Anyone Know Anything New About The Dolphins Jersey Change?

Rocky Raccoon

It just doesn't work that way Frywulf.

Numbers on jerseys are very commonly shown differently on teamshop sites than they actually appear. Varying outline widths, a block font but not the right block font, wrong dropshadows...it happens...and it happens a lot. And it usually isn't something they bother to fix. It just stays that way.

And while the 8 on the shoulder of the Roth jersey matches the chest, the 9 does not. The shadow on the shoulder 9 goes low while on the chest it goes high.

It's DEFINITELY a photoshop, and it's probably not accurate.

It would have to be a change in font (the 8 seems to be a font called MACHINE that is basically a crummy block font not used in major pro leagues that I know of) and have inconsistant drop shadows on the shoulders.

That's just not likely.

The shadow MIGHT switch locations, and it MIGHT become a drop shadow instead of a 3D one, but even still, this probably is not an accurate representation.

Nobody's calling out your credibility (although your snappy responses don't help), we're just using prior knowledge to point out that we're going to need to wait and see these things on the field before we know the change.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Online sites can make mistakes, even official ones. That was my entire point.

Yes, they can, but it seems to me to be a rather silly mistake to make when those jerseys have been worked on for God only knows how long and kept tightly under wraps until this past weekend. It also seems to me that if it were a mistake it would've been correct a while ago.

Sorry my comment offended you; God knows that no one dare question something if they saw it on an official internet site. I guess that's why Reebok gave me $100 off my Eagles jersey a few years back - they posted a picture of the Eagles' updated jerseys (silver outline + black drop shadow on numbers) but listed the jersey at the previous season's prices ($100 cheaper). They made the sale; it's not my fault that they - and many other sites - didn't pay close enough attention. By the time they caught their error, I had a $300 jersey for $200.

My point is this: the internet isn't infallible. Believe it or not, I could take a picture of a blank jersey, complete with tags, then PhotoShop on names and numbers. I could even put it on an OFFICIAL site. Doesn't mean that the jersey is correct. Many teams are surprisingly oblivious to the things that we talk about here all the time. But go ahead, keep clinging to your official whatever.

Look at this Ronnie Brown jersey, from the same OFFICIAL web site.

ronniebrown.png

Look at the wrinkling of the fabric, how the wrinkle lines continue on either side of the number - same orientation, same thickness - yet are curiously interrupted at the numbers, which show no evidence that they're wrinkled. If those numbers were being shot with the same light source as the jersey, they'd show evidence of wrinkles. But they don't... because they're not even on the jersey. This appears PhotoShopped. It can be done, teams HAVE done it. Clear enough for you?

Just answer this question, smart guy: Looking at the Roth jersey, the large numbers on the back have drop shadows going up and to the right relative to the number. The shadowing on the right shoulder "9" goes DOWN and to the right. The shadowing on the left shoulder "8" goes up and to the LEFT. Why on God's green earth would a team have their official uniform made with such lack of attention to detail? The shadows go in 3 directions - yet on every Dolphins jersey to date, all the shadows go in the same direction. If the best defense you have is a PhotoShopped picture (yes, it is... trust us), you'd be better off waiting for the draft on Saturday. Like I am.

Welcome to the boards - that thin skin of yours and your ability to acknowledge that you may just be mistaken when confronted by several non-collaborating sources will serve you well here. <_<

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Online sites can make mistakes, even official ones. That was my entire point.

Yes, they can, but it seems to me to be a rather silly mistake to make when those jerseys have been worked on for God only knows how long and kept tightly under wraps until this past weekend. It also seems to me that if it were a mistake it would've been correct a while ago.

Sorry my comment offended you; God knows that no one dare question something if they saw it on an official internet site. I guess that's why Reebok gave me $100 off my Eagles jersey a few years back - they posted a picture of the Eagles' updated jerseys (silver outline + black drop shadow on numbers) but listed the jersey at the previous season's prices ($100 cheaper). They made the sale; it's not my fault that they - and many other sites - didn't pay close enough attention. By the time they caught their error, I had a $300 jersey for $200.

My point is this: the internet isn't infallible. Believe it or not, I could take a picture of a blank jersey, complete with tags, then PhotoShop on names and numbers. I could even put it on an OFFICIAL site. Doesn't mean that the jersey is correct. Many teams are surprisingly oblivious to the things that we talk about here all the time. But go ahead, keep clinging to your official whatever.

Look at this Ronnie Brown jersey, from the same OFFICIAL web site.

ronniebrown.png

Look at the wrinkling of the fabric, how the wrinkle lines continue on either side of the number - same orientation, same thickness - yet are curiously interrupted at the numbers, which show no evidence that they're wrinkled. If those numbers were being shot with the same light source as the jersey, they'd show evidence of wrinkles. But they don't... because they're not even on the jersey. This appears PhotoShopped. It can be done, teams HAVE done it. Clear enough for you?

