2007 Major League Baseball Season

GreenShoe

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, thats got about as much chance of happening as does of Curt Schilling breaking the single season home run record, in the AL.

Dodgers = Overrated

Angels = Even more overrated

Ahhh, I love this time of year when I can scoff at the predictions of the major magazines. Its almost as good as scoffing at SI's NFL predictions.

Yeah, thats got about as much chance of happening as does of Curt Schilling breaking the single season home run record, in the AL.

Dodgers = Overrated

Ahhh, I love this time of year when I can scoff at the predictions of the major magazines. Its almost as good as scoffing at SI's NFL predictions.

Now you've done it, BucFan! :P

Granted, I'm unbelievably biased here :D , but I must disagree. Obviously, I don't find the Angels to be overrated. They have a whole slew of players who are going to have an interesting year. I have a feeling that the guy in my avatar's going to be huge this year. I also think John Lackey has Cy Young potential. They've got six good starters(Lackey, Weaver, Saunders, Colon...if healthy, Escobar, and Santana) and one of the best bullpens in baseball, including probably a top-5 closer in K-Rod. That bullpen can potentially get better if Colon comes back healthy, moving Joe Saunders as a long-reliever/spot starter. Granted, the big bat never arrived in the off season. However, they've done well with aggressive baserunning in the past, and I have a feeling it'll pay off again this season. Figgy's always a good possibility to lead the league in SBs. Add in guys like Kendrick, Matthews, Cabrera, and Erick Aybar, it's going to be fun to see the Halos on the basepaths. Another guy to keep your eye on is Mike Napoli. He's got good power, although he does strike out a bit more than most would like. I'm sick of typing, but you get the point.

Dodgers = Overrated

Granted, I'm unbelievably biased here :D , but I must disagree. Obviously, I don't find the Angels to be overrated. They have a whole slew of players who are going to have an interesting year. I have a feeling that the guy in my avatar's going to be huge this year. I also think John Lackey has Cy Young potential. They've got six good starters(Lackey, Weaver, Saunders, Colon...if healthy, Escobar, and Santana) and one of the best bullpens in baseball, including probably a top-5 closer in K-Rod. That bullpen can potentially get better if Colon comes back healthy, moving Joe Saunders as a long-reliever/spot starter. Granted, the big bat never arrived in the off season. However, they've done well with aggressive baserunning in the past, and I have a feeling it'll pay off again this season. Figgy's always a good possibility to lead the league in SBs. Add in guys like Kendrick, Matthews, Cabrera, and Erick Aybar, it's going to be fun to see the Halos on the basepaths. Another guy to keep your eye on is Mike Napoli. He's got good power, although he does strike out a bit more than most would like. I'm sick of typing, but you get the point.

Man, this is my second favorite thing. Friendly debate.

My thing against the Angels is the fact that theyre lacking this year just what they were lacking last year. Just what you said too, the big bat. I watched the Angels a ton last year living in Orange County and that was the complaint all year. Matthews I always thought was overrated and will struggle due in part to the newly gained target he has slapped on his back. Colon is inconsistant and im still doubting his health, as I am now with Weaver. So ill say this. If the Angels pen can be as brilliant as you say (which I think it could be), if the starters can stay healthy, if they can find a way to produce more runs (maybe if Anderson can step it up and stop being such a lazy bastard), and if the A's are still working off the loss of Zito (dont count on it, recovery has been their bread and butter for years) and if Scioscia can stop making some really bad decisions (Like the end of the Jeff Weaver starts last season) then they could be very successful. Thats quite a bit IMO though.

Let the games begin :D

NL East: Atlanta, New York, Florida, Philadelphia, Washington

NL Central: St. Louis, *Milwaukee, Chicago, Cincinnati, Houston, Pittsburgh

NL West: Colorado, San Diego, Los Angeles, Arizona, San Francisco

AL East: Toronto, New York, Boston, Tampa Bay, Baltimore

AL Central: Detroit, *Cleveland, Chicago, Minnesota, Kansas City

AL West: Oakland, Anaheim, Texas, Seattle

Come on folks, the question begs to be asked. If SI is correct will the winner be known as the World Champions of Los Angeles?

Please forgive me; it was just sitting out there for the taking.

