Introducing the new third USMNT jersey

Mingjai

To go from the beauty and distinct look of the '06 World Cup kits (along with the brilliant "Don't Tread On Me" campaign) to this is a shame. This looks like a $20 fan jersey or a training top.

On the plus side, it's only a third. On the minus side, the red DTOM throwback they wore as a one-off before the World Cup last year was about 8,000 times better than this.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Remove the US Soccer shield, slap on a big, round C, and this would have looked at home as a batting practice jersey alongside the Chicago Cubs' home and road pinstripes in the late-1970s and early-1980s.

However, we are talking about a uniform for the current United States Men's National Soccer Team. So... HIDEOUS.

To go from the beauty and distinct look of the '06 World Cup kits (along with the brilliant "Don't Tread On Me" campaign) to this is a shame. This looks like a $20 fan jersey or a training top.

On the plus side, it's only a third. On the minus side, the red DTOM throwback they wore as a one-off before the World Cup last year was about 8,000 times better than this.

Completely Agreed

The "white pinstripes on a solid jersey" look screams 1988, give or take a few years (maybe because I basically wore a green version of this jersey around then). I'll reserve judgment until I see it in action, but I'm not terribly impressed.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I really don't want to be in the position of hating on anything our beloved national team wears.

But man, that's just awful. And it gets worse every time I see it. I've gone from "meh" to "barf" in just a couple of hours. It's not attractive on its own, and it badly, badly misses the established aesthetics of U.S. national iconography. I'm willing to forgive less than beautiful designs if they at least speak the language of U.S. national aesthetics -- horizontal red stripes, say, or blue sleeves with stars, or any of several basically ugly things that have already been tried -- but this? This is dangerously close to just burning a flag, in my book.

20082614447.png

... and it badly, badly misses the established aesthetics of U.S. national iconography.

On a somewhat related topic: If the United States Soccer Federation is committed to their current shield logo, is it too much to ask that they adjust colors within the mark to more accurately reflect our national iconography? In other words, place the stars at the top of the logo on a BLUE field, while rendering the stripes at the bottom of the logo in RED and White... as on the United States flag.

... and it badly, badly misses the established aesthetics of U.S. national iconography.

On a somewhat related topic: If the United States Soccer Federation is committed to their current shield logo, is it too much to ask that they adjust colors within the mark to more accurately reflect our national iconography? In other words, place the stars at the top of the logo on a BLUE field, while rendering the stripes at the bottom of the logo in RED and White... as on the United States flag.

I know people have posted recolorations here before, but here's how I would do it. Sorry if this is exactly the same as those who posted before, but there are only so many ways you can recolor this logo.

US-Soccer-Updated.jpg vs US-Soccer1.jpg

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

3rdJersey_244.jpg

LINK

I think it will take a while for this look to grow on me. Anyway, it looks like they'll either be worn with royal or white shorts and royal socks. I prefer the white shorts. As shown at the US Soccer Store

Why does it seem the USA always gets a raw deal on jerseys? They never have a good looking set. AAAAH!

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

I will be one of the few to say that I like the new jersey. I think it looks sharp and it will look good in action. It's different from what I normally see from soccer jerseys and I like that.

Ugh. I hate them.

I like the current homes, with the two vertical stripes. I think that's the sharpest design the USMNT has used. This? Ugly. Don't like the pinstripes at all.

I know people have posted recolorations here before, but here's how I would do it. Sorry if this is exactly the same as those who posted before, but there are only so many ways you can recolor this logo.

US-Soccer-Updated.jpg vs US-Soccer1.jpg

I couldn't agree more. The crest bothers the hell out of me every time I see it - the damn colors are reversed from what they should be.

This was my recolor, from a couple years ago:

USSoccer_new2.gif

I got the colors from Pantone - the official red and blue of the US flag. :D

Archived