Just answer this question, smart guy: Looking at the Roth jersey, the large numbers on the back have drop shadows going up and to the right relative to the number. The shadowing on the right shoulder "9" goes DOWN and to the right. The shadowing on the left shoulder "8" goes up and to the LEFT. Why on God's green earth would a team have their official uniform made with such lack of attention to detail? The shadows go in 3 directions - yet on every Dolphins jersey to date, all the shadows go in the same direction. If the best defense you have is a PhotoShopped picture (yes, it is... trust us), you'd be better off waiting for the draft on Saturday. Like I am.

Welcome to the boards - that thin skin of yours and your ability to acknowledge that you may just be mistaken when confronted by several non-collaborating sources will serve you well here. <_<

:blink:

Well that explains that I guess

^_^

The team that kills me is the Browns. Their uniforms are horrible, they have no real logo at all, and for all their supposed "tradition", last I checked they had never even played in a Superbowl...

In this one short statement, you've summed up your sports iQ. Good Job.

Have fun trying to earn any credability for your opinions.

Wow, I don't know how I'll possibly survive with the knowledge that you don't respect my opinion. It almost brings me to tears.

I guess I should check my facts a little better before I dare to question the "tradition" of such a storied franchise as the Cleveland Browns. Just because they last appeared in a championship game 43 years ago, and have only won 4 playoffs games since 1970, that is no reason to question the overall "tradition" of that mightly franchise.

I should really re-evaluate my evaluation process. From now on as long as you have 1 successfull decade every century or so, and have a few hall of famers along the way, I'll be sure to rank them up with the great franchises of all time.

The team that kills me is the Browns. Their uniforms are horrible, they have no real logo at all, and for all their supposed "tradition", last I checked they had never even played in a Superbowl...

Wow, I don't know how I'll possibly survive with the knowledge that you don't respect my opinion. It almost brings me to tears.

I guess I should check my facts a little better before I dare to question the "tradition" of such a storied franchise as the Cleveland Browns. Just because they last appeared in a championship game 43 years ago, and have only won 4 playoffs games since 1970, that is no reason to question the overall "tradition" of that mightly franchise.

I should really re-evaluate my evaluation process. From now on as long as you have 1 successfull decade every century or so, and have a few hall of famers along the way, I'll be sure to rank them up with the great franchises of all time.

So you mean that the LA Dodgers, Montreal Canadiens, Boston Bruins, Chicago Blackhawks, Cincinnati Reds, Chicago Cubs, Miami Dolphins, Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, Detroit Tigers, Cleveland Indians, Pittsburgh Pirates, Kansas City Royals, Boston Celtics, New York Knicks, Philadelphia 76ers, Kansas City Chiefs, Oakland Raiders, San Diego Chargers, none of those teams have tradition just because they haven't won recently enough? (Yes, I'm aware that some of these teams have had mild success recently, but not sustained) Also, if you're going to basically call someone an idiot, please make sure you spell correctly.

I've decided to give up hope for all sports teams I follow

So you mean that the LA Dodgers, Montreal Canadiens, Boston Bruins, Chicago Blackhawks, Cincinnati Reds, Chicago Cubs, Miami Dolphins, Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, Detroit Tigers, Cleveland Indians, Pittsburgh Pirates, Kansas City Royals, Boston Celtics, New York Knicks, Philadelphia 76ers, Kansas City Chiefs, Oakland Raiders, San Diego Chargers, none of those teams have tradition just because they haven't won recently enough? (Yes, I'm aware that some of these teams have had mild success recently, but not sustained) Also, if you're going to basically call someone an idiot, please make sure you spell correctly.

I don't think I ever said the Browns had NO tradition. My original comment was related to the notion that certain teams should never change their uniforms, even if they are generally regarded as ugly or boring, because those teams have an elite "tradition" that spans generations and includes a high level of success over a prolonged period of time. Only a few of the teams you mention above would fall into that category.

My position on the Browns was, and still is, that they don't rise to that level, for the reasons I noted above. Most of the teams you mention also don't rise to that level, in my opinion. I just don't think their history is so glorious that a uniform change should be dismissed as inconceivable.

I just think that only a small handful of teams are so steeped in tradition that a uniform change would be shameful. That may put me in the minority, but I really don't think it makes me an idiot :blink:

If you had started from that premise, I doubt that you would have received nearly as much grief as you did.

Seems to me that the problem came when you said

for all their supposed "tradition", last I checked they had never even played in a Superbowl...

which certainly implies that one requires the other.

