Team finland world junior jersey variation

spyboy1

I was able to watch the Team USA vs. Team Finland game of the World Junior Championship on the NHL Center Ice package today and noticed something about the Team Finland jerseys that surprized me.

Normally, they say "SUOMI" on them, as seen in this photo.

suomi.jpg

But today, they were wearing jerseys that read "FINLAND" above the shield. First, I had never seen this version before, and second, thought that it was really odd that they would chose to wear this variation in Finland of all places, the one place you would expect to see them with the name of their own country in their own language, at home since they are the host country this year.

Here's a pic from and earlier game against Canada.

finland.jpg

Is this a new version that reads "Suomi" across the bottom then? It must be fairly new if it is.

JeffB

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

*scratches head*

you don't see any team USA switching it up to Estados Unidos or any other translations, and I don't see why Finland decided the country name in the native tongue is suddenly not good enough, they gotta have it in english too. ???  what, they stopped speaking finnish?

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I remember one year--way back when--when the Canadian tema had "Kanada" or something like that for a tourney in the USSR (yes it was the USSR back then)

I also agree it is a good jersey as it was.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Ive had an interest in international jerseys for the longest time, and i definitly agree that the country's native language should be used on thier national team jerseys.

when belarus changed the western script on thier jerseys to the cyrillic script, it made a great jersey all that much better

Archived