New Orleans investors want MLS team

BRYWHIT

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With all the problems that city has faced over the last two years, I can't believe they are even considering bringing a soccer team there. Forget about all the people that are STILL homeless over there from Katrina, let's bring in a sport no one cares about and throw a lot of money into it. It doesn't get more ridiculous than that.

What do you really know about how we are living here? Nothing. For your information, many of us are existing just fine with the good graces of having SPORTS to help through the fact that many of us have lost everything! Soccer is huge in the suburbs here(not to me), where most of the population has returned and are rebuilding their homes. Please fell free to check out NOLA.COM or some other source before posting assumptions about peoples lives. Thanks

New Orleans Guardsmen

Saints2.pnglsu21bcs1.png

saintsflagbd4.jpg

What do you really know about how we are living here? Nothing. For your information, many of us are existing just fine with the good graces of having SPORTS to help through the fact that many of us have lost everything! Soccer is huge in the suburbs here(not to me), where most of the population has returned and are rebuilding their homes. Please fell free to check out NOLA.COM or some other source before posting assumptions about peoples lives. Thanks

New Orleans Guardsmen

I have no idea how you are living personally, but there are people that "lost everything" and are still struggling to make ends meet because of Katrina. I know some of them. They are still trying to rebuild. There are still hospitals that were shut down in New Orleans (like Charity Hospital) that are still looking for funding to rebuild. It just seems like spending millions of dollars for guys to kick a ball around is bit foolish seeing as there are still more urgent needs at hand. There are probably better things they could do with that money to better assist people that are still in need, like building hospitals that were destroyed. Glad to hear you are you are back to normal but there are still people that are not. They are not assumptions, they are facts.

New Orleans Guardsmen

I have no idea how you are living personally, but there are people that "lost everything" and are still struggling to make ends meet because of Katrina. I know some of them. They are still trying to rebuild. There are still hospitals that were shut down in New Orleans (like Charity Hospital) that are still looking for funding to rebuild. It just seems like spending millions of dollars for guys to kick a ball around is bit foolish seeing as there are still more urgent needs at hand. There are probably better things they could do with that money to better assist people that are still in need, like building hospitals that were destroyed. Glad to hear you are you are back to normal but there are still people that are not. They are not assumptions, they are facts.

Forgive me, but how dare you presume to tell me how people are living down here, because you know some of us? Ask them how much the Saints meant to them. Ask a kid how much it would mean to him if there were no Saints or other sports attempting to come here and all you worried about were the bad stuff. Attitudes like yours would like us to sit in our FEMA tralers stairing at the walls crying," woe is me" Sorry, no! If investors come, it will be because New Orleanians are desperate for an escape from the MAILAISE that is post-Katrina South LA, and that's what sports provide.

Saints2.pnglsu21bcs1.png

saintsflagbd4.jpg

How about NO New Orleans!!!! NO as in zip, zero, zilch. Why would New Orleans be viable to MLS? Im sorry but thats the last place that MLS should EVER think about putting a team. Heres the next few expansion teams: (from my ass of course)

St Louis

San Jose/Fremont/SJSU...?

New York

Chicago (not my idea)

San Diego

Seattle

Portland

OKC

Miami..........why not

Tampa Bay....it wasnt that bad, was it? Not that I recall

Milwuakee

Cleveland

Phoenix

Maybe even another Canada team

New Orleans isnt a sports town, never will be. Even the Saints will be gone soon, enjoy it while you can.

From what I've been reading, it looks as if some sort of handshake agreement is there for a new stadium in San Jose. It just needs to be finalised and put into writing, but don't quote me on that. Perhaps an opening day announcement?

Back on topic. I say, let the club just grow into a nickname instead of forcing one onto it...but that's just my two penneth.

Forgive me, but how dare you presume to tell me how people are living down here, because you know some of us? Ask them how much the Saints meant to them. Ask a kid how much it would mean to him if there were no Saints or other sports attempting to come here and all you worried about were the bad stuff. Attitudes like yours would like us to sit in our FEMA tralers stairing at the walls crying," woe is me" Sorry, no! If investors come, it will be because New Orleanians are desperate for an escape from the MAILAISE that is post-Katrina South LA, and that's what sports provide.