And which, you have to admit, is a pretty dumb thing to say. :D

I've never really bought into the tradition argument where uniforms are concerned. Tradition is a pride in a team's accomplishments, it's a hearts and minds thing, it shouldn't matter what uniform the teams wear so long as it isn't mutilated beyond recognition. There are certain teams, such as the Packers, that have color schemes that make it almost impossible to change their current jerseys and still look good; I can't imagine a Packers jersey with side panels, it would be an abomination. I don't know if the Browns qualify for a "no uniform change" policy based on those grounds, but I suspect not.

As for the jerseys Beck and Ginn are wearing, I don't think they're the new ones. I don't have a Fins jersey with the number seven on it, so I can't be sure, but I'm fairly positive those are the old style jerseys. In fact, they look suspiciously like replicas to me.

cttdolphins2.png

Why don't you try using that argument on a Cubs fan. Or a Blackhawks fan. Tradition is about more than winning, smart guy.

I've never really bought into the tradition argument where uniforms are concerned. Tradition is a pride in a team's accomplishments, it's a hearts and minds thing, it shouldn't matter what uniform the teams wear so long as it isn't mutilated beyond recognition. There are certain teams, such as the Packers, that have color schemes that make it almost impossible to change their current jerseys and still look good; I can't imagine a Packers jersey with side panels, it would be an abomination. I don't know if the Browns qualify for a "no uniform change" policy based on those grounds, but I suspect not.

As for the jerseys Beck and Ginn are wearing, I don't think they're the new ones. I don't have a Fins jersey with the number seven on it, so I can't be sure, but I'm fairly positive those are the old style jerseys. In fact, they look suspiciously like replicas to me.

And yeah, tradition is about the uniforms as much as anything else. What do you think about when you think Yankees? The the pinstripes. And like you said, the Packers' green and gold. And I do think the Browns are in "no-touch" area, see what the dawg pound would do if you put a logo on the helmet....

And those jerseys Beck and Ginn are wearing are authentic, last year's style. Beck's has the elastic sleeves, and they both have tackle twill numbers. You can tell by the size and lack of wrinkling in the digits.

When I think about the Yankees I want to barf and/or break something. I'm a Mariners fan and I'm still pissed that they stole Martinez.

I think the Browns would get over having their uniforms cleaned up (I do think the helmet should be left alone) and modernized slightly, just like stuck-in-the-mud Dolfans did. I think a radical, Atlanta-style change in a no-no, but doing something similar to what Jimmy Johnson did (modern, but still classy) wouldn't be so bad.

cttdolphins2.png

With the Browns to me, after so many years that tradition that you love becomes a negative connotation. Short of a couple of playoff appearances and a move to Baltimore, the only thing they've done in my (and probably most of your) lifetimes is lose, and that's a tradition that needs to be broken. If a radical uniform change would lose that outlook, maybe that's what it would take.

EDIT: And to whoever Chance Michaels is, your tripod account is asking for a password every page you've posted on.

The difference is that the Dolphins had a history of uniform tweaks and the Browns have a history of generally leaving things alone.

Could they get over it? Probably. But why should they have to? Why mess with something that works?

Then again, I'm the only Packer fan I know who wishes Ron Wolf had pulled the trigger on his uniform update, so take it for what it's worth. :D

Tweaks, yes. Very, very minor tweaks. Nothing like what Johnson did.

And as much as it pains me, I have to agree with the Pats fan. Sometimes, "tradition" isn't all that great and could do with being blown up. The Browns are such a case, IMO.

EDIT: Btw, Goth, that's a cool concept. If it had really ended up looking like that, it would've been pretty sweet.

cttdolphins2.png

I know they are supposed to change the numbers but the Dolphins also said they were looking into making more changes. Thing is I haven't seen or heard anything and now that they're selling Joey Porter jerseys I wonder if they're gonna change them at all. Anyone hear anything?

Here's the change. If you look, you can see the shadowing, numbers, and nameplates are thinned out a litlte bit. It makes them a little more readable. Other than that, it's barely a change. In fact I don't think most people would notice.

p3620619dt.jpg

FF_33485ALT1_xl.jpg

a disturbing trend that I hope this picture is not correct on, is the wordmark being so far from the collar. The Giants do it and so do a few others. The wordmark is great, but only when it is an even distance between the collar and the numbers. The distance is pretty great between the Seau and Porter Jerseys.

When I think about the Yankees I want to barf and/or break something. I'm a Mariners fan and I'm still pissed that they stole Martinez.

I think the Browns would get over having their uniforms cleaned up (I do think the helmet should be left alone) and modernized slightly, just like stuck-in-the-mud Dolfans did. I think a radical, Atlanta-style change in a no-no, but doing something similar to what Jimmy Johnson did (modern, but still classy) wouldn't be so bad.

You are a Mariner fan AND a Dolphin fan? Are you teal obsessed or do you just hate yourself? :)

Archived