Montreal Canadiens test NHL's new jerseys

tomhunter8

http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/story....3d-e14df8d76040

Interesting quote and great news:

"But rumours of a dramatic overhaul of the Canadiens jersey seem unfounded, team vice-president Donald Beauchamp saying the new model will feature "essentially the same look."

The Canadiens version of the jersey will be revealed as September training camp nears."

"This sweater, this Bluenote, it's your life. That Bluenote never hits the floor. You wear that sweater with pride." Barclay Plager

plagerbrosdancing.jpg

Raise your hand if you are honestly surprised at the fact that the Habs jerseys are going to look essentially the same next season.

This article does confirm that the AHL will also be using the Edge jerseys.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Great, they weren't hard enough to find or expensive enough already.

The marketing people at Reebok and the NHL are a bunch of mindless jerks who will be the first against the wall when the revolution comes.

1zgyd8w.jpg

Great, they weren't hard enough to find or expensive enough already.

The marketing people at Reebok and the NHL are a bunch of mindless jerks who will be the first against the wall when the revolution comes.

Not until we guillotine Bettman.

The Habs will look noticeably different no matter how "essentially the same" they claim the uniform to be. The uniform cut will undergo a major change despite the PR spin that tells us otherwise. The NHL has been in damage control ever since word got out that the original idea was to tuck in the uniforms.

It is clear that this redesign is about money and not performance. The aleague wants to redesign as many teams as possible and resell new jerseys to the fans. With the skyward cost of these jerseys, I wonder how much more the NHL can suck the fan dry?

DEATH TO REEBOK

The Habs will look noticeably different no matter how "essentially the same" they claim the uniform to be. The uniform cut will undergo a major change despite the PR spin that tells us otherwise. The NHL has been in damage control ever since word got out that the original idea was to tuck in the uniforms.

It is clear that this redesign is about money and not performance. The aleague wants to redesign as many teams as possible and resell new jerseys to the fans. With the skyward cost of these jerseys, I wonder how much more the NHL can suck the fan dry?

I really couldn't disagree more. It's pretty clear to me after all I've read that the Edge is completely for performance, and if anything it's putting the fans up s*** creek, not marketing to them. I don't know many fans that are gonna be eagerly waiting to shell out 400 big ones for a jersey. But I do know that players love the moisture wicking, lighter-weight properties of the uniform. As for redesigns, I'm sticking by my prediction that it will not be as bad as people think; I really think most of the league is staying exactly the same in terms of design.

It's gonna be OK man.

I really couldn't disagree more. It's pretty clear to me after all I've read that the Edge is completely for performance, and if anything it's putting the fans up s*** creek, not marketing to them. I don't know many fans that are gonna be eagerly waiting to shell out 400 big ones for a jersey. But I do know that players love the moisture wicking, lighter-weight properties of the uniform. As for redesigns, I'm sticking by my prediction that it will not be as bad as people think; I really think most of the league is staying exactly the same in terms of design.

It's gonna be OK man.

1. I am more than excited to be shelling out $400+ CDN for a new Leafs home jersey... I have shelled out the dough for authentics before so I wont stop now.

2. About a month back Ryan Smyth complained that the moisture which was not absorbed into the jersey dripped into his gloves as the All-Star game progressed. I believe he said it best: "the water has to go somewhere." So as it stands, it seems to have the thinking behind it but he claimed it was deeply flawed when put to the test...

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

What they mean is the Habs are not redesigning the the striping pattern of the jerseys

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Other than the NHL shield now being placed under the collar, the ONLY two major differences between the Edge jersey and the current jerseys are the material it's made of and the fact that the sleeves will not be as baggy.

Seriously, that's it.

The sooner everybody realizes this, the less backlash there will be. For the same reason, I encourage more people to design Edge jerseys that do NOT use the All-Star jersey template. The moment you try, the moment you realize the Edge jerseys are not so bad afterall.

champssig2.png

Exactly. How many players did you ever hear say "aw man I just can't play in these jerseys someone needs to do something"? How many players severely altered their jerseys like we see basically half the NFL do? This isn't the 1920s where baseball players wore wool and flannel that held 12 pounds of water by the 6th inning.

Bettman and Co. just figured:

1. Hockey fans, perhaps more than any other sport, love jerseys

2. New/additional jerseys = sales

3. Let's change all the jerseys at once

4. Profit

Some junior executive probably said "but wait a minute, won't people balk at this? usually teams change a couple at a time if at all."

To which Bettman and Co. replied (basically) "We've been crapping on our loyal fanbase for about a decade and a half. And they STILL keep kissing our ass and calling it ice cream. Mainstream sports fans may not care for us, but those hardcore folks are suckers for everything we do."