You're right, I don't know how everyone's living down there. I guess I can only go off what I have heard from people I've talked to that do (or did) live there and what I've read and seen on TV. Maybe I'm out of line thinking that funding for new hospitals or funding to prevent similar things from happening again in the future are more important than a soccer team. Please forgive me.

And if you want to do the message board equivalent of yelling (i.e. using all capital letters), at least spell the word you are yelling correctly.

New Orleans Guardsmen

I like this.

I say, let the club just grow into a nickname instead of forcing one onto it...but that's just my two penneth.

I also like this. Just name it New Orleans SC and let the fans decide.

With all the problems that city has faced over the last two years, I can't believe they are even considering bringing a soccer team there. Forget about all the people that are STILL homeless over there from Katrina, let's bring in a sport no one cares about and throw a lot of money into it. It doesn't get more ridiculous than that.

New Orleans Guardsmen

So you're saying New Orleans has no more need for our tax dollars? OK good, we can reprogram the funds to use elsewhere. Huzzah! More money for social security! (I might actually see some of it some day). More money for Afghanistan! (the country where we still have some hope in). More money for rebuilding the rest of the Gulf Coast! (which also got smacked by the hurricane, but they don't have Bourbon Street to attract the media).

In all seriousness, New Orleans was oversaturated in terms of sports before the hurricane came and chopped the local population in half. Given the MLS' propensity to demand new stadia for its teams, I REALLY question whether New Orleans should get a team and otherwise waste Louisiana's very limited revenue streams.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I think what happened and what continues to happen in New Orleans is tragic. I think there are a lot of people who are suffering and a lot of national attention is needed in that region, extending beyond just New Orleans. I think that the people that have either stayed or returned to their homes in the devastated Gulf Coast region have shown a lot of courage and I admire their perseverance.

That said, can we please declare a moratorium on viability-of-New-Orleans-vis-a-vis-Hurricane-Katrina discussions every time a New Orleans topic comes up? Far be it from me to cut off any back-and-forth at the throat, but these discussions are so predictable and always come to the same end: someone not from New Orleans disagreeing with someone from New Orleans and some big talk from either side.

So, moving on, put a team in Rochester, NY. It's a market that has a stadium and will attract 10,000 per game. If the NFL can have Green Bay, MLS can have Rochester.

EDIT: Oh, also on topic, I like the Crescent City United.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Though I think this is pure fantasy, my vote would be for

Crescent City (FC, AC, SC, whatever) Has a nice UK feel to it.

You could also connect that with "City of New Orleans", great song, mostly about a train, but still.

It lacks a french tone, but perhaps the team could also be named in french (though I worry that crescent would be Croissant, which would just make people think of pastry, not soccer.)

Forgive me for sounding negative and a "homer", but I refuse to give any other market its due as far as whether or not they deserve a team until Philadelphia has an MLS franchise. Once that gets hammered out, then you can put teams wherever you want. Does N'awlins deserve a team? Maybe, but I can think of about 15 other cities that probably deserve them too.

philly.png

If investors come, it will be because New Orleanians are desperate for an escape from the MAILAISE that is post-Katrina South LA, and that's what sports provide.

Bingo.

Sports should be part of the rebuilding effort, along with cultural institutions like museums and theatres. Those are every bit as important to a thriving community as water and power, and unless you can demonstrate that the money going to them is preventing money from going to utilities, they are not in conflict.

Those are all part of a community, which is essential to restoring New Orleans. To focus solely on dollars and sense is, I think, to miss the point.

That having been said, I'm not sure that New Orleans is necessarily the place to put one of the expansion teams. What's the soccer culture like there?

If investors come, it will be because New Orleanians are desperate for an escape from the MAILAISE that is post-Katrina South LA, and that's what sports provide.

Bingo.

Sports should be part of the rebuilding effort, along with cultural institutions like museums and theatres. Those are every bit as important to a thriving community as water and power, and unless you can demonstrate that the money going to them is preventing money from going to utilities, they are not in conflict.

Those are all part of a community, which is essential to restoring New Orleans. To focus solely on dollars and sense is, I think, to miss the point.

Yes, sports are a big part of any community, but as far as NOLA goes housing, utilities, and re-opening of medical institutions should all come before spending money on a soccer stadium.

Archived