Dodgers = Overrated

My thing against the Angels is the fact that theyre lacking this year just what they were lacking last year. Just what you said too, the big bat. I watched the Angels a ton last year living in Orange County and that was the complaint all year. Matthews I always thought was overrated and will struggle due in part to the newly gained target he has slapped on his back. Colon is inconsistant and im still doubting his health, as I am now with Weaver. So ill say this. If the Angels pen can be as brilliant as you say (which I think it could be), if the starters can stay healthy, if they can find a way to produce more runs (maybe if Anderson can step it up and stop being such a lazy bastard), and if the A's are still working off the loss of Zito (dont count on it, recovery has been their bread and butter for years) and if Scioscia can stop making some really bad decisions (Like the end of the Jeff Weaver starts last season) then they could be very successful. Thats quite a bit IMO though.

The big bat, I think, could come, but not in a homerun-hitting kind of way. I think Kendrick's gonna drive in a fair amount of runs this season. I have similar feelings towards Rivera(when he returns), Napoli, and Kotchman. I agree that I don't see much in Gary Matthews other than some more speed on the basepaths and some improved defense(Angels were last in the league last year in defense). Colon's health is an issue, but I think part of it was that he was rushed into playing full time again. He's had a year to rehab, and will probably spend early parts of the season on the DL, as will Weaver. Perhaps Weaver had some beginner's luck, but I fully expect him to return to what he was doing last season. Well, I guess I should say, I hope he goes back to the old 9-0 Jered Weaver that I saw last season. He's expected to return mid-April, so I suppose we'll find out. As far as Anderson goes, I'm kind of stuck there. Potentially, he can be a solid 20-25 HR hitter again, but I'm doubting that'll happen. He'll more than likely DHing more and more, especially once Juan Rivera returns to the lineup. Another possible option for power is Dallas McPherson, although I've all but given up on him. I mean, he was supposed to be the franchise player for the future, but has now fallen to 5th on the depth chart for his own position.

Oakland's gonna be a tough team to beat this year. There's no denying it. I'm not saying it's going to be an easy run to the World Series, but I definitely think the Halos can pull it off. The Angels won a World Series with less talented players and a spider monkey....oh, and thundersticks.

Dodgers = Overrated

The big bat, I think, could come, but not in a homerun-hitting kind of way. I think Kendrick's gonna drive in a fair amount of runs this season. I have similar feelings towards Rivera(when he returns), Napoli, and Kotchman. I agree that I don't see much in Gary Matthews other than some more speed on the basepaths and some improved defense(Angels were last in the league last year in defense). Colon's health is an issue, but I think part of it was that he was rushed into playing full time again. He's had a year to rehab, and will probably spend early parts of the season on the DL, as will Weaver. Perhaps Weaver had some beginner's luck, but I fully expect him to return to what he was doing last season. Well, I guess I should say, I hope he goes back to the old 9-0 Jered Weaver that I saw last season. He's expected to return mid-April, so I suppose we'll find out. As far as Anderson goes, I'm kind of stuck there. Potentially, he can be a solid 20-25 HR hitter again, but I'm doubting that'll happen. He'll more than likely DHing more and more, especially once Juan Rivera returns to the lineup. Another possible option for power is Dallas McPherson, although I've all but given up on him. I mean, he was supposed to be the franchise player for the future, but has now fallen to 5th on the depth chart for his own position.

Oakland's gonna be a tough team to beat this year. There's no denying it. I'm not saying it's going to be an easy run to the World Series, but I definitely think the Halos can pull it off. The Angels won a World Series with less talented players and a spider monkey....oh, and thundersticks.

Man, I still wanna strangle that damn monkey and pop those stupid thundersticks........

Dodgers = Overrated

Man, I still wanna strangle that damn monkey and pop those stupid thundersticks........

Oddly enough, so do I, but if it brings those kinds of results...

Don't write the Twins off so casually, Tank. The Minnesota farm system is a magical fountain of talent. Terry Ryan built that organization so that spare parts can always be seamlessly installed into the major league team, like the old Expos and Orioles that just seemed to have new talent moving up all the time. Liriano's absence will hurt, yes, but the Twins have won the Central four out the last five years. They know what they're doing.

Come on folks, the question begs to be asked. If SI is correct will the winner be known as the World Champions of Los Angeles?

Please forgive me; it was just sitting out there for the taking.

Yeah, there was a reason for that. <_<

:D

Archived