New Orleans investors want MLS team

BRYWHIT

Not sure if this would work... but I'd love to see Becks in NOLA. Maybe they'd play in the dome until a soccer ready stadium were built.

Possible nicknames:

New Orleans Storm???? that'll never happen

FC New Orleans?

New Olreans Ununited? Another poor taste nod

These are tongue in cheek by the way.

I think some thing with tradition would be nice

Rex New Orleans

NOLAbanner.jpg

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I realize that this is an awful name, but...

Background thinking

1.In keeping touch with the MLS' current ways of using European esque club names

2. Relation to current sports franchises ( New Orleans Saints )

3. The large French tradition

4. St. Charles Ave

Based upon Paris-Saint Germain FC

New Orleans-Saint Charles Football Club

Not sure if this would work... but I'd love to see Becks in NOLA. Maybe they'd play in the dome until a soccer ready stadium were built.

Source please? I am an avid follower of MLS and have NEVER heard anything even resembling a rumor that New Orleans was looking to get a team. San Jose, Philly, STL, Milwaukee, OKC, and a couple USL cities are in front of the line.

Without a source, it just reads like a "Wouldn't it be cool if?" which I think would be better placed in the Concepts forum.

Source please? I am an avid follower of MLS and have NEVER heard anything even resembling a rumor that New Orleans was looking to get a team. San Jose, Philly, STL, Milwaukee, OKC, and a couple USL cities are in front of the line.

Without a source, it just reads like a "Wouldn't it be cool if?" which I think would be better placed in the Concepts forum.

My Webpage

More info is sure to come...

NOLAbanner.jpg

If it werent for the Columbus Crew already in MLS, I would suggest the Krewe of New Orleans. That is based off of the groups that hold various parades throughout the Mardi Gras season.

As far as soccer in New Orleans, I would like to see it. Would probably get me into soccer more than Tulane's teams (if they have them).

With all the problems that city has faced over the last two years, I can't believe they are even considering bringing a soccer team there. Forget about all the people that are STILL homeless over there from Katrina, let's bring in a sport no one cares about and throw a lot of money into it. It doesn't get more ridiculous than that.

Louisiana Bayous

I really, really like that one. I was trying to think of something to go with Louisiana, but that one is great.

If it werent for the Columbus Crew already in MLS, I would suggest the Krewe of New Orleans. That is based off of the groups that hold various parades throughout the Mardi Gras season.

As far as soccer in New Orleans, I would like to see it. Would probably get me into soccer more than Tulane's teams (if they have them).

Well, what about the New Orleans Mardi Gras? As long as the logo and jersey weren't too over the top, I think this could be interesting.

jman077.png

Sig courtesy of LEWJ

There also is a movement to bring a franchise to the Phoenix area as well...although they are already saying that they'd need a soccer-specific, retractible roof stadium to do it though.

That would be THREE retractible roof venues in the Phoenix metro area.

If you want to be in keeping with the bizarre trend in MLS of using the names of horrible, deadly disasters, then Brywhit's suggestion of "New Orleans Storm" or even "New Orleans Hurricanes" would fit right in with the Chicago Fire and the (eventually returning) San Jose Earthquakes!

(Of course I am aware that MLS did not orginate those two absurd names: Chicago Fire - WFL; SJ Earthquakes - NASL. Still, I find them absolutely nutty -- just as nutty as I'd find "New Orleans Hurricanes"!)

We have one MLS name which refers to a man-made disaster, and one which refers to a natural disaster. Seen this way, "New Orleans Hurricanes" would split the difference, since that disaster was both natural AND man-made!

Please understand that I am not waging some effete campaign against violent imagery in names! Teams called "Predators", "Marauders", or even "Killers" would be fine by me, since these are all clearly metaphorical names; these names jibe well with the metaphorical battle that forms the essence of team sports.

But when a name conjures up a real-world disaster, as do those two existing MLS names, then I am reallly uncomfortable with it.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

With all the problems that city has faced over the last two years, I can't believe they are even considering bringing a soccer team there. Forget about all the people that are STILL homeless over there from Katrina, let's bring in a sport no one cares about and throw a lot of money into it. It doesn't get more ridiculous than that.

Well, you have a growing Hispanic population thanks to Katrina - maybe they'd come out to it?

They're probably going to see how the MLS event coming up this weekend as a measuring stick - but I mean, I've seen little promotion of the event. Of course, your mileage may vary.

kU6ns.gif

Louisiana Bayous

No.

This is completely silly. The Shell Shockers are a PDL team, and virtually no one's heard of them in town. Heck, it took Soccer America pointing it out for Shell (the folks that actually sponsor them) to dish out $1 million to fix Pan-American Stadium at City Park just so they could play in town. When Rochester, St. Louis, and San Jose are all waiting for franchises, talk of getting a team in New Orleans is either just wild speculation or serious consideration by folks who (1) have more money than brains or (2) need to have their heads examined to see if they actually have anything between the ears.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

This will not happen. A local developmental team , the New Orleans Shell Shockers, draw about 800 a game. The New Orleans Riverboat Gamblers (who later became the Storm) played in the A league in a high school stadium (one year at AAA baseball Zephyr field) for about ten years and folded. I would LOVE the city to get an MLS team. Hell, I'd love an A league team back , but it won't happen. If the Hornets relocate, maybe. The increasing Hispanic population is seriously increasing club soccer participation and the game ,thankfully,will have an increased presence here.

"We root for the laundry"

(Jerome Seinfeld)

Hmmmmm. Off the top of my head...

New Orleans Delta Demons

New Orleans Showboats

New Orleans Masquers

New Orleans Crescents

Crescent City Soccer Club (Crescent City SC)

Crescent City Athletic Club (Crescent City AC)

Pelican Athletic Club (Pelican AC)

New Orleans Pelican Soccer Club (New Orleans Pelican SC)

Archived