Anyone remember when the Cubs had road uniforms with an arched "CHICAGO" and numbers centered under the wordmark? They looked like basketball uniforms!

Image at Hall of Fame's "Dressed to the Nines"

I'm old enough to vaguely remember those jerseys. THAT is a look no one should emulate. It looks like an old Evansville Purple Aces jersey.

As for the Dodgers, I love the red front number. It is true that there is no other red in the uniform, however there is red in the primary logo.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Hormone, what don't you understand? The Dodgers were the FIRST, ORIGINAL, INITIAL team to wear front numbers in baseball. I don't know how much more traditional they could be. They can do as they please. They, after all, wrote the freakin' book! Everyone else just copied the idea. Are you going to rag on the Yankees for having red in their logo?

No, I just feel that the red is out of place with the rest of the uniform. The Pirates used red as a trim on the Pirate's bandanna and now look what they will be wearing on Friday nights. Like I said, sometimes tradition looks like a lazy way to avoid upgrading. That's just the way I feel. I feel that way about Dodger red numbers, ND's helmets, and gray facemasks. As far as the Yanks, yes, red is in their logo, but where do you see it on the uniform? Wouldn't it look odd if they trotted out with red numbers on their chest?...but by everyone's logic, if the originally did it in 1950, that makes it ok then.

KISSwall09.jpg

No, I just feel that the red is out of place with the rest of the uniform. The Pirates used red as a trim on the Pirate's bandanna and now look what they will be wearing on Friday nights. Like I said, sometimes tradition looks like a lazy way to avoid upgrading.

You're talking about change for change's sake. Not every team should "upgrade" their look.

In any case, I wouldn't exactly look to the Pirates as an example of what should be done....

Archived