Sorry Gary, but I see right through this. I'm never buying one of these jerseys and you are killing the league. I love hockey but more and more, I hate the NHL. I could do quite a bit with the money I spend on them, and all the time I get more inclined to take it elsewhere.

1zgyd8w.jpg

Exactly. How many players did you ever hear say "aw man I just can't play in these jerseys someone needs to do something"? How many players severely altered their jerseys like we see basically half the NFL do? This isn't the 1920s where baseball players wore wool and flannel that held 12 pounds of water by the 6th inning.

Bettman and Co. just figured:

1. Hockey fans, perhaps more than any other sport, love jerseys

2. New/additional jerseys = sales

3. Let's change all the jerseys at once

4. Profit

Some junior executive probably said "but wait a minute, won't people balk at this? usually teams change a couple at a time if at all."

To which Bettman and Co. replied (basically) "We've been crapping on our loyal fanbase for about a decade and a half. And they STILL keep kissing our ass and calling it ice cream. Mainstream sports fans may not care for us, but those hardcore folks are suckers for everything we do."

Sorry Gary, but I see right through this. I'm never buying one of these jerseys and you are killing the league. I love hockey but more and more, I hate the NHL. I could do quite a bit with the money I spend on them, and all the time I get more inclined to take it elsewhere.

It'd be funny if there was nothing to see through. There is the small but extremely likely possibility that the primary reason for the production of the Edge jersey was for performance enhancement and not strictly for financial gain.

Besides, hasn't it been said before that the actual Edge jerseys that are released in the summer will not be as bloody expensive as the All-Star jerseys?

champssig2.png

Besides, hasn't it been said before that the actual Edge jerseys that are released in the summer will not be as bloody expensive as the All-Star jerseys?

They aren't going to be over $400 for a numbered authentic but they are going to be significantly more than what the current numbered authentics cost.

1zgyd8w.jpg

Let me see, hockey jerseys are being infused with a shiny, plastisized material, designed to bead sweat.

How much do I want my sweat to bead, when I'm hanging out with friends at the pub, hoisting a ice cold Molson? How much do I want my hockey jersey to shine?

Hockey jerseys over a pair of jeans at the local bar, is a tradition where I come, and a great looking one, in a casual friendly place. Now I am being asked to wear something semi-plastic that clings to my body like Speedo material.

The NHL doesn't get it. They bow down to every corporation that wants to throw money down and try something "new" with their game. This is their latest two-step in this dance.

The most ridiculous thing of all of this, is how much damage control the NHL has gone into, as letterform rightly notes. The league is in a serious stage of atrophy and teetering on financial collapse in several markets, with a TV deal worse than soccer, and losing in the ratings to poker tournaments on ESPN2.

So Bettman's reaction to this crisis, is to weave bits of plastic-polymer into the thread of the jerseys and start selling "space jerseys" at 300 dollars a shot. Then they unveil this new idea, with some of the ugliest all-star jerseys ever seen by the eyes of man.

When the fan reacts negatively, they spin the thing all over their website, CBC and Versus, in an effort to brainwash us, that we love these jerseys, because they are "cool".

Meanwhile, the real issues challenging the sport go unaddressed and continue to fester and die.

Revolution?

Damn straight, sign me up, I want this Robespierre of a commissioner out of hockey.

Better get a couple extra Admirals jerseys then, just in case I don't like the fit of the new ones....

Tell me you're not refering to the GREY monstruosity :shocked:

Because these have to be the ugliest thing ever...

I mean it... an I like different and "out there" (like the Preds' Mustard).

I wouldn't mind seing the Habs try a little something different as an ALT, maybe like the Bulldogs.

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/story....3d-e14df8d76040

Interesting quote and great news:

"But rumours of a dramatic overhaul of the Canadiens jersey seem unfounded, team vice-president Donald Beauchamp saying the new model will feature "essentially the same look."

The Canadiens version of the jersey will be revealed as September training camp nears."

According to sports radio here in Vancouver, the Canucks used the new jerseys in practice the otherday as well. I would suspect that maybe the league is going to have every team try them out one last time in practice to make sure the players still like them and they don't say, burst into flame when combined with some esoteric brand of hockey tape.

Also, I agree with Clemente about the changes from the old jerseys to the new ones, at least in terms of shapes. Initially, I was not looking forward to the change at all, but after seeing the All Star jerseys, the change is really pretty minor in the shape and look of the player. They're just a little less baggy. Its not like we're talking early 80's NBA ball smuggling levels of tightness here. :D

